bsd

Fast laptop drive?

Hello,

I am looking for a faster drive for my laptop, and I was wondering if the 7K60 is still the best drive out there. (Seems like it been out for a long time...)

Thanks,

David

It's still the only 7200 RPM drive.

Only higher-level benchmarks could determine the extent to which the 16MB cache of some of the 5400RPM laptop drivers allows them to keep up with the 7K60's higher spindle speed.

Generally speaking, laptop != fast, and to the degree that it approaches it, faster = depleted battery.

Even for desktop, if I use a several years old 7200RPM drive, vs. a new 7200RPM drive, the difference isn't going to be THAT big in the majority of cases. The move to 16MB cache is helping in certain ways much as the move from 2MB to 8MB helped back when that was a new thing. And occasionally, you get nice things like FDB that come along and improve noise & drive life. Also density goes up so you get bigger drives...but other than that, it's still a disk whirling around at 7200RPM, and so while they can tweak it quite a bit it's never going to be as fast as say a 10K RPM drive (unless the 10K drive is REALLY sucky).

The 7K60 is currently the only 7200 RPM hard drive for laptops but I have heard that there will be a few major new releases of 7200 drives soon... I'd expect them sometime this year, but I have no concrete information, and can't even remember what brands they are.

@ashmedai,

Your arguement about depleted battery is invalid, at least in the case of the 7K60, which uses battery on par with, or even less than some common 5400RPM models.

In the old vs. new arguement however, you must note the large amount of development that has gone into laptop drives recently, especially in terms of media and head sizes/technology. Granted, you're not expecting a, say, 50% faster drive in 2 years or so, but 10-20% is definately likely.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have more solid data on any new 7200 RPM laptop drives?

I don't mand waiting if there is something around the corner....

Thanks,

David

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have more solid data on any new 7200 RPM laptop drives?

I don't mand waiting if there is something around the corner....

Thanks,

David

200029[/snapback]

There is also the toshiba MK5024GAY 50gb 7200rpm, if you don't like hitachi.

So, the consensus is that the 7K60 is still the fastest? (With no other known 7200 rpm options comming up?)

I'm pretty certain there are others coming up. Sechs was referring to Toshiba's old, 50GB model. I'm about 70% certain that there will be new 7200RPM releases coming out very shortly, and I'm 90% certain that they will have bigger capacity than the current 60GB.

As for the 7K60 being the fastest, some of the latest generation 5400RPM drives actually come out a hair faster in one or two disciplines but overall, it is still the current fastest.

I'll see if I can find any further information on the future releases, ATM I believe one will be Seagate and possibly one will be WD. I'll post again once I have any concrete information.

I'm pretty certain there are others coming up. Sechs was referring to Toshiba's old, 50GB model. I'm about 70% certain that there will be new 7200RPM releases coming out very shortly, and I'm 90% certain that they will have bigger capacity than the current 60GB.

As for the 7K60 being the fastest, some of the latest generation 5400RPM drives actually come out a hair faster in one or two disciplines but overall, it is still the current fastest.

I'll see if I can find any further information on the future releases, ATM I believe one will be Seagate and possibly one will be WD. I'll post again once I have any concrete information.

200109[/snapback]

Anyone have any certainty percentages/rumors/info on the first 7200RPM 1.8" drive? Tsk, 4200RPM is the Thinkpad x40's only weakness...

Seagate News Release from July 23rd, 2004:

The forthcoming Momentus 5400.2 and Momentus 7200.1 products are designed for the notebook PC sector. Both will be available in 60GB, 80GB and 100GB capacities.

Evidently new drives will be out shortly, but still no idea on dates.

Did you happen to see when the Momentus 7200.1 was announced? June 14, 2004. Seagate actually has a full press page for it containing spec sheet, pictures of the drive and all related press releases. Among the releases is this tidibit:

"Seagate Momentus 5400.2 and Momentus 7200.1 disc drives will begin shipping in the fall."

Now granted, they don't say fall of which year, but one would probably assume fall of 2004. In the case of the 7200.1 that may be the wrong assumption. The 5400.2 series has been available for awhile, but it looks like Seagate is trying to set a record for worst time to market with the 7200.1, in a market that isn't exactly known for being punctual with releases in the first place.

Momentus 7200.1 and 5400.2 Media Kit

Since were discussing fast 2.5" drives. When is that 18k RPM 2.5" drive coming out and how can we get one of those bad boys in a laptop. :D

I havn't as of yet. Tried emailing seagate?

203472[/snapback]

Here is the latest info from the past couple of days.  Note that the June referred to in the email is June, 2005:

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t...=seagate+7200.1

203499[/snapback]

Yes, I tried to email seagate. I did not hear anything back.

Glad someone got a response, though.