Stoddo2k2

Seagate 7200.8 Uh Oh

About 3 months ago I went about replacing all the hard drives in my main system. My first drive was a Seagate 300 GB 7200.8 PATA. About 2 weeks after that I got another Seagate 300 GB 7200.8 PATA drive. About that time one of the Seagates starting "plunking". I returned it and got a replacement drive. Two weeks after that the same replacement drive starting "plunking" and failed to work at all a few days later, so I got a second replacement. About 1 month after that I got another Seagate to replace my boot drive (so 3-300GB drives total). Sadly, I have another Plunking drive (always the same replacement).

I haven't returned the currently "plunking" drive but have been backing data up almost every 2 days or so. I'm wondering WTH is going on. I suspect that when Best Buy had a huge sale on these 300 GB drives (when the rebates were large some time ago) they had some returns and the replacement drives I've gotten twice have been "restocks". Of course I have no evidence of this either way but here is what I have noticed:

1. Some time after I purchased the first 300GB drive the Seagate 300 GB drive is no longer on Best Buy's website.

2. Each time (twice) that I went to return the drive for a replacement only 1 drive was on the stock shelf at Best Buy.

3. Currently no drives are on the stock shelves of Best Buy (300 GB version) and still not visible online.

So, its either Best Buy restocking used stuff or it was a bad batch coming out of Seagate.

What do you guys think? This should shake my confidence in Seagate but it hasn't because I suspect Best Buy is doing some shady stuff here.

In situation like this I'd also check out the hardware configuration. Your PSU, power cables, ide cables, cable connectors.... all could easily reproduce this sort of anomalies.

In situation like this I'd also check out the hardware configuration. Your PSU, power cables, ide cables, cable connectors.... all could easily reproduce this sort of anomalies.

197243[/snapback]

Although possible, one of the drives was in an external rack and starting "plunking" before I put it in the machine.

Each time (twice) that I went to return the drive for a replacement only 1 drive was on the stock shelf at Best Buy.

So, its either Best Buy restocking used stuff or it was a bad batch coming out of Seagate.

197241[/snapback]

Anyone know if Best Buy just puts returned stuff back on the shelf like Fry's is infamous for?

Each time (twice) that I went to return the drive for a replacement only 1 drive was on the stock shelf at Best Buy.

197241[/snapback]

Anyone know if Best Buy just puts returned stuff back on the shelf like Fry's is infamous for?

197306[/snapback]

Well the only reason I say that is because I've seen it happen before. Stuff that had the box tops on upsidedown then shrinkwrapped over. I bought a TDK burner some years ago and 1 media piece was missing and the other was ripped open. Was obviously put back on the shelf.

I've never heard of BB restoking returned/used stuff. In truth, the only retailer I know that restocks returns is FRYs.

At least Frys (sometimes) puts stickers on returned goods intended for resale, which is fair enough. What you suspect Best Buy of could show a poorer practice on their part.

In case you are curious, some behind the scenes stuff:

BestBuy has an open box policy that is clearly marked with a yellow open box sticker that lists missing items and a lower price. They are tracking these open boxes with a special serialized UPC sticker that goes over the original UPC and tracks that spcific item. There IS a shrink wrap machine behind the scenes for this purpose.

If a return is said to be defective it doesn't get back out to the floor, instead it gets returned to the vendor (devo) or repaired depending on what it is. Returned repaired items follow the open box policy. Many repair items get the store reimbursed through an insurance claim because it is two expensive to repair and the item gets junked.

I used to work at store 531 in the Tech Bench and part of that job was to inspect the open returns. This information is about eight months old and of course represents what a store is suposed to be doing, store 531 did follow this policy as closely as possible.

EDIT: all hard drives are DEVO, it is cheaper for the store to return it for credit at the same price to the vendor than to mark it down and sell it.

Edited by MaxBurn

I bought a 300gb seagate USB2/1394 from bestbuy a couple of months ago and have had nothing but problems my self.

What do you mean exactly by "plunking"?

My drive will work continously for no more than about 10 minutes, then it will make a loud "plunk" and stop responding and a few minutes later bring up a "delayed write failed".

Haven't had any of the new 7200.8s but currently using 7200.7s which I had 8 of them running 24/7 for the past 2 years (3 on standby for backup). No plunking sounds from these 7200.7s. May I'll try to get one of those 7200.8s and see when its available here. So far all drives I've got are fine (good batch?) despite no "seashell" packaging, and rarely I had drives failed on me (luck?). Highest capacity available here is only 200GB. Still waiting for the 250GB, 300GB and 400GB ones.

I bought a 300gb seagate USB2/1394 from bestbuy a couple of months ago and have had nothing but problems my self.

What do you mean exactly by "plunking"?

My drive will work continously for no more than about 10 minutes, then it will make a loud "plunk" and stop responding and a few minutes later bring up a "delayed write failed".

Did you check the power management settings? Mine is set to "Always On" (for all drives). The "delayed write failure" is probably because of unpatched Windows. So far I haven't encountered any of it, however I used custom USB 2.0 external HDD enclosures like Metal Gear Box. As for the delayed write failure, checkout this article: http://www.bustrace.com/products/delayedwrite.htm I thought it only affected Maxtor drives (from what I read)... Could be a bad drive too, suggest backup everything first and then re-attached all cables (especially the power supply one). If the same problem exists then its possible the drive or power adapter is problematic.. and maybe RMA for a new one. :ph34r:

I had the exact same experience as above.

Already owned a working 400GB, I had no second thoughts of picking up two 7200.8 PATA 300 GBs with decent prices. One was from Buy the other from Provantage. Both of these drives were placed in firewire enclosures used by all my other 30+ drives. These things both were failing instantly. I couldn't run Diskwarrior under OS X without it spitting drive failure messages at the same point I heard the plunking. It didn't matter if I had these drives out in cold room and attached to a 400W separate PSU. They would power off with any normal use. I would stay away from the 300GBs at this point. One has been returned outright as defective the other is going to be RMA'd with replacement sold. I don't trust these one bit. Both drives purchased in 2/2005.

Thankfully, 2/2005 had the nice Maxtor 250GB $99 sale to make up for this disasterous purchase and to offload the mostly corrupted data.

EDIT: all hard drives are DEVO, it is cheaper for the store to return it for credit at the same price to the vendor than to mark it down and sell it.

197359[/snapback]

But, Best Buy gets charged for DEVO returns of non-defective goods. I worked at the tech bench at BB for almost 2 years, ending in '03. At the time I left, we were getting tons of DEVO stuff returned to the store for testing. They wanted us to restock what worked and then re-DEVO what was not.

So, if you get a lazy tech who didn't fully test a hard drive, it is possible for defective merchandise to go back to the floor. In any case, they are marked open item, so you know to do your own tests before putting important data on the drive.

So, if you get a lazy tech who didn't fully test a hard drive, it is possible for defective merchandise to go back to the floor. In any case, they are marked open item, so you know to do your own tests before putting important data on the drive.

200387[/snapback]

True enough.

By the way I had a 7200.8 300gig PATA die on, they replaced it with a 400gig model so I guess I am happy, hope it keeps working.

Hello, I recently purchased the seagate 300gb external and recieved the delay write failures right out of the box. Everything on the web basically pted to hardware conflict, ati, old chipsets etc. I spent roughly 2 months researching the topic, the seagate site says nothing about such errors either, eventually i called seagate and once i said delay they said they needed to replace it. They sent me a 400GB so i was overly thrilled; however, it reported 372.2gigs free, but after 4.74 gigs it said it was full and i needed to run disk-cleanup. Needless to say i was a little pissed off...... I ran a full NTFS format from comp manager and its been working flawless for the last 2 hours...... with transfers of 150 gigs....... beats my old 20 gig and 1 hour max with the 300....... So does anyone know if they jus give everyone the knew and improved 400???

I have 2x seagate 400 sata's and 1x 300 and so far haven't had any problem with them. They do seem alittle hot but I have 2x120mm fans over my drives.

p10100395hk.th.jpg

My 74 gig raptor is actually my coolest drive. I think cooling and psu is a major problem with hard drives dying, bad shipping is a possiblity but ususaly those would be doa.

I have the external 300G version. It has made constant plonking, and pinging sounds since new in December

When it is on and not in standby spindown, it make a steady plonk-ping sound every 4 seconds.

I have had a few delayed write failures, and an unreadable root directory. Most problems were on firewire, but i had some delayed write errors in USB.

I have 3 other external drives (7k250 DM10 250, WD200JB in Macally FW800/USB -- nice case BTW) and they all work perfectly and are nearly silent.

Also, the Seagate is the slowest by of my external drives according to Sandra.

There is definately something wrong with this drive, however It has behaved for 2 months now.

I contacted Seagate and they sent a 400G replacement.

It was strange that Seagate did not even ask what my problem was with the 300G unit. Aparently, it must suffer from some design defects.

I have only had the 400G for a few hours, but I can alrady tell that it does not constantly plonk-ping-clunk like the 300G version.

Performance according to Hdtach is identical.