nealh

Seagate 200gb 7200.8 vs Diamond Max10 250gb 16mg

Hi..I am looking to replace a 1.5yr old maxtor 160gb drive 8mg cache..diamond max 8(?)..that died..it was a retail drive so of course I found out it had a 1 yr warranty...

I really want to get 2 x 200gb Seagate 7200.8(i really do not need the ncq my MSI Neo2 Plat does not support NCQ but looking toward future mobos)..but I am very concerned regarding this issue of idle noises....

I am not concerned reqgarding seek and write noises all hdd have some...but the last thing I want is excess idle noise(my maxtor before it died was making constant idle noises which turned out to be a sign of impending failure in retrospect...like constant read/ writes I thought it was winxp that had screwed up and reformatted and reinstalled and then the drive died)...it would drive me nuts...

How bad are the idle noises..are they only for a boot drive...what if the drives in RAID 0, 0+1 or as 2 drives 1 boot/ 1 storage

what do you think of the DiamondMAx10 250gb 16mg cache hdd as an oem with 3 yr warranty

Edited by nealh

Hi..I am looking to replace a 1.5yr old maxtor 160gb drive 8mg cache..diamond max 8(?)..that died..it was a retail drive so of course I found out it had a 1 yr warranty...

I really want to get 2 x 200gb Seagate 7200.8(i really do not need the ncq my MSI Neo2 Plat does not support NCQ but looking toward future mobos)..but I am very concerned regarding this issue of idle noises....

I am not concerned reqgarding seek and write noises all hdd have some...but the last thing I want is excess idle noise(my maxtor before it died was making constant idle noises which turned out to be a sign of impending failure in retrospect...like constant  read/ writes I thought it was winxp that had screwed up and reformatted and reinstalled and then the drive died)...it would drive me nuts...

How bad are the idle noises..are they only for a boot drive...what if the drives in RAID 0, 0+1 or as 2 drives 1 boot/ 1 storage

what do you think of the DiamondMAx10 250gb 16mg cache hdd as an oem with 3 yr warranty

195335[/snapback]

Hmm you migh not forget the 200 GB Seagate Barracuda7200.7 Plus SATA, because it come with 5 years or warranty !

I still don't know witch one to buy me either ;)

TanGU.

Many people are claiming that maxtor diamond 10 is alot quitter then the seagete drive.

Thanks

196071[/snapback]

I am leaning toward the DM10 250 gb ncq hdd...but there are some concerns regarding compabatability with neo2 plat

the 5yr warranty is why I have not jumped on the maxtor...maybe I will go with the seagate 160gb x2 ncq drives since they are 7200.7..supposedly quieter than the newer 7200.8....

the DM10 with 16mg of cache are fast drives....I have used primarily just maxtor(simply the best deals) with occasional wd hdd over the last 5 yrs ...I sold some of my previous drives so I do not know how well they lasted ...but my maxtor DM 9 160mg 8mg cache was the first hdd of any kind that failed in the last 5yrs

my other DM9 160gb maxtor seems fine...SMART states the drive is ok

The DM10's are a vast improvement over the DM9's in terms of noise and performance, but the general consensus is that, Samsungs are the quitest, followed by Seagates, and the DM10's in 3rd (not commenting on other drive manufacturers).

NCQ gives no performance boost to the average user.!!! so future-proofing for that alone is not worth the effort.

Why are you comparing the 250GB Maxtor to the 200GB Seagate, that seems a little unfair.???

If you want to compare drive noise levels then have a look at silentpcreview.

Some people may clame that the DM10's are quiter than the 7200.8's but some people are wrong, got lucky, unlucky etc, on track records most silent enthusiasts wouldnt touch a Maxtor due to their past products.

Reliability is always a difficult question to answer, I would be pushed towards Seagate personally.

But performance wise the DM10 is only slower than Raptor's and SCSI drives.

Andy

careful DM9's were a bit flaky after a year and I loved Maxtor but be aware. I agree that reports show Samsung 1 and seagate 2 as far as drive noise. I think samsung caps out at 160gb IDE currently though.

I say Seagate and feel good about that 5 year warranty. Check online USER reviews about maxtor products at newegg, epinions.com etc.

ps- ever notice how Maxtors are always on sale. I saw a 160gb ATA133 /8mb for 75$ new. sorry Maxtor...not my data

If you can hold off for a day or two, I just picked up my SATA cables to install my two DM10s in my Antec Aria, with Zalman 7700Cu cooler on the CPU. Basically, the only noise in that SFF system is the drives (right now two WD JB-class drives), so it should be a good subjective testbed. I will post my findings in 24-48 hours, depending upon how fast I can Ghost over my old contents.

Future Shock

N.B. - would anyone believe that Antec HAS a SATA power cable in the Aria, but only ONE connector, and at that it is too short to really reach drives in any but the center (of three) mounting positions? I had to go buy ATX-SATA power converter cable just to add 6" of cable to reach my leftmost drive mount. {grumble, grumble}. And then add to that my MSI mobo only came with a single SATA data cable, and it's WAY too long for a SFF case...next thing I know I've bought $35 in cables today, or nearly 10% of the drives price. {more grumble}

If you can hold off for a day or two, I just picked up my SATA cables to install my two DM10s in my Antec Aria, with Zalman 7700Cu cooler on the CPU.  Basically, the only noise in that SFF system is the drives (right now two WD JB-class drives), so it should be a good subjective testbed.  I will post my findings in 24-48 hours, depending upon how fast I can Ghost over my old contents.

Future Shock

N.B. - would anyone believe that Antec HAS a SATA power cable in the Aria, but only ONE connector, and at that it is too short to really reach drives in any but the center (of three) mounting positions?  I had to go buy ATX-SATA power converter cable just to add 6" of cable to reach my leftmost drive mount.  {grumble, grumble}.  And then add to that my MSI mobo only came with a single SATA data cable, and it's WAY too long for a SFF case...next thing I know I've bought $35 in cables today, or nearly 10% of the drives price.  {more grumble}

196298[/snapback]

well I decided on Seagate ....

I was only comparing DM10 vs Seagate since both where native SATA and had NCQ...and realized the issues on NCQ performance but I figure in a yr all sata drives will have it

I was not expecting a 8mg cache 7200.8 + performance of DM10 with 16mg cache

The 5 yr warrant and the recent failure of my 160gb maxtor swayed me to Seagate(also alot reports with issues between DM10 and Neo2 Plat)...

I have the Seagate installed..overall it is quieter then the DM9 160gb HDD but it does make audible noise over my 2 case fans(panaflo L1A 80mmx25mm, XP90 with Vantec stealth 92mm fan and my BFG 6800 OC with fan speed all the way down)

I am happy with the noise level...I guess there are quieter HD but for the most part the noise is only heard when defrag and running my antivirus and much quiter than my maxtor...by at least 50%

BTW it seems pretty fast...burst speed of 120mg/sec and sustained speed of 68/69mg/sec....

I think it is pretty close to performance of the DM9...maybe faster??? after 1 day of use