Sign in to follow this  
uart

Firefox Failure.

Ok this is an interesting one, I've been using firefox as my main browser since the early beta's and have been very happy with it. In this time I've come to accept that the occasional site will be "MShtml" only and wont display properly, but last week I had one that completely took me by surprise.

I bought a Netcomm ADSL modem (NB03) to set up a friend with broadband. The "quick guide" setup procedure seemed totally straight forward, but when I tried to get into the modem setup page it was a total no go! (page just timed out every time). I spent over an hour double checking everything, LAN addresses, cables, passwords etc but there was just no way I could get into the modem setup. I tried a device hardware reset and even wasted another hour re-reading the pdf manual in full, still totally snookered.

Eventually I figured I'd wasted enough time and started to pack the modem to return to the shop as faulty. But then I thought I give it one last shot using IE instead of firefox and b#gger me I got straight in to the configuration page and had him on line in about 30 seconds (it only needed his username and password entered).

Doh, I never would have thought that just accessing a hardware devices internal configuration page (local address http://192168.1.1, no internet required) would use any MS only html. I've set up other ADSL modems and routers before and never come across one that was inaccessible from firefox.

BTW, it was firefox 1.0, don't know if 1.01 would have made any difference but it wasn't available at the time anyway.

Failure my ass, you should be pointing at Netcomm about this one over their inability to use W3C compliant code. Install IEView extension for dealing with idiots like these.

Yes dont worry it was Netcomm that was the butt of my cursing and swearing that day. I dont really mean that it was a fault within firefox, just that it was not compatible with this modem and I would never have expected that a company like Netcomm would have been so lame to have provided this non-compliant (IE only) firmware.

Pop-ups have been mentioned various places in the last couple days, leading me to go something like "Huh, there aren't any popups here...let me check the page in IE...GAH where the hell did all these banners come from?!?" Been using Firefox for a while now, at first I used it interchangably with IE but as I started getting more extensions installed there were more things IE couldn't do, and now I'm so used to browsing the internet virtually ad-free that it freaks me out when I see its normal ad-encrusted state.