moguo

western 200gb or Hitachi 200gb

a friend of mine wants to buy a hdd. He is asking me for advice on which drive he should buy.

200GB 7200RPM ATA100 8MB

WD2000JB

or

200 GB, Hitachi

ATA100, 8mb buffer, 7200rpm

what do you think ?

WD has a 3 year guarantee on the bare bones unit and 1 year on their retail kit, but you can extend the 1 year to 3 years for $14.95.

If noise is any consideration, the JB has FDB. I don't know if the Hitachi is using BB or FDB.

a friend of mine wants to buy a hdd.  He is asking me for advice on which drive he should buy.

200GB 7200RPM ATA100 8MB

WD2000JB

or

200 GB, Hitachi

what do you think ?

199844[/snapback]

Don't buy either I say. Get a Seagate with their now standard 5 year warranty. Also one of the quietest drives I have found.

a friend of mine wants to buy a hdd.  He is asking me for advice on which drive he should buy.

200GB 7200RPM ATA100 8MB

WD2000JB

or

200 GB, Hitachi

what do you think ?

199844[/snapback]

Don't buy either I say. Get a Seagate with their now standard 5 year warranty. Also one of the quietest drives I have found.

200055[/snapback]

Isn't the Seagate a dog in the speed department?

Buy whatever has the longer warranty. Performance, if those are both current-generation 80GB/platter or better drives, is pretty close.

199845[/snapback]

They both have the same warranty

WD has a 3 year guarantee on the bare bones unit and 1 year on their retail kit, but you can extend the 1 year to 3 years for $14.95.

If noise is any consideration, the JB has FDB. I don't know if the Hitachi is using BB or FDB.

199850[/snapback]

Judging from the model number it's barebones. Therefore it's 3-year warranty, just the same as the Hitachi.

It's impossible to tell if a WD2000JB has FDB motors before buying because there are some that have FDB and some that don't. You cannot say "the JB has FDB" because not all do - that's just plain incorrect.

Hitachi have been using purely FDB for all their drives for some time, and all drives of the same series use the same type motor. Therefore, you know you're buying a FDB drive if you buy a 7K80, 7K250, 7K400 or a 7K500. With WD you can't know for certain.

Isn't the Seagate a dog in the speed department?

200061[/snapback]

No. As far as I'm aware, the Seagate is the slowest of both the current and previous generation 7200 RPM drives. See SR Benchmarks

Comparing as similar drives as possible.

Sorry, I've had to double post because the system did not give me enough time to finish editing my original one.

Also apologies gundersausage, I read "a dog" as "top dog" and thought you were trying to say it was fast...

Personally I'd recommend the Hitachi because in my personal opinion it has a slight speed advantage over the WD, and runs about 5-8'C cooler. The WD is a tiny bit quieter during seeks but that is objective because their seek sounds are vastly different. I've also had some reliability issues with my WD drives.

Edited by qasdfdsaq