norberto

Best VGA PDA

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I want to buy myself a (first) PDA. There are a few models with VGA resolution, and I guess that from this point forward it doesn't make much sense to buy a 320x240 PDA (unless for the price issue).

In my little research I found that the Dell Axim x50v and the Fujitsu Siemens LOOX 720 may be the best choice. The first features a great graphics controller, and the latter has USB connectivity to USB devices (not just synchronization).

What do you think is the best choice? If you think there's another model that is better than any of these two, please tell me about it.

Best regards,

Norberto Henriques

I just want to start and by saying, I'm still running with my Palm m100 PDA. (m100 Specs)

So why is VGA so important? PDAs are just that "Personal Data Assistants", they hold data for you! You know, names, phone numbers, addresses, task lists, passwords, etc. None of which need a colour display.

I guess, why are you getting a PDA and what will you use it for?

One of the reasons I haven't upgraded my m100 is becuase the serial port! It comes in handy connecting to managed switches and and I also use it for remote debugging of servers and applications. Beats lugging a laptop around. ;)

I bought one of the first Pilot 1000s on the market back in the mid 90s. I have been faithful to Palm ever since, having upgraded at almost every major model change. Now I use a Kyocera 7135 PDA/Phone, and have for the past two years. It sure beats carrying two devices around...but it's really large. The newer ones are smaller and trimmer...

I honestly think that smartphones really fill the needs of what a PDA used to be able to do. Even NON PDA phones now have address books, calendars, to do lists, etc., and most are able to synch such data with your PC. On the non-PDA phones you lose the ability to use pen input or have a good thumbboard. But devices like the Treo 600/650, the aforementioned Kyocera 7135, Motorola MPx, and a slew of other PDA phones can use pen input, act as PDAs, and also be good phones. I personally am lined up to get a new Motorola A780, which is Linux powered and has stylus and touchscreen input. It lacks the Palm application pool, but it has a MUCH better formfactor for a phone than the Treo 650...and besides, Linux on smartphones is cool...

I think is it VERY notable that Sony withdrew the Clie PDAs from the market to concentrate on smartphones, and even Palm bought Handspring to get their hands on Treo. Really consider what you want a PDA to do - if it's as a true Personal Digital Assistant, look at a smartphone like the Treo or A780. If you want web connectivity, word processing, and real office apps, maybe move up to something like a Zaurus or the Nokia 9300/9500 PDA/Phones with full keyboards and larger screens...

Future Shock

First of all let me apologise for being such a long time away from the thread (I lost track of it).

Well, I want to buy a PPC not only for the contact management features, but also for other reasons. Perhaps the main reason is the possibility of using a PDA as a GPS device on the road. Another feature that interests me is the wi-fi internet access and the possibility to browse a webpage, to check my email and to use MSN or VoIP (that's why I'm interested on a VGA - 640x480 - device, because the screen size and/or resolution will provide nearly enough room to browse through pages without any conversion).

About the USB connectivity, it means that one is able to connect USB devices to the Loox PPC, such as external hard drives.

Ah got you - yes that is one big complaint agaist the x50v - no usb, but you have it through a cable.

it does have a few companies who offer gps solutions for it, and being PPC Win2003se it has activesync to Outlook. You can get it with wi-fi (b not g) and bluetooth v1.2.

the internet browsing depends on what you are connecting through - LAN, bluetooth, cellular - I am in the process of trying to connect through my cell phone - I can dial up a regular ISP and I think it suggests a speed of 14.4k (which while being slow does work) but I am trying to connect to Bell Mobilitiy's 1x digital service in Canada and I can't seem to get it working.

Anyhow they are lots of fun and there is always gadgets to buy for them.

It's very common of the opinion you're hearing here.

Folks that have always owned Palm platforms are certain that Palm is the best. People whose primary portable device is a telephone then they will trt to convince you that a smartphone would be the best.

Someone that has a hard-on about Palm or Microsoft will try to convince you that anything is better than Palm or Pocket PC -- like Linux or Zaurus (still their own OS, right?) or uhh ... I can't remember the other.

Personally, I've owned every Newton that ever was made, almost all of the Palms, a Rex (remember that?) and currently I have an iPAQ, with vga, wifi, bluetooth, CF, and SD.

The device that was the best to me was the last generation of Newtons. That was a fine device.

The most stable and easy to use is definitely Palm. In my opinion the reason it is so stable is because it is a jumped up organizer. If that's what you're interested in -- a place to save your contacts and appointments -- Palm is the best. It never loses any data and there are very well crafted appointment and contact replacements.

The Pocket PCs are not very stable. They are rebooted often as many as a few times a day, and not very times do they make it longer than a couple of days without booting. The 3rd party appointment programs, for instance, are jokes, making their "upgrades" to the built in appointments are simply ways to change the color schemes, or maybe move things around on the screen.

Some folks like the smartphones -- but people like me who never use a cell phone the screen is far, far too small. If you live out of your cell phone having a smartphone can add some useful additions.

Personally, I don't use a phone and I'm far interested in the idea of having a real (small) computer in my pocket. In that case, the Windows 2003 Second Edition on a VGA screen is very nice. I have the iPAQ hx4700 and after four or five months (first Pocket PC) I'm beginning to make my hx4700 useful. The Pocket PC is much more closer to a Newton than it is to a Palm, though.

If your most important thing is to carry around your personal information, Palm is very nice. In many ways it is like a Mac -- you know, you don't have to learn very much to use the Palm, it isn't very exciting functions, but then again, it just keeps on working.

The idea that someone can say either Pocket PC or Palm is better is not possible. That's like trying to decide whether a dirt bike or a Harley is better. They 're both different.

-- Rick

P.S. I love having 2 GB of mp3's in my SD slot, played in a very high definition 2-channel playing in my hx4700...

x50v

Get one when dell has a nice sale and coupons available to drop the price to under $400

202405[/snapback]

Well, I live in Europe, and around here things usually don't work that way :(. I never bought anything using a coupon, and everything is overpriced here. For instance, the Dell x50v costs 529,95€ at the "local" Expansys website, and if you consider the currency in ourdays, you get the idea.

I've been a PDA evangelist since the Newton Message Pad 100 (I still have it, along with a MP 110, 120, 2K, Philips Nino, Casio, a string of iPaqs, and culminating in a Toshiba e800 (the first VGA PDA, released 2003/2004). I've given up on PDAs. I now own a Sony Vaio U50. Provided you can afford it, it's so superior as to be in a class of it's own. 900MHz Celeron, 256MB DRAM, 20G HDD, 800x600 SVGA color backlit touch-sensitive display, USB, 802.11, 1394, CF, MemoryStick, all in a convenient handheld size. Like the "OQO", the Vaio U50/70/71/750 are true PCs that fit in the palm of your hand. They represent a new class called "Handtop" and I highly recommend them over PDAs if you can afford the roughly 2x higher cost!