Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
subman

Hard Disk Cooler has water drops forming on it !

17 posts in this topic

A couple of days back I installed a HDD cooler and I found that after it has been running for a while that there are water drops formed on its sides. I feel that this may be caused by the moisture in the air being churned into drops by the HDD cooler fan (3600rpm). It is not yet the monsoon time here - it will be in June - and I am worried that it will probably rain inside my computer too :P

Has any one seen this happen and should I remove the HDD cooler ? There are no other HDD coolers available locally.

Titan%20TTC-HD12.jpg

http://www.price.ro/d_Titan_TTCHD12__3600_...oolere-181.html

I have now connected the cable from the HDD fan to the Antec PSU's Fan Only outlet and this gives only 5v output which makes the Fan slow down a lot and this has stopped the water drops from forming. B)

are you sure it is water? it might be some sort of lubricating oil that the fan is spitting out, which isnt good either.

are you sure it is water? it might be some sort of lubricating oil that the fan is spitting out, which isnt good either.

199425[/snapback]

I checked it carefully - it did not feel or look like oil.

Water condenses when the air is cooled and can no longer hold the current moisture content. That said, a fan (aka hard drive cooler) is not introducing anything cold, it is simply taking the ambient air and passing it over the warm hard drive.

I fail to see how water could be condensing under normal conditions because of the fan.

All I can think of is that for condensation to happen like this, that Cooler must be good.

Water condenses when the air is cooled and can no longer hold the current moisture content. That said, a fan (aka hard drive cooler) is not introducing anything cold, it is simply taking the ambient air and passing it over the warm hard drive.

199502[/snapback]

If the air is incredibly humid, it is sometimes possible for there to be >100% humidity (ie it's "supercooled"). In these circumstances, a simple shock can cause that excess to condense out.

Seems unlikely, though!

cheers, Martin

Never had water dripping in my PC either despite all those powerful fans installed. I used to use a dual fan HDD cooler but never had water condensation even during rainy season.

Must be the humidity in your place, possibly? :huh:

Cooling is better than none.. :ph34r:

Posting from San Diego, I can assure you that under the right conditions (high humidity, basically) water will condense on a fan. I have one of those Patton "industrial" fans with the metal grill around it, and in the summer time, there are drops of water hanging on the grill on the output side of the fan.

Hard to believe, but true.

I am in Bombay India and the humidity in this coastal town is about 70% these days but during the Monsoons (June-Sept) it can go to 85-90%. I have a Hygrometer right next to my Computer so I can keep an eye on the Humidity levels. Every Year when the moisture level is at its highest my computer does not start - possibly a short ciruit caused by water vapour. For this I keep a Thermal pad againsed a side panel of the case before starting the computer which brings the temp up and moisture down.

I have seen these water drops being formed on the blades of a high speed 120mm fan. I always thought that high speed fans pick up the moisture on the fan blades and molecules of moisture form drops

But since I have powered the fans from the Antec's 5v Fan only connector and now at 7v the water drops have stopped.

This HDD cooler dropped my drive temps by 5C when I power it at 5V and the drop is 8C now with the fan being powered at 7v. I find it amazing how such a CHEAP plastic cooler has made such a big difference to the HDD's. I have the Antec P160 case and I have 2 120mm Fans one on each side of the 3.5" drive cage.

It is totally possible that a fan can cause moisture on your PC. But the PC has to have a lower temperature than the air to begin with. When humid air cool by touching metal surface it will condense. Fan will enhance this by increased airflow.

Back in the days when I live in a slum with poor insulation and humid air, we had a water pipe going under our bed and when the spring comes it will condense like a can of coke right out of the fridge. We have replace towels on it every 3 hours to keep it from dripping water to the floor (concrete with plastic cover).

Maybe you should put some dessicant in the case and occaionally take them out and bake them in the oven, then reuse it.

It is totally possible that a fan can cause moisture on your PC. But the PC has to have a lower temperature than the air to begin with. When humid air cool by touching metal surface it will condense. Fan will enhance this by increased airflow.

Maybe you should put some dessicant in the case and occaionally take them out and bake them in the oven, then reuse it.

199651[/snapback]

Thanks for the info - living in the tropics I have lots of humidity problems - I have been into photography since 1970 and I have always kept my Cameras and Lenses in hughe jars with silica gel - I now have my digital camera in a large Tupperware container. I dont bake the silica gel in ovens ..... I just dry them out in the container itself with a Hair Drier - this works great and fast !!!

I was thinking the same thing, either using the silica gel dessicants or some sort of matting (like the anti-sound matting) then changing it out every so often. I wonder if there is some sort of cheap way to de-humdify a PC. Perhaps a PCI card dehumidifier? Any inventors here want to try and make one. It sounds like U guys in the tropics got problems. Many of us its dust which seems easier to clean and filter but can also overheat things if not taken care of.

I am in Bombay India and the humidity in this coastal town is about 70% these days but during the Monsoons (June-Sept) it can go to 85-90%. I have a Hygrometer right next to my Computer so I can keep an eye on the Humidity levels. ...

199614[/snapback]

Personally, I would look into getting a dehumidifier for your computer room. It'll take a lot of that water out of the air. As you're well aware, electronics+water=electrical shorts and fried hardware.

Ok, caused by the fan or not, water is bad for hard drives. (period). Not just for the electrical PCB board....

Most ppl dont know this but almost every 3.5" drive on the market today is not sealed therefore there is a very big chance of water or condensation entering into the drive casing and causing an error. On WD drives, there is a small "breather" hole unfortunately located near the center right section of the top drive casing (where the label is). This is just filtered by a small synthetic material holding carbon. when wet, this may seal the drive or may enter into the internals definately causing a failure. I would say remove the fan or install a fan regulator to turn down the rpm's....

I have dropped the RPM by powering the fan with 7v. This has stoppped the water drops formation. I also managed to find another HDD colling fan which sucks air away from the HDD as against the earlier one pictured above which was throwing air onto the HDD. The new cooler - Just cooler hd600320 is much better made and it keeps my Maxtor DM9 160GB SATA drive in the 31 - 35C range with the fan powered at 7v.

Justcoolerhd600320b.gif