Guest Eugene

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8

I bought the P-ATA version of the 400gb back when they first came out. Maybe late May of 2005?

I just bought a SATA version of the 400gb, but I have not fired it up yet.

I was quite happy with the performance of the P-ATA version, and I got it for a good price.

In other words, it was good enough for me to go buy a second drive.

Wish me luck. B)

My 10 cents....In the last 3 weeks I have purchased 4 Seagate 300GB 7200.8 drives, 3 SATA and 1 Ultra ATA. One of the SATA ones in a RAID array started making horrible noises after 3 days, and has been returned. The ATA was in an external enclosure, and after 5 days, it isn't powering up at all, and will be returned as dead. I work in the industry and have NEVER had problems like this before....not happy.

i am really confused about this drive based on reviews. it seems most reviews i read have been postive except in SR. most reviewers in newegg have it 5 eggs also. i just purchased this drive last week cuz it was on sale from newegg. i dunno if it'll die on me but i'm using it basically as a slave drive to temp hold video files for viewing so it's not important.

but for most people who've had it. what's the performace and reliability? i don't care about noise since the external enclosure position will be near my tv so i won't hear it. and as for warranty, how's seagate's response when you had to exchange it for a replacement?