Ron_Jeremy

XP locks when scrolling large folders

Nforce2 mobo (Biostar M7NCD)

Athlon XP 3000+ no ocing w/stock cooler

512MB ram

120GB ATA Maxtor

FX5200 video

This pc works fine until I browse large folders, where it's guaranteed to lock up. If I go to the My Pictures folder (~900 loose files) for example, & just hold down the down arrow key, XP will just lock up. Sometimes, I can go up n down through the files a few times, but normally it will just lock up the first time.

I have run Maxtor diag tools via floppy, & the drive comes back fine (short & long tests). I've tried both the standard XP IDE drivers, & the set from Nvidia. The drive reports as being UDMA5, if I remember correctly.

The mainboard was replaced (with identical model), & new memory was tried, but the problem persists. I'm about to rip open a new Maxtor box, but really if the orig disk says it's fine....

Any ideas?

Thumbnails view I take it? There is a "known" issue with folders in thumbnail view with more than 700 items.

I've experienced this myself, but just explorer.exe crashes and restarts. After that the system is fine.

A good way to see this happen, is search for all media files on your PC, and put the search window into thumbnail view.

PS. Information is provided AS IS. If your box breaks doing this, don't blame me, you have been warned.

Edited by Chewy509

Chewy509, thumbnails or regular icon view causes the problem. I can even set it to List or Details, go into the System32 folder for example, & lock it up at will by scrolling with the keyboard arrow keys.

Event viewer shows nada, so I don't think it's software related. I tried a different IDE cable, but same problem. I don't think I have much choice but to install XP onto a new disk & see if that solves anything.

I can do well over 1200 thumbnailed items in a view with no problems...  ?????????

199603[/snapback]

I dunno, must of been fixed in SP2? (I just did 17,000 images and it worked fine).

RJ: Have you run sfc.exe to ensure that all the system files are okay? Other than that, no idea... maybe a corrupt registery...

Have you recently removed any spyware from your system? Maybe a component is still on the system (abeilt broken). ? (This is just a guess).

NTFS partition?

Try to Disable Last Access Stamp :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]

"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

Weird, I've never used thumbnail or tiled view much though...

I do know Windows and FAT32 tends to get wonky with more than 20,000 or so files in a directory (I think it's right around 24,000), but that doesn't sound like your issue.

Hey just check everything, reinstall XP run windows update checks put the files into a non MS folder just get a new folder called PICZ to turn off XP pic folder handling. and maybe slpit the files into sub folder's (it must be a pain going though 700 photo's to find the one you want.

Check spyware/sandra/updates/reinstall windows if older than 3 months.