byosys

Yet another recomend a harddrive

Hi all. I was pointed to this site from another Fourm and like what I have seen so far.

I'm looking for a new 250-300GB SATA HDD. I've narrowed my choice down to this Seagate and this WD.. They look almost identical. Noise is not an issue for me and neither is the extra 2 year Warranty on the Segate. I don't plan to keep the drive for more than 3 years anyway. Is there any reason to get the more expensive seagate? This is drive is going to be mostly a home video + audio file storage drive (no editing, just storage), so speed is not of paramont concern.

Next up is the NEC ND-3520A DVD burner. This has gotten great reviews at many sites and is one of the cheaper 16x DVD burners at only ~60$.

Are these solid choices? It's getting to a point were I'm just going to pick a drive and not worry about getting the absolute best HDD.

Thanks.

Edited by byosys

Both hard drives are good, it's largely a matter of preference in the majority of cases. Spend the extra $20 on pizza or something.

On the DVD burner, it can be helpful to have a larger buffer if you can find one at a price you're okay with, I think most DVD burners are 2MB but some by Plextor or some such have 8MB. Fortunately DVD compatibility isn't quite as bad a problem as it used to be.

I have an NEC ND3500 and for some inconceivable reason it tries to write to 8x Ritek media at 12x.

This wouldn't be so bad if the writes didn't fail part-way through (or if there was some way to force Ghost to use the media at 8x only).

I can understand NEC's frustration that fast media aren't available yet, but screwing up your backups because of it is a barmy.

An earlier batch of Riteks only wrote at their rated speed, and the drive worked like a charm with those.

cheers, Martin