Sign in to follow this  
IrY100fan

Alternative rock gone from Philly.

On Thursday, Feb. 24 the alternative-rock station Y100 (100.3FM) was taken off the airwaves. It has been replaced by a rap/hip hop station. I support all tye of music and fell that all music should be represented on the radio, but this now makes no alternative-rock stations and 5 rap/hip hop stations in Philly. This unfortunately leaves me with little reason to turn on the radio. The sounds of Beck, Weezer, G.Love, Ben Folds, Modest Mouse will never be heard again in Philly, alsong with the awsome DJ's that were hust fired on the spot.

If anybody was a fan of Y100 or just want's to lean about our situation or support alternative-rock in Philly and abroad, please visit www.Y100rocks.com

Thanks!

Rage On!

Brian

jmail524@hotmail.com

Not to sound insensitive to your situation, but you could always turn to Internet radio for your listening pleasure :) I can't remember the last time I listened to "ragular" radio.

Yes, thank g-d for internet radio. Actually, the former employees of Y100 have set up a stream throught their website. But it's hard to take internet radio in my car on the way to work. I've looked at satellite, but I have gotten used to free music, oh, and I'm cheap. (Plus, satellite just raised their price from $10/mo to $15/mo, bummer.)

But I'm still pissed that it was there one day and gone the next without any warning, not even the staff knew till the came into work the next day.

Sorry, I guess I just need to vent somewhere.

I well remember Y100 from my years in Philly, and I am sorry to hear that it is gone...a cool station.

May I suggest using StationRipper to stream record MP3 from your favorite Internet station and then burning them to CDs for your car? Please be sure to support your artists by purchasing music that you like and listen to when using StationRipper... :-)

Future Shock

Radio is a joke in Philly anymore!! I went to satellite and love it. the satellite company I went with is $12.95 a month but I figure what the heck, I'll just eat out less. : )

Radio is a joke in Philly anymore!!  I went to satellite and love it.  the satellite company I went with is $12.95 a month but I figure what the heck, I'll just eat out less.  : )

199497[/snapback]

For $12.95? thats probably a MacDonald's meal your missing. Its probably better for you anyway.

Yeah, I listened to Y100 on occasion, and I'm disappointed it's gone. I understand some of the staff went over to 93.3 MMR?

I've always found the "alternative" moniker rather funny. I mean, alternative to what, exactly? Alternative to popular music? Alternative to good music? Alternative to ....

I've always found the "alternative" moniker rather funny. I mean, alternative to what, exactly? Alternative to popular music? Alternative to good music? Alternative to ....

199716[/snapback]

In general, alternative to "pop" music - kind of like cereal with less sugar content...

Be happy - the original moniker for Alternative Music (back in the early 80s college radio scene from whence it came) was "Modern Music". I actually liked that name, mostly for the alliteration. Notable bands of that genre and age where Caberete Voltaire, The Cure, Joy Division/New Order, Heaven 17/Human League, U2, REM, Gang of Four, etc., etc.

Future Shock

199716[/snapback]

The Cure, Joy Division/New Order, Heaven 17/Human League, U2, REM, Gang of Four, etc., etc.

Strange, I considered them mainstream (and some of them "brit-pop"). My alternative bands of the (late) 80s would be the Tomcats, Big Drill Car, Camper Van Behtoven, "The The", the Mofessionals, SpinOut, the Cramps, etc... To some extent (where they weren't doing the punk thing) the Dead Milkmen, 7 seconds, Buck Pets.

The newer alternative stuff comming out (Form of Rocket, Beatuy Pill, the Thermals) may be a bit of a rehash in that they use conventional instruments, but they are still innovating in a way that mainstream bands don't. The only mainstream stuff that I have been listening to lately is the Mars Volta. Good musicians, but the more I listen, the less I like them (re-hashed Captain Beefheart, Santana, and psudo intelectual avant-crap that sounds cool the 1st time you hear it). The Mercury Program is infinately more interesting.

I guess the point is that "college radio" != "alternative". Alternative is a bunch of people who try something new, either through thier writing, or their choice in instruments. College radio is just the test market for corporate radio.

Sorry if I come accross as a music snob. I'm not. I'm a retired music snob. Listen to what YOU enjoy. My advice to everybody... actually GO OUT AND SEE A BAND occasionally. I just saw the Muffs a while ago, the Futureheads a week ago, and am catching Sloan on May 4th.

Thanx muchly,

Frank

After reading the last 2 posts regarding the meaning of "alternative", I've concluded it's just a marketing moniker & nothing else. IMHO, there's nothing "alternative" about any of the bands listed by either FS or BBH. But hey, to each his own :)

After reading the last 2 posts regarding the meaning of "alternative", I've concluded it's just a marketing moniker & nothing else. IMHO, there's nothing "alternative" about any of the bands listed by either FS or BBH. But hey, to each his own :)

200185[/snapback]

Correct... The marketing strategy is that they are against the market. Sort of like how you couldn't buy a "real" Fugazi T-shirt for a number of years (because the band wouldn't allow it). Finally Ian gave in and went mainstream. Their 1st sanctioned t-shirt said, "This is not a Fugazi T-Shirt".

Pure marketing Genius!

Frank

200185[/snapback]

Ron J,

Wow - I want to know where you live where you hear/heard Cabarete Voltaire, Gang of Four, or Joy Division on the radio on even a semi-regular basis...cause I know I can't find them on New York commercial radio, and even during the early 80s only WLIR played them there commercially (as opposed to college stations).

The only exception to that would seem to be here in jolly olde England (where I am currently visiting as I write this). I was in the City Centre of Leeds today and saw two huge concert promo banners, one for an upcoming Buzzcocks show and the other for Stiff Little Fingers. Great bands both - and I was totally unaware that either was still playing live shows. So, in THIS context, Ron is probably right, but at least back in the States I would say my list of bands would have been considered "Modern Music" in 1981-83. I would like to claim to know something about that - I was doing a huge amount of college radio at that time...

Future Shock

Maybe it's the actual word "alternative" that gets under my skin. Let's take a fictional "alternative" band called Band X. Band X is never heard on the radio. Hell, 99% of the population have never heard of them at all. This obscure Band X has a cult following & is labled "alternative". Labled by whom? Well, maybe by its fans, the media, etc. What's important is that it doesn't matter how they came to wear the "alternative" moniker, it's purely incidental.

Continuing onwards, Band X's 2nd album contains a "hit". This "hit" is an accident of course, & is dismissed by the band itself since the band members don't want to come across as corporate sell-outs. They don't want to diminish their "alternativeness", per se, but surely welcome the "rewards" ($$$) of writing a hit.

Now Band X is heard on radio stations everywhere, all day long. You become irritated because you've heard their "hit" 3 times today & it's only 11:30 am. You no longer consider them "alternative", because they're happy fellowing everywhere. Now you've got to share this secret little gem with the whole bloody world. Paris Hilton is on the cover of People Magazine sporting a Band X T-Shirt, & that's hot is written below the band logo).

You put in their first album & discover the music is pretty much the same as the new album. Yet somehow Band X is no longer "alternative". WTF? The music's the same! The only thing that changed is the number of albums sold. Maybe "alternative" has nothing to do with the music itself?

Reading back my post I guess I ranted on too long eh? Friggin vodka....

RJ, of course the labels we apply to each band/genre are inherently just that: labels. Furthermore, they are even further separated from the music itself by the fact that many labels have as much to do with the audience/market as the actual music.

To me, at least, the label "alternative" is irritating because it has less to do with an actual description of the music, and more to do with who is listening, and the "attitude" of the band towards the mainstream. To me, "alternative" is just ROCK that is not widely followed and which thumbs its nose at the mainstream. When we're talking about music, that seems a pretty shallow distinction to me.

Of course, that is using the definition that BBH seems to be advocating. In the current context, "alternative" has a huge amount of baggage, because the actual *sound* of the original "alternative" bands has gone mainstream long ago, and "alternative" the music is now really just mainstream modern rock, while "alternative" the attitude continues on (under a new label? or just "artists who formerly would have been known as alternative"?), while many original followers of "alternative" use the label ironically.

I was a Y100 listener on the drive to work and home from work.

The day before preston and steve announced it was their last day for a while (they move to WMMR in 6 months. I was pissed. Then I turn on the radio the next day and Y100 is gone. I was upset. I've been trying WMMR but if I have to listen to one more overplayed song....

I was a Y100 listener on the drive to work and home from work.

The day before preston and steve announced it was their last day for a while (they move to WMMR in 6 months.  I was pissed.  Then I turn on the radio the next day and Y100 is gone.  I was upset.  I've been trying WMMR but if I have to listen to one more overplayed song....

200399[/snapback]

Yeah, I used to listen to Y100 more than YSP or MMR. Now I listen to those two stations on occasion, but honestly, they are very frustrating. I wonder if they are owned by the same company...about 5 times in the past two weeks when a crappy song comes on (which happens a lot), I changed from one to the other, and the same goddamned song was playing! Not enough variety.

So I've started changing in two stations out of Allentown: a rock and classic rock station. They aren't much better than the two Philly rock stations, but more stations to switch between = more chances of not listening to crap. That and I'm starting to use my crappy tape deck-CD converter. Bah, maybe I have to spring for a CD player to install in my 15-year-old truck.