Sign in to follow this  
Caracal

Holy crap!

I just loaded up Windows, and when i tried to access my 400GB backup drive, it said "this drive has not yet been formatted, would you like to format it now?"

I almost crapped my pants! Is this some kinda early warning sign that my drive is going to die soon.. or is it more likely that Windows is just being quirky?

The drive itself is not even 6 months old... :o

I just loaded up Windows, and when i tried to access my 400GB backup drive, it said "this drive has not yet been formatted, would you like to format it now?"

I almost crapped my pants! Is this some kinda early warning sign that my drive is going to die soon.. or is it more likely that Windows is just being quirky?

The drive itself is not even 6 months old... :o

201892[/snapback]

Ohh, and after that, i just rebooted, and the drive is "back to normal" :huh:

The drive's always been connected, and it's never done this before... It's not been making any strange noises.. and i've checked various MD5 checksums on the drive... doesnt seem to be any corruption or anything :o

I've not checked the SMART status yet, where do i do that exactly? In my system BIOS?

I was just doing a forum search on "holy crap" and came across this thread.

ROFL

I've seen this behavior before. In certain reboot situations, some drives aren't ready in the amount of time that the bios expects, hence the "drive not ready" or somesuch error. Usually a hard reboot solves the problem.

Ahh ok :)

Well the drive seems to be acting normally now.... Can't wait till those holographic disk things come out at the end of the year! Hello solid-state backups!

I had a similar situation with a system before. I used to get checksum errors on cold and warm boots. I switched the memory and problem solved. Maybe it might be a problem with your memory.