frodiggs

'a failure may be imminent.' -best way to rebuild?

Well one of my lovely Hitachi/IBM 7K250's seems like it’s on its way out. (Funny if you don't peek into event manager one would never know this). Things are fine but the SMART messages can't be ignored. Drive is still under warranty so I'm trying to figure out the least painful way to have minimal down time. I got a 200gb drive today to get my backup in order.

raid 0 /32k block and 32k cluster/ NTFS / 2 partitions C: (OS) D: (data)

Can I use let's say a Norton GHOST boot disk and do an image copy of the problem drive to the new drive and call it a day? how will the array react keeping in mind it has a 32block and 32cluster size?

Or

Do I GHOST the C (OS), backup D (data), rebuild the array with the new drive, format, partition and GHOST back to C and dump data back on D.

The tools I have are Norton ghost and a GHOST boot floppy which I want to make a bootable CD. I have never used Norton GHOST.

thanks in advance

If the two partitions will both fit onto the 200GB it would be safest to Ghost everything to the 200GB using the floppy, replace the 7k250, make a new array, then Ghost from 200GB to new array.

Note this requires that you have less than ~170GB of DATA on the RAID0 in both partitions; doesn't matter how big the partitions themselves are. You can run off the 200GB while the one 7k250 is gone for RMA. Use the other 7k250 for pagefile in the meantime and tell us what kind of performance "hit" you feel when running the two disks but not in RAID0.

array is only 160gb so ok there and Hitachi agreed to send unit before so long as I supplied a credit card to cover their arse*

It seems I need to create this array after I get the new drive but how far do I need to go? array (32k block), then format (32k cluster) then partition THEN restore or will Ghost do the format and partition from the image?

also I just came off a long thread about Ghost 9 VS True Image 9 http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....82&page=1&pp=25 which bashed Ghost on Raid and my chipset. TI8 was so-so and TeraByte Unlimited's Image For Windows and DOS was noted for working with an nforce2 chipset and working as promised.

any feedback is appreciated as now my head is spinning...

The floppy sure isn't Ghost 9, is it? Generally floppy Ghost 2002/2003 will require you to first create a partition only so it can be seen by the bios, but it doesn't need to be formatted.

The floppy sure isn't Ghost 9, is it?  Generally floppy Ghost 2002/2003 will require you to first create a partition only so it can be seen by the bios, but it doesn't need to be formatted.

195883[/snapback]

regreatably I've used neither. I do have Ghoost 2003 CD and boot floppy disk from a friend and will do some dry runs. I'm concerned about the array and the restore of course.

update: using trail versions of terabyte BootIT NG and image for DOS.

my issue now is i trying to get a stable image created as IFD gives 'unable to read from disk' at %45 and BootIT cannot validate the file -- 'image stream is corrupt'

I’m through the image process with boot IT NG and verified the image only after I went to defaults on the bios and turned off caching and look ahead on all drives.

I need to find a spare large enough to do a test dump but I’m further along.