ivatandb

controller?

:( I burned my Maxtor One touch USB 250GB hard disk. Inadvertedly, I connected my Laptop transformer (foolish - but it can happen when you're absentminded (age?)).

If I were to buy another HD of the same model but say an 80GB model - would the "controller" or interface be suitable to revive the burnt HD - for me to be able to run the latter?

Any ideas?

Will be greatful - I would love to recover those albums of family photos.

ivatan

The disk is just a regular IDE disk in a USB box. If you only burnt out the enclosure's electronics and not those of the disk inside, you could take out the disk (hey you've already voided the warranty anyway) and mount it internally in a desktop to try to pull off the files. If the disk is fried you can send it away for data recovery, but that starts at around four figures $$$$.

The disk is just a regular IDE disk in a USB box.  If you only burnt out the enclosure's electronics and not those of the disk inside, you could take out the disk (hey you've already voided the warranty anyway) and mount it internally in a desktop to try to pull off the files.  If the disk is fried you can send it away for data recovery, but that starts at around four figures $$$$.

195873[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip. Yes, the warranty was gone I realize. I think I will eventually do it the way you suggested - I am taking my time though and will gather more tips from experts like you.

Makes sense... I hope it will work.

If the Maxtor's brick PSU (="transformer") has a single 12V output (it should read in the label of the PSU), then it's most likely used unaltered to power the motor of the hard drive. Laptop PSUs normally give out 14-16V. Hard drive motors tolerate 12V +/- 10%, so anything more than 14V (continuously) should burn up the motor.

In this case, PCB swap won't do any good.

Cheers,

Jan

:( I burned my Maxtor One touch USB 250GB hard disk. Inadvertedly, I connected my Laptop transformer (foolish - but it can happen when you're absentminded (age?)).

If I were to buy another HD of the same model but say an 80GB model - would the "controller" or interface be suitable to revive the burnt HD - for me to be able to run the latter?

Any ideas?

Will be greatful - I would love to recover those albums of family photos.

ivatan

195868[/snapback]

If you want the disk to continue being external, there are lots of relatively cheap external closures out there. Consider one that also offers Firewire as well as USB.

A search on dealtime on enclosures