msammut

Performance decrease with 120GB HD

Hi, i've just joined the forum and thught someone could help me out.

I've just added a secondary MAXTOR 120GB HDD to my winXP installation. Windows is installed on a seperate 30GB HD.

Soon as i did this performance decreased noticably! i havent partitioned the 120GB HD. but then again it is not running windows so i shouldnt need to?!

help anyone?

Hi, i've just joined the forum and thught someone could help me out.

I've just added a secondary MAXTOR 120GB HDD to my winXP installation. Windows is installed on a seperate 30GB HD.

Soon as i did this performance decreased noticably! i havent partitioned the 120GB HD. but then again it is not running windows so i shouldnt need to?!

help anyone?

195052[/snapback]

Did you install it on the same IDE-cable?

Check (in the device manager) that windows hasn't dropped the 30Gb disk to "PIO-mode".

nope they're on different cables!

Where is the setting for PIO-mode? is it under the disk drive properties window? if so under which tab please?

would partitioning the drive have any effect on performance at all? I'm quite desperate as its slowed down my comp to almost an unworkable rate!

Hello, this is my first post, as I have also joined the forum just yesterday!

Could you give us some more info, for example to which controller have you connected the drives and what system you are using...

As a first step, check if DMA access is enabled in the "device manager". Also partition and format the new hard drive from the windows "disk management".

I found the PIO setting by the way and no it is not set on PIO.

Ok The 2 disks are on seperate IDE cables. I'm using WinXP on a 2.6Ghz 512DDR system.

I've already partitioned (just one partition) and formatted the HDD.

DMA access IS enabled.

next?

In that case, could you describe what you mean by "performance decreased noticably"? Did you run any benchmarks? Do you see the CPU load increasing when you access your HDD? Are both drives slow or just one? Are Windows slow? Are the file tranfers between the drives slow?

What have you observed?

Everything seems to have slowed down... CPU usage is up to 99% all of the time. The "explorer.exe" process seems to be taking up all the CPU usage!

This is happening all the time, whether i am or am not accessing the drives.

When i disconnected the drive, booted up without it, everything was fine. Connected again... same problem!