Topweasel

Stupid Question How do you Pronounce SATA

I frequent HARD OCP and came upon a discussion about S.L.I. versus Sly. Now i always thought i was pretty good at sticking to industry norms on prenounciations. Never called PCI pica never called ATA ahtah. But i was one of the first people to here of SATA and by instinct i started calling it Sah Tah it just sounded right, no i have gotten several people to call it sah tah. How do you guys pronounce it, i figured nowhere better then Storage review to get a good idea where i stand.

I frequent HARD OCP and came upon a discussion about S.L.I. versus Sly. Now i always thought i was pretty good at sticking to industry norms on prenounciations. Never called PCI pica never called ATA ahtah. But i was one of the first people to here of SATA and by instinct i started calling it Sah Tah it just sounded right, no i have gotten several people to call it sah tah.  How do you guys pronounce it, i figured nowhere better then Storage review to get a good idea where i stand.

200059[/snapback]

It is not pronounced, it is spelt out........ S A T A

Saying it as it appears is the norm at my workplace. I haven't heard anyone spell it out that I can recall. We simply say sah tah.

Free

Here (at my work) it's "Serial A T A" and "Parallel A T A" (or just plain "I D E" which we also use for PATA). SCSI is still "scuzzy".

I guess this will turn into the whole "S Q L" vs "sequel" debate? :(

I just think of it like this. "S-ate-A"

Say it fast and you've got it! :P Heck as long as you know what your talking about who cares <_<

Just my .02$

Reprint from somewhere:

The Official List of how to say Acronyms: Brought to you by USMC2Hard4j00

1) SLI / S - L - I / Individual Leters

2) ATI / A - T - I / Individual Leters, There have been people who say this as a word... wtf are you smoking?

3) CPU / C - P - U / Individual Leters but now accorindg to Lazn.. its SeePoo

4) GUI / Gooey - Someone somewhere decided to make this a word

5) SCSI / Scuzzy - I think its cool... Saying S - C - S - I would somehow make it seem "less fast"

6) IDE / I - D - E / Individual Letters

7) SATA / Serial A - T - A / You are on hard drugs if you say SayTah

8) AMD / A - M - D / Let me here someone say it in one word like "and" Id kill em

9) RAM / "ram" the whole word...

10) ROM / "rom" the word....

11) USB / U - S - B

12) NIC / "nick" ... I have never heard anyone call is a N - I - C

13) GPU / G - P - U

14) HP (as in hewlett packard) / H - P ..... not like "hip" or some bull stinker

15) DVD / D - V - D... no divid lol

5) SCSI / Scuzzy - I think its cool... Saying S - C - S - I would somehow make it seem "less fast" 

200073[/snapback]

How about ski zee ? There is no "u" in SCSI, ski zee is a pronounciation of the letters . . . my 25C

The Official List of how to say Acronyms: Brought to you by USMC2Hard4j00

1) SLI / S - L - I / Individual Leters

2) ATI / A - T - I / Individual Leters, There have been people who say this as a word... wtf are you smoking?

3) CPU / C - P - U / Individual Leters but now accorindg to Lazn.. its SeePoo

4) GUI / Gooey - Someone somewhere decided to make this a word

6) IDE / I - D - E / Individual Letters

7) SATA / Serial A - T - A / You are on hard drugs if you say SayTah

8) AMD / A - M - D / Let me here someone say it in one word like "and" Id kill em

9) RAM / "ram" the whole word...

10) ROM / "rom" the word....

11) USB / U - S - B

12) NIC / "nick" ... I have never heard anyone call is a N - I - C

13) GPU / G - P - U

14) HP (as in hewlett packard) / H - P ..... not like "hip" or some bull stinker

15) DVD / D - V - D... no divid lol

Well I'd have to say that I agree with most of the above quote, except for SATA which I usually pronounce as a word, something like "Sat-ah". Sometimes I do call it "Serial ATA" but mostly I just say it like a word.

How about ski zee ? There is no "u" in SCSI, ski zee is a pronounciation of the letters . . . my 25C

Blasphemy!

I prefer sahtah - close to Satan :) I also use serial atah though. Never S A T A. Way too long. I think the longer the acronym, the more likely it'll be made into a word rather than spoken in letters.

sat-ah, with soft "a"s.

I prefer to spell it out, S A T A or "ess-ATA".

Actually when people ask me if I'm running IDE or SATA or whatever, I just tell them I run 15K SCSI. :)

I'm with Chewy on this one, "Serial A T A"

200095[/snapback]

Ditto. I rarely even write "SATA" because many people think that its some kind of entirely different creature from parallel ATA (unlike PCI Express, which is some kind of entirely different creature from PCI).

No one says "sexxy" instead of "scuzzy?"

OK, some are right, some are wrong, but it really dosnt matter because we cant change the world....

It is pronounced Sah-Tah or Serial ATA. Not Say Tah Trust me.....

dont ask me who I work for or what I do because I'll never admit to it (for fear of my inbox expanding out of control from ppl on messageboards like these).....

Not too long ago, I built a custom pc for a really nice gentleman from Brazil. When he was telling me what he wanted, he asked for [heavy Portuguese accent]Suuperr Ah Tah[/heavy Portuguese accent]. I just loved the way he said it, so now that's how I pronounce it :D

Why has no one mentioned WiFi? I seriously heard someone call it Whiffeee.

On topic. I like Serial ATA. It doesn't become a word unless it's already a word. Like TWAIN.

You mean, you guys actually talk to people in real life using these words? I've never had the opportunity, I just type them ;)

Ha! I've been browsing around looking for info and this post was motivation enough for registering...

I'm in the "short a" camp. It just makes sense...in English anyway. I'm guessing that some people say "SAY-tuh" because of the "long a" in A T A, then slapping the s on...

But for me, if this was an actual word, chances are it would be pronounced just like rat, bat, cat, SATurday, etc...so I say SAT-uh.

I work at a recording studio where we deal with this kind of stuff all the time. We produce books and mags on tape for the National Library of Congress for the blind and physically handicapped. We come across many words or terms such as this where we just go with our best guess if we can't find a reference for it. I look at it this way...if you were blind, and you heard the sound "SAY-tuh" how would you guess it was spelled? (I guess this depends on what kind of speller you are)

Anyway, this seems to be one of those situations where there seems to be no correct answer. You can imagine the problems that arise reading articles about Linux...we can find all sorts of arguments online supporting different ways of pronouncing it.

You can imagine the problems that arise reading articles about Linux...we can find all sorts of arguments online supporting different ways of pronouncing it.

200505[/snapback]

Straight from the horses mouth (as they say): http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/t...-says-linux.mp3

More info: http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/

PS. I'm not syaing Linus is a horse, it's just a sayinng. ;)