lufthansen

Moved pagefiles - but can't get rid of pf on syste

I've moved my pagefiles to 5 different drives, leaving the systemdrive - c: - with none.

Nevertheless; there's a pagefile.sys on the system root. It's 3gb in size and last modified on reboot time. The timestamp stays the same until next reboot.. When I try to delete it, it insist that it's in use by another program.

Is there a way that I can force it to be deleted?

This is possible to do under Windows XP, but not under Windows 2000. :(

I wouldn't even suggest you consider doing this unless your system has at least 512 MB of RAM, since you will be forcing Windows to run everything in RAM, which is good, but also denying Windows the ability to page, which could be very bad if you inadvertently run out of available RAM. :ph34r:

Another thing to consider before deleting your pagefile is the likelihood that you might actually change your mind, since if you delete the pagefile, your pagefile may end up quite fragmented if you recreate it later. Obviously, you can remedy that by running a defragmenter that can defragment the pagefile, but why waste the time in having to go through all that if you're not completely sure you really want the pagefile gone? It would seem wiser to disable paging until you reach a point of comfort that you're not going back, and then actually delete the file. :unsure:

Now, with those caveats out of the way, you can disable paging completely by right-clicking on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Advanced -> Change -> No paging file. B)

You may reboot the system and delete the pagefile after rebooting.

Now, with those caveats out of the way, you can disable paging completely by right-clicking on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Advanced -> Change -> No paging file.  B)

You may reboot the system and delete the pagefile after rebooting.

196175[/snapback]

Thing is, I don't want to get rid of all the pagefiles. I got 5 of them min2max615 spread out on my other 5 drives. I just want to get rid of the one on C: . The C: is setup with no paging file, but I can't get rid of the one residing on the root. Tried reboot and delete, but something is hugging it. Is there a way for me to find out what process is hugging it, and force it to unhook?

With my limited knowledge I see no reason why it should be caught up in any process..

lufthansen: are you using Windows XP?

Look here:

vm.png

You should make sure you set the drive to No Paging File, and then make sure you click set.

You may have to reboot your PC.

You should make sure you set the drive to No Paging File, and then make sure you click set.

You may have to reboot your PC.

196270[/snapback]

That's excactly how I've done it. The pagefile is still there. A mystery.

Then obviously there is some kind of software problem. I'm afraid I have no idea what that might be.

Just a shot in the dark: it's pagefile.sys, e.g. not hiberfil.sys?

196277[/snapback]

It's the pagelife.

I'm beginning to think that I've been hijacked.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Enabled "ClearPagefileOnExit" in registry (all entries)

Minimized the pagefile on c: (min2max2)

Disabled pagefile alltogether.

Disabled System Restore

Del pagefile.sys on c: from dos-boot (no pagefile to be found, it launches on windowsboot)

Now I'm re-enabling the system restore on the system drive and enabling pagefiles on the other drives (not the system drive).

Is there a way to see which program is hugging/ creating this pagefile?

Del pagefile.sys on c: from dos-boot (no pagefile to be found, it launches on windowsboot)

Did the Microsoft prescription, i.e. copy c:\boot.ini pagefile.sys to make it appear, then deleted it.

Somehow it resurrects every time I boot to windows, and the size is a consistent 2.99gb

"...and the size is a consistent 2.99gb"

196305[/snapback]

That rang a bell for me. I noticed that you happen to also have 3gb of memory. I wonder if you were to open your case and remove a stick or two of memory, and then reboot, if your persistent paging memory would be reduced from 2.99gb down to whatever memory remained in your slots after your partial removal.

If the persistent page file does in fact downsize to the reduced size of the physical ram you left in the slots, then that might at least provide a comforting indication that you have not been hijacked after all.

I don't know much about pagefiles, but I did notice that the pagefile on my own system is very nearly the same size as my physical ram. Since I have an unusual amount of physical ram on my system (4gb that somehow netted to 3.66 gb), I made the mental association.

If you tried that test, it may provide one more clue to help you solve your "mystery."

do a search for the program killbox.exe

you can set it to delete stuff on reboot,  works great

196321[/snapback]

Set memory dump to none. Nothing changed - i.e. I still couldn't delete it. Tried killbox.exe, but the pagefile resurrected. As I did this, my E: drive suddenly shows up as RAW. I'm wondering if I'm fixing myself into trouble... Haven't tampered with anything physical - running Ontrack EasyRecovery diagnostics now to see what is left to save. The disk appears healthy on the quick test. Full test remains to see. It could be coincidental, but I've had a lot of problems with several drives lately (last six months) - all of them happened after I installed and ran Perfectdisk. If anyone else sees the link between PerfectDisk and drives who lose track of themselves, please speak up. Also: Six drives and a northwood 2.4 P4 is running on a FIC VC11 mobo, powered by an Antec 350W PSU. Could brownouts be a reason to my misery?

Lufthansen,

I have seen WinXP do this before - never did anything beyond the basic attempts to remove it, as something more...... interesting always seems to appear after about 15 minutes of screwing around with the pagefile.sys.

Sorry not much help, but wanted you to know that your not crazy - must be just some particular circumstances under which this issue shows up.

Lufthansen,

I have seen WinXP do this before - never did anything beyond the basic attempts to remove it, as something more......  interesting always seems to appear after about 15 minutes of screwing around with the pagefile.sys.

Sorry not much help, but wanted you to know that your not crazy - must be just some particular circumstances under which this issue shows up.

196363[/snapback]

Any progress on this problem? I am experiencing the same problem. Would appreciate any help. Thanks