Sign in to follow this  
hachigo

RAID 0 Question

Hello,

I'm running 2 Western Digital 40GB (WD400JB) 7200 rpm 8mb cache drives in RAID 0 config. connected to some PCI IDE RAID card with a Silicon Image RAID controller. The drives are on individual channels. The card is connected to the 2nd PCI slot (the 1st one is empty to give some clearance for the VGA fan) and they are bus mastering slots. Oh and the stripe size is 16kb and it is formatted using NTFS with default cluster size.

I ran HDTach just to get an idea of the performance.

Here are the read results:

Max: upto 80mb/s

min: down to 30mb/s

avg: around 60mb/s

access time: 13.6ms

burst speed: around 90mb/s

cpu utilization: around 20%

Do those figures seem about right??

thanx for any input.

I forgot to add, this setup will be used to boot Win2K and run apps/games. Should I increase the stripe size from 16kb??

There was a linkto a stripe size comparison in this forum but it no longer works.

You've come to the entirely wrong place to ask about RAID. You are lucky a flame war has not started (YET) The site is frequented by non-raid o goonies. They being quiet now for some reason.

Hello,

I'm running 2 Western Digital 40GB (WD400JB) 7200 rpm 8mb cache drives in RAID 0 config. connected to some PCI IDE RAID card with a Silicon Image RAID controller.  The drives are on individual channels.  The card is connected to the 2nd PCI slot (the 1st one is empty to give some clearance for the VGA fan) and they are bus mastering slots.  Oh and the stripe size is 16kb and it is formatted using NTFS with default cluster size.

I ran HDTach just to get an idea of the performance.

Here are the read results:

Max: upto 80mb/s

min: down to 30mb/s

avg: around 60mb/s

access time: 13.6ms

burst speed: around 90mb/s

cpu utilization: around 20%

Do those figures seem about right??

thanx for any input.

201303[/snapback]

While the array certainly is operating to spec, it would be outclassed by a single raptor 74gig drive. It has about as much space, much faster access rate and about as fast an STR as your raid array.

You've come to the entirely wrong place to ask about RAID.  You are lucky a flame war has not started (YET)  The site is frequented by non-raid o goonies.  They being quiet now for some reason.

201329[/snapback]

I don't think SR on average has a problem with raid, but rather a problem with raid-0 (which isn't really raid anyway) for most applications. And as a lot of the hot rodder boards seem to push it as a panacea, it just tends to fuel the flames.

-Chris

Hi

The SIS Raid has it listed as "Block Size 128 K"

201345[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I'm running a 32k block size. In ATTO and HDTach I seem to hit the wall at 80mb/s in read speeds. It just won't go any faster than that.

You've come to the entirely wrong place to ask about RAID.  You are lucky a flame war has not started (YET)  The site is frequented by non-raid o goonies.  They being quiet now for some reason.

201329[/snapback]

I don't think SR on average has a problem with raid, but rather a problem with raid-0 (which isn't really raid anyway) for most applications. And as a lot of the hot rodder boards seem to push it as a panacea, it just tends to fuel the flames.

-Chris

201351[/snapback]

I wasn't trying to start a war. I don't think RAID-0 is king or anything. I just wanted to try something new and hopefully get a bit more performance. My P4 1.4@1.7 RDRAM rig getting a bit old and so I wanted to spice things up a bit. I could have bought a WD Raptor 74 GB and got the same (probably a bit better) performance but it would have cost me at least another $100 including the PCI SATA card, compared to what I bought the 2 IDE drives and IDE RAID card for.