Sign in to follow this  
ashmedai

xSATA coming soon

For those that haven't heard yet, xSATA is coming over the next few months as an upgrade/replacement for the eSATA spec.

Increased cable lengths (8 meters).

Support for staggered spinup.

New cables that won't come unplugged so easily (interlock similar to phone/ethernet regjack plugs).

Now if they'd just increase the mechanical tolerance of the internal plugs too, we'd be all set.

Good on the lengths, good on the staggered spinup (although not as important externally as internally.) Not sure about the plugs. If they are similar in style to RJ-11/RJ-45, I won't like them. Even with stress relieving ends, and fancy 'anti-break' tabs, they're still horrible. I dunno about you, but I'd rather have the cable come out, than drag my computer off the desk... (I've seen a laptop fall off a desk more than once because a phone or Ethernet cable gets tripped over.)

The mechanical tolerance of internal plugs? Fixed in SATA-2. (Take a look at pictures of an nForce4 board with SATA-2 connectors in PC Perspective's review. Second to last picture. Or, for that matter, the small picture at the top of the review.)

The mechanical tolerance of internal plugs?  Fixed in SATA-2.

199811[/snapback]

Sweet, I end up having to reconnect half of mine nearly every time I crack the case (well not really that bad, but the one between my Raptor & motherboard comes off more often than not).

They could make the cables like the Xbox controller wires with a connector in the middle that may let go so you don't topple the machine.

But may be always loose after doing that a few times?