Sign in to follow this  
piperprinx

SATA PCI-E controller and SLI Mobos

If I buy an SLI mobo (DFI Lanparty Sli-DR), setting it to SLI, can I use just one PCI Express video card and use the other slot with a PCI E 8x controller like the Areca ARC 1220?

Did anyone tried one graphics/one not card sli setup (8x+8x) in a SLI mobo?

I think it even works in non-SLI mode.

196921[/snapback]

The problem is that all the PCI-E controllers with 8 channels I can find are PCI-E x8, so they require X8 or more slot for form factor, even if they support 4x lines.

Some MB, like MSI and DFI, implement a x4 slot in single mode, but a x8 card would not fit, even if the controller will support 4x.

196921[/snapback]

I think you have to have the onboard connector flipped for SLI (or dual video cards) to get the 2 8x slots. Otherwise i think most manufacturers have that as a 16x - 1x or 16-2x configuration when the card is flipped the other way. The drivers and the bridge connector really are what defines it as SLI.

196921[/snapback]

I think you have to have the onboard connector flipped for SLI (or dual video cards) to get the 2 8x slots. Otherwise i think most manufacturers have that as a 16x - 1x or 16-2x configuration when the card is flipped the other way. The drivers and the bridge connector really are what defines it as SLI.

196929[/snapback]

Thanks Topweasel.

This was what I meant.

Let me know if I understand well.

What I wnt to know is:

If *setting to SLI* in hardware or bios hte MB, and using for example one ATI video board in what become a x8 slot will work or the MB will "search" for the second video card...

and if putting a x8 controller in the second x16 (now x8 bandwidth) will work as well or the mb doesn't recognize it, looking for a video card...

from your answer I should argue that in SLI mode (on the MB) the two 16x --> 8x slots will work as two plain and indipendent PCI-E slots - like in some server MB - at least until I do not "join" them via the video card bridge connector...right?

196921[/snapback]

196929[/snapback]

Thanks Topweasel.

This was what I meant.

What I wnt to know is:

If *setting to SLI* in hardware or bios hte MB, and using for example one ATI video board in what become a x8 slot will work or the MB will "search" for the second video card...

and if putting a x8 controller in the second x16 (now x8 bandwidth) will work as well or the mb doesn't recognize it, looking for a video card...

from your answer I should argue that in SLI mode (on the MB) the two 16x --> 8x slots will work as two plain and indipendent PCI-E slots - like in some server MB - at least until I do not "join" them via the video card bridge connector...right?

196937[/snapback]

Yes, That switch card just Chooses the PCIe configuration you want. Other than that it is jsut another PCIe Socket. Your system will go through the PCIe ports till it finds a video card and use the first that it locates. After that it doesn't matter what you have plugged into that second port. They doe it this way so you can use 2 cards in a multi monitor workstation and still get good performance out of both.

196921[/snapback]

196929[/snapback]

Thanks Topweasel.

This was what I meant.

What I wnt to know is:

196937[/snapback]

Yes, That switch card just Chooses the PCIe configuration you want. Other than that it is jsut another PCIe Socket. Your system will go through the PCIe ports till it finds a video card and use the first that it locates. After that it doesn't matter what you have plugged into that second port. They doe it this way so you can use 2 cards in a multi monitor workstation and still get good performance out of both.

197156[/snapback]

Ok, I tested with:

Radeon X850XT PE Pci-e

and mobo

DFI Lanparty Sli-DR

My doubt is: in SLI mode the system is booting only with my video card in the "central" 16x slot. No way to get it work in the "external" slot.

Is it normal?

Does the board starts "searching" from the central slot and then swithes to the second only if the first is full?

I would like to be sure before ordering a 700€ controller like the Areca arc 1220.

I have this board. If I only install one video card with the jumpers selected to SLI, the board will not even post. I don't think it will work for you. I even tried to have both video cards installed, but removed the SLI bridge between the cards, it would not post.

Maybe contact DFI and ask them directly, but from I'm seeing, it probably won't work.

Shawn

I have this board.  If I only install one video card with the jumpers selected to SLI, the board will not even post.  I don't think it will work for you.  I even tried to have both video cards installed, but removed the SLI bridge between the cards, it would not post.

Maybe contact DFI and ask them directly, but from I'm seeing, it probably won't work.

Shawn

198194[/snapback]

I can boot mine, but only with the video card in the internal 16x slot.

I previously contacted them, and they say "yes, u can". But I'm not sure I explained well what I meant....I'll retry with a more detailed mail....

thanks

I previously contacted them, and they say "yes, u can". But I'm not sure I explained well  what I meant....I'll retry with a more detailed mail....

Hey Piper .. any news yet from your enquiry? I am interested in a similar setup with an Areca ARC-1210 card and a SLI board. Which SATA-II drives are you planning to use?

I previously contacted them, and they say "yes, u can". But I'm not sure I explained well  what I meant....I'll retry with a more detailed mail....

Hey Piper .. any news yet from your enquiry? I am interested in a similar setup with an Areca ARC-1210 card and a SLI board. Which SATA-II drives are you planning to use?

198745[/snapback]

I'm in the process of rebuilding my rigs, so I haven't contacted DFI yet.

I have still some doubt in buying such an expensive controller only for "geeking" purpose :) .

Expecially having no clue in IF and HOW it will work.

Speaking of disks at the moment I'm going to stay with my 8 200gb Maxtor.

Edited by piperprinx

SLI mode is only for SLI. It doesn't turn the slot into a generic x8 slot.

x8 PCI-E cards are not designed for use in x16 slots. The only guaranteed compatibility matrix is:

x1 in x1

x4 in x4

x8 in x8

x16 in x16

x1 in x16

Any other combination is unsupported.

KC

SLI mode is only for SLI.  It doesn't turn the slot into a generic x8 slot.

x8 PCI-E cards are not designed for use in x16 slots.  The only guaranteed compatibility matrix is:

x1 in x1

x4 in x4

x8 in x8

x16 in x16

x1 in x16

KC

198832[/snapback]

I think this is not right.

I received a pdf from Areca regarding PCI-E

here it is

pcie2jh.th.jpg

as you can see the compatibility matrix differs a lot from the one you suggested.

x8 PCI-E cards are not designed for use in x16 slots.  The only guaranteed compatibility matrix is:

x1 in x1

x4 in x4

x8 in x8

x16 in x16

x1 in x16

KC

198832[/snapback]

I think this his not right.

here it is

pcie2jh.th.jpg

as you can see the compatibility matrix differs a lot from the one you suggested.

In the same PDF is clarified well the compatibility concept of pci-e, in term of form-factor and in term of number of lanes.

I quote

"-Down-plugging, i.e., plugging a larger linkLink card into a smaller linkLink connector, is not allowed and is physically prevented.

- Up-plugging, i.e., plugging a smaller linkLink card into a larger linkLink connector, is

fully allowed.

- Down-shifting, which is defined as plugging a PCI Express card into a connector that is not fully routed for all of the PCI Express lanes, in general is not allowed. The

exception is the x8 connector which the system designer may choose to route only the

first four PCI Express lanes. A x8 card functions as a x4 card in this scenario."

I think the last implementation is what they mean with the "x4 PCI-e compatibility" they stated in their site for arc-1220.

This doesn't mean however that it will work in a SLI configuration, but the question is not about the possibility of a PCI-e 8x card to work in a 16x form factor with 8x lanes.

This is not a problem.

Th problem is: do the jumpers on the mb define the 8x + 8x lane distribution or it is due to the bridge connecting two SLI video card.

My video card only boots in the central slot, once the mb is been set to SLI mode.

why not in the "external". Are the 16 lanes in the central slot only even in this mode, waiting for the bridge to split?....

need to contact DFI...:)

Edited by piperprinx

x1 in x1

x4 in x4

x8 in x8

x16 in x16

x1 in x16

KC

198832[/snapback]

I think this his not right.

here it is

pcie2jh.th.jpg

In the same PDF is clarified well the compatibility concept of pci-e, in term of form-factor and in term of number of lanes.

I quote

"-Down-plugging, i.e., plugging a larger linkLink card into a smaller linkLink connector, is not allowed and is physically prevented.

- Up-plugging, i.e., plugging a smaller linkLink card into a larger linkLink connector, is

fully allowed.

- Down-shifting, which is defined as plugging a PCI Express card into a connector that is not fully routed for all of the PCI Express lanes, in general is not allowed. The

exception is the x8 connector which the system designer may choose to route only the

first four PCI Express lanes. A x8 card functions as a x4 card in this scenario."

I think the last implementation is what they mean with the "x4 PCI-e compatibility" they stated in their site for arc-1220.

This doesn't mean however that it will work in a SLI configuration, but the question is not about the possibility of a PCI-e 8x card to work in a 16x form factor with 8x lanes.

This is not a problem.

Th problem is: do the jumpers on the mb define the 8x + 8x lane distribution or it is due to the bridge connecting two SLI video card.

My video card only boots in the central slot, once the mb is been set to SLI mode.

why not in the "external". Are the 16 lanes in the central slot only even in this mode, waiting for the bridge to split?....

need to contact DFI...:)

198847[/snapback]

HiHo!

it(2x 8x lanes) works with the DFI NON SLI MoBO for sure.

take a look here

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...62280#post62280

and here

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/vi...ight=dxg+jumper

cya

Is SATA-II downward compatible to SATA-I? The Areca card you wanna use is a SATA-II controler, and I guess your Maxtors are SATA-I drives.

Is SATA-II downward compatible to SATA-I? The Areca card you wanna use is a SATA-II controler, and I guess your Maxtors are SATA-I drives.

198860[/snapback]

yes, it is (normally)...

SATA II Controller and SATA I HDD with NCQ should work fine (NCQ enabled/disabled, both)

cya

I received a response from DFI :(

these are my questions:

"I'm owner of a Lanparty SLI-DR.

I would like to use a PCI-E 8x raid controller like the Areca ARC-1220 with this motherboard.

My questions are:

1) Setting the mb in SLI mode, my video card (ATI X850XT PE PCI-E) can boot in the PCIE4 slot, but cannot in PCIE1. Is it normal? Why? Should not the two slots be identically set at 8x?

2) The problem is related with the use of a Sata controller: do the jumpers on the mb define the 8x + 8x lane distribution or it is due to the bridge connecting two SLI video cards?

Are the 16 lanes in the central slot PCIE4, even in SLI mode, waiting for the bridge to be split?

3) Do you think once set the MB in sli mode, I can run it with only one Video card, using the second 8x pci-express slot with a sata raid controller like Areca Arc-1220? And in which Slot?"

end these are replies from Travis (if u own a DFI u should have met him on DFIStreets)

"1. do not use SLI mode unless you have 2 SLI video cards (only made by

Nvidia)

2. see #1. SLI only support 8x8x with video cards. All other combinations are 16x2x

3. no. see #1. "

So, does anybody knows how to have PCI-E controllers working with 939 PCI-E boards? Or I have to wait for 2x controllers? Is there some new controller with 8 channells coming out?

Edited by piperprinx

So, does anybody knows how to have PCI-E controllers working with 939 PCI-E boards? Or I have to wait for 2x controllers? Is there some new controller with 8 channells coming out?

199168[/snapback]

If you have a x16 PCI-E slot with 2 lanes, so in this slot wil fit PCI-E cards with x2 x4 x8 x16 and will off course run at max x2.

So you can buy a Areca/Tekram x8 PCI-E RAID Controller and it will fit in your x16 slot. It is for Manufacturers not interesting to make PCI-E cards slower them x8 due the bottleneck of the bandwidth.

199168[/snapback]

If you have a x16 PCI-E slot with 2 lanes, so in this slot wil fit PCI-E cards with x2 x4 x8 x16 and will off course run at max x2.

So you can buy a Areca/Tekram x8 PCI-E RAID Controller and it will fit in your x16 slot. It is for Manufacturers not interesting to make PCI-E cards slower them x8 due the bottleneck of the bandwidth.

199224[/snapback]

The problem is the Areca only works with 4x (or 8x, of course)....

The Areca/Tekram ARC-1200 series will work on a physical x8 and x16 slot, as long as it supports a minimum of 4 lanes(x4). I have not tried using it on an SLI board, but will let you know when I get my hands on one.

The Areca/Tekram ARC-1200 series will work on a physical x8 and x16 slot, as long as it supports a minimum of 4 lanes(x4). I have not tried using it on an SLI board, but will let you know when I get my hands on one.

199254[/snapback]

thanks Rtech....I'll wait for your test...even if all the evidences provided at the moment are negative...

I want to do a similar configuration with a Asus A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard.

Did someone succesfully configured a SLI motherboard with a Areca Raid card?

thx!

I asked Areca Taiwan if the 1210 works in SLI motherboards. Their Answer:

"Yes, we have tested this kinds mainboard. NVIDA has fully to tested our ARC-1120 with its

Nvidia Desktop PC SLI nForce4 SLI (CK8040= PCI-E X8 + PCI-E X8) chip set. We also have complteted tested the Iwill M/B X2 with SLI architecture."

He said 1120, I guess he meant 1220.

So has anyone bought the card yet? ;)

All I have to say is: Dammit, the whole point of PCI-E was easier compatibility with multiple speed grades!

If you have a larger form slot, even if it's electrically fewer lanes, any card that physically fits should work, period. (That's the idea, obviously, in practice, it doesn't look like it works that way.)

SLI mode should just turn a 16/1 pair into an 8/8 pair. The chipset, BIOS, and OS shouldn't care what's what.

Bah. (Rant mode off)