imtim83

Does anyone here own a Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB?

I purchased a Dell Workstation with an OEM Seagate 15K.4 146GB, and its exceptionally fast compared to my 73GB 15.3 version; sustained transfer rate is over 92/MB sec, and responds lighting fast during read/writes.

Based on what I’ve read on the Maxtor 15K II is supposed to blow the doors from the Seagate counterpart; I can only imagine two in a Raid 0 configuration.

However, creating a 147GB Raid 0 with two 73GB Seagate 15k.3 provides sustained transfer rates north of 140/GB sec; for a fraction of the cost of the new 147GB 15K generation, and the Fujitsu 147GB 15K produced exceptional performance and are selling on the Web at 30% discount compared with Seagate/Maxtor counterparts.

I purchased a Dell Workstation with an OEM Seagate 15K.4 146GB, and its exceptionally fast compared to my 73GB 15.3 version; sustained transfer rate is over 92/MB sec, and responds lighting fast during read/writes.

Based on what I’ve read on the Maxtor 15K II is supposed to blow the doors from the Seagate counterpart; I can only imagine two in a Raid 0 configuration.

However, creating a 147GB Raid 0 with two 73GB Seagate 15k.3 provides sustained transfer rates north of 140/GB sec; for a fraction of the cost of the new 147GB 15K generation, and the Fujitsu 147GB 15K produced exceptional performance and are selling on the Web at 30% discount compared with Seagate/Maxtor counterparts.

194805[/snapback]

If you don't mind me asking how much was the OEM Seagate 15K.4 146GB?

Seems like its a amazing, super fast hard drive that for sure. It is expensive though. Your right about that compared to all the others. I am sure it will come down in price somewhat sooner or later as it gets a little older like the others are now.

Edited by imtim83

194805[/snapback]

If you don't mind me asking how much was the OEM Seagate 15K.4 146GB?

Seems like its a amazing, super fast hard drive that for sure. It is expensive though. Your right about that compared to all the others. I am sure it will come down in price somewhat sooner or later as it gets a little older like the others are now.

194808[/snapback]

Also when you say the Seagate 15K.4 146GB are you talking about the SEagate 15K II 146GB? Never heard of the Seagate 15L.4 146 GB ?

The 15k.4 is only $1590 at zipzoomfly right now. But chipstone has a great suggestion with the 73GB 15k.3s. Those are only $200 each for refurbished drives.

Edited by bfg9000

It's only $1590 at zipzoomfly right now.  But chipstone has a great suggestion with the 73GB 15k.3s.  Those are only $200 each for refurbished drives.

194810[/snapback]

Wow can't believe actually a place with a really good ratings like zipzoomfly has it now! I thought the only place that had it was a score of only 7.50 on resellerratings. They didn't show zipzoomfly in the real time pricing. Guess it didn't have time to upgate yet. Glad a good place like zipzoomfly has it now even though its pretty expensive there at that price tag. At least you know you can trust them though.

Is the 15k.4 146 GB the same as the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB?

It doesn't seem like it. Espically in benchmarks the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB is a lot faster. Like at the end of the transfer rate, etc.

With the workstation configuration, the drive cost was $ 1,099, but I would have preferred the Fujitsu 147GB version, but dell only has the Seagate OEM; still a great drive.

Also when you say the Seagate 15K.4 146GB are you talking about the SEagate 15K II 146GB? Never heard of the Seagate 15L.4 146 GB ?

194809[/snapback]

The 15K.4 146GB is the new model designation from Seagate, replacing the 15K.3:

15K.4 Speed, 4 Generation Model. 146GB

Maxtor II is the 2nd Generation 15K.

194809[/snapback]

194821[/snapback]

Thanks.

I think I confused myself more than anything. Sorry about that.

So I bet the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB feels even faster than the Seagate 15K.4 146GB maybe! I can't imagine that because you said the Seagate 15K.4 146GB was superfast as it is!

194809[/snapback]

194821[/snapback]

Thanks.

So I bet the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB feels even faster than the Seagate 15K.4 146GB maybe! I can't imagine that because you said the Seagate 15K.4 146GB was superfast as it is!

194822[/snapback]

I wonder if anyone has two Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB in raid 0 ! ? That would insane it would be so fast.

Though i am sure solid state hard drives are a lot faster than the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB even in raid 0 sense they have no moveable parts but a lot more expensive I bet for 146 gigs of a solid state hard drive.

194809[/snapback]

194821[/snapback]

Thanks.

194822[/snapback]

I wonder if anyone has two Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB in raid 0 ! ? That would insane it would be so fast.

Though i am sure solid state hard drives are a lot faster than the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB even in raid 0 sense they have no moveable parts but a lot more expensive I bet for 146 gigs of a solid state hard drive.

194826[/snapback]

I wonder if newegg or zipzoomfly will ever carry the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB hard drive? Hope so.

Wow I realized my post was a little confusing, that's why I edited it right away to be clearer. The Maxtor does indeed benchmark quite a bit faster than the Seagate but is currently much more expensive as well. If you check the reliability database you will find that Seagates are generally much more reliable than Maxtors.

As someone who has 1st through 3rd generation 15k drives, I have to suggest that it's not STR that counts but seek time for my uses, which include browsing through folders with many thousands of small files. A 36Z15 feels just as fast as a 15k.3 at this, and its maximum STR is slower than the minimum STR of the 15k.3. Do note that my 36Z15 is the 18.4GB "short stroked" model with much quicker access times than the bigger drive that SR tested years ago. Xbitlabs tested the small one here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/d.../ibm-36z15.html

So unless you are doing something that really requires such high STR (and few things do) a RAID0 array of such drives won't really feel any faster but will sure benchmark a lot higher. It's the same old latency versus bandwidth argument that appears everywhere in PCs. If your car could go 300MPH but takes 10 minutes at full throttle to get there, is it really any faster, on average?--It depends how you drive, of course.

Edited by bfg9000

imtim83: "Though i am sure solid state hard drives are a lot faster than the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 147 GB even in raid 0 sense they have no moveable parts but a lot more expensive I bet for 146 gigs of a solid state hard drive."

Current Solid state drives (non-volatile) are great for random IO but still lack the STR. RAID0 of the latest SCSI drives will be better than one of the standard SSD. You have to start RAIDing several SSD's to get the STR to compete with RAID.

One of the latest systems aimed at high-end users and servers attaches upto 16GB to ATA-100 with <10'000 IOPS but only about 40MB/s STR.

Hyperdrive

Other SSD devices have reached 50-90MB/s.

Big Texus Memory Systems RAM SAN reach 200-1500MB/s and the largest is about 12GB/s. Texus Memory Systems - SuperSSD.

Current Solid state drives (non-volatile) are great for random IO but still lack the STR.

Depends on your use. If you need STR in addition to multiple tasks the SSD is a better bet.

Ask your company if they can give you a bulk [employee discount] offer. IIRC it will cost me about $22,000+ for a twenty pack. The offer looks tempting but I'd rather rather replace my 2 main workstation drives with cheaper/faster SSDs. Plus I can have money left over to eat something afterwards with 2 smaller BitMicro drives. :)

Big Texus Memory Systems RAM SAN reach 200-1500MB/s and the largest is about 12GB/s. Texus Memory Systems - SuperSSD.

194850[/snapback]

Close to 12GB STR is possible but it would require a Brocade Switch Rack, multiple HBAs and multiple racked machines to pump it. Not to mention a dyson sphere to power everything and a 700 ton Liber unit to cool it.

If STR benchmarking is like land speed record testing at Bonneville Salt Flats,

and seek time benchmarks are like NHRA drag racing,

Which test tells you what car is better for driving to the grocery store (web surfing and game playing).? I will say that I'd much rather have a car that can accelerate quickly than one that can go very, very fast, though cars that specialize in doing well at one of the benchmarks tend to fall down in other areas, namely noise (no surprise), and gas mileage (power consumption and heat).

The Ramdisk is a quiet, quick car that must never be shut off or it will need to be rebuilt, and is so small it can only carry one passenger at a time. You can get to the grocery store quickly but you can't buy much because it can't carry it. However HyperOS has come up with a novel way to change out the passenger quickly without even stopping the car!