Sign in to follow this  
pgppuppy

Boot to usb device. Any news?

Heard that intel got new chipset that can boot into usb device. Does that mean I can bring my own 2.5 mobile HDD around and boot into it? Anyone has any insight to share? Thanks!

Quite a few recent motherboards can boot from an USB device.

This function is supported by the motherboard's BIOS, nothing to do with the chipset.

SMC is right. Infact support for this is getting kind of old. I remember some time back a few OEMs had boot to USB set as default so when somebody left a USB thumb drive in it would try to boot to it.

pgppuppy: not being able to boot eg. WinXP from a USB drive is a limitation of the OS and not the hardware/bios. If I recall correctly, it's because of security issues. If booting XP from a USB device was possible, you could gain access to all computers able to boot from USB.

That being said, I don't know if there's a workaround. I hope there is, though as I'd really like to be able to boot to a USB drive containing an image for all my computers so I could easily have a clean install.

Heck, the Knoppix Linux distribution has a version specifically tailored for USB flash drives. I've used it to boot a computer as old as a circa-2000 Intel D810EMO board. (Which has no floppy port, so boot from USB is fairly important.)

pgppuppy: not being able to boot eg. WinXP from a USB drive is a limitation of the OS and not the hardware/bios. If I recall correctly, it's because of security issues. If booting XP from a USB device was possible, you could gain access to all computers able to boot from USB.

202028[/snapback]

The security concerns are NO greater then if you boot from a CD-ROM or a floppy disk. For people who wish to prevent USB device bootup, you simply turn the option off in the CMOS settings and then enable setup password.

Of course, with full, unfettered physical access to the machine, there is real security.