hotlips69

SATA II Drives?

Has anyone heard any whispers or got any hard facts about ANY upcoming SATA II drives?

As is common knowledge, the nforce4 supports this newer standard, so my logic is why has nvidia incorporated this unless they have prior knowledge of about-to market SATA II drives?

The raptor has been out for ages now in its current form and is surely due for a revamp in specification? :huh:

well if it is like most technology of late - there is lots of rumours and pictures and advertizing and promotion but very little of 'available' and 'In Stock'

Sata II is the next inevitable version of Sata. They are working on sata III now. One thing you might want to observe is that waiting for new technology to come out does not mean it comes out faster

There are sata II drives out i believe, IIRC seagates 7200.8's are sata II

This is the sort of info that I'm looking for.

I wish WD & Maxtor would make a press release or a paper launch...just so that we know the specifications/cache/size/approx price!

I don't know whether to buy now or wait another month before buying?

Hitachi lists one on their site (T7K250). Maxtor's MaxLine III has "SATA II features", which is everything but the 3 Gbps speed. And as already mentioned, Seagate's 7200.8 also has the features without the speed bump. At this point, NCQ is more important than 3 Gbps, because individual drives come no where near saturating a SATA I link yet. So you actually do have a selection.

Hitachi lists one on their site (T7K250).  Maxtor's MaxLine III has "SATA II features", which is everything but the 3 Gbps speed.  And as already mentioned, Seagate's 7200.8 also has the features without the speed bump.  At this point, NCQ is more important than 3 Gbps, because individual drives come no where near saturating a SATA I link yet.  So you actually do have a selection.

198294[/snapback]

So regardless of these new Sata II features, the Raptor would technically still be faster than the new upcoming 7200rpm SATA II drives?

I'm trying to decide if I should go back to a Raptor or wait around for the new SATA II drives but that would also mean I would need a new motherboard or some sort of controller card.. <_<

Edited by slimeballzz

The fact is that the limitation on today's current hard drives are not the interfaces themselves, rather actually the physical limitations, such as spindle speed. You could even go as far as adding a fiber optic interface on a 7200RPM drive, but it doesn't change the fact that the REAL limitation is from the rotation speed. Until we find a better medium than platters and a couple head/actuators, the fastest interface in the world wouldn't help you. I would only go as far as to classify Soild State Disk (SSD) technology as successfully achieving this currently. This technology is mainly the only expensive way to saturate its interface (a fiber optic line.) So until current standard hard drives catch up to the SATA I technology and actually saturate it fully, SATA II may not be truly needed.

Currently with the most recent mechanical hard drive technology, I would not want to spend my money on expensive new things. Remember, new doesn't necessarily mean faster or better, especially in this case. Just something to think about.

I don't know, but that's my 2 cents and my opinion.

A guyr points out, Hitachi, Maxtor and Seagate all have SATA-2, some for several months.

I want to know "where are the benchmarks!". I want to see NCQ 7200 drives compared to the Raptor. Server benches, but also burning DVDs while defragging, something SCSI is good at.