inktomei

WD mobile drive repeatedly "clunks"

Hi all,

I have a Western Digital Scorpio WD400VE mobile drive in a Pentium-M notebook. When in Windows, an audible “clunk†can be heard coming from the hard drive. It repeats at 1 to 2 second interval for up to 5 minutes and then stops for a few minutes before starting again; this would continue for as long as I’m in Windows (even during idle). The hd led does not indicate any hd activity when the clunking is present. Is this simply a bad HD or does it just need a firmware update?

I've asked a friend of mine but he thinks it's normal. However, it's REALLY annoying to me as it just sounds like a faucet dripping randomly (although not very loudly). Anyone here had a similar problem with this drive? Is it just bad?

Current firmware revision: 900.D790

Note: I've extended-scanned the drive with WD's utility but it didn't return with error.

Thanks guys for any advice.

Ink.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (the line itself is bad).

Your hard drive almost certainly has bad sectors, it may be possible for scandisk or checkdisk to fix these but it's only going to get worse.

I would back up all of your data (starting with the important stuff), as read errors may halt you.

I wish you luck, Andy

If the drive is clicking or clunking there is nothing that Scandisk or Checkdisk can do. The drive needs to be replaced. This probably came in an OEM system, so I would contact them for RMA. Otherwise, you can replace the drive yourself and upgrade right away to the WD800VE; they can be purchased for less than $190.00.

hi

before everybody scares stinker out of you, google yourself for your problem. I have two 2.5" harddrives (one hitachi, one toshiba) that make the same noise like yours does. after 3 seconds of inactivity, the heads are parked, which makes that awful noise. the toshiba is worse than the hitachi, but both do it. this behavior is to protect the drive in case of vibration. however, it drives us owners crazy...

check out this whitepaper from IBM:

"Explanation of hard disk drive clicking sound"

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1MIGR-42320

so, to make it short and use IBM's own words: 'this is not a problem.'

well, at least not technically, as the drive is _designed_ to work that way. if people go crazy because of the clicking noises, at least it's their fault... :)

regards

nicola

Edited by nikee

Hi all,

I have a Western Digital Scorpio WD400VE mobile drive in a Pentium-M notebook.  When in Windows, an audible “clunk†can be heard coming from the hard drive.  It repeats at 1 to 2 second interval for up to 5 minutes and then stops for a few minutes before starting again; this would continue for as long as I’m in Windows (even during idle).  The hd led does not indicate any hd activity when the clunking is present.  Is this simply a bad HD or does it just need a firmware update? 

I've asked a friend of mine but he thinks it's normal.  However, it's REALLY annoying to me as it just sounds like a faucet dripping randomly (although not very loudly).  Anyone here had a similar problem with this drive?  Is it just bad? 

Current firmware revision:  900.D790

Note:  I've extended-scanned the drive with WD's utility but it didn't return with error.

Thanks guys for any advice.

Ink.

194551[/snapback]

Who did you purchase your notebook from? I'm curious because I didn't think any notebook manufacturers were shipping notebooks with the Western Digital Scorpio hard drive yet.

This is the first user account I've seen of a Western Digital mobile drive as well. :)

The first step with mobile drives when it comes to annoying clunking and clicking noises when your system appears to be idle is to disable Advanced Power Management (on the drive itself, through a utility such as the Hitachi Feature Tool). That has cured the problem for many complaining toshiba/hitachi owners, and at least allows you to determine whether the noise is due to the power management features of the drive kicking in.

Edited by kreativ

I have a question.

If you follow logic then, the hard drive should only make one "clunk" if it is parking the heads.

Why would a drive park it's head every few seconds for 5 minutes, then stop.??? This makes no sense whatsoever.

If the drive is supposed to move the accuator arm whilst idle, to keep the drive healthy, (as in the noises from Hitachi, and Seagate drives), then why does it make a "clunk", clunks are NOT good noises for any drives to make.

Andy

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll send this drive back to WD just to make sure.

Note: I work a company that distributes computer hardwares to the major tiers. I purchased what's called a whitebox notebook and I picked whatever components I wanted (down to which hd model I wanted).

I picked up the WD800VE about three weeks ago and first noticed a faint 'tink' sound about a week or so into using the drive. What it sounds like to me is that the drive performs a R/W operation and pops back to a landing zone or something similar, because I can hear a change in how the windage inside sounds. It's not a head park, as that's a louder 'pop---ting'. I also noticed that the acoustic management is set to off by default (hooray!) for this particular drive, even though it generates virtually no seek noise.

A definite improvement nonetheless from the Hitachi and IBM units I had in this laptop before, which park with a sharp, metallic 'clink!' every two seconds.

There is still probaby a program or service somewhere that won't leave the drive alone, and that's probably the cause of the noise you hear. I ran NTFileMon from Sysinternals and it showed ZoneAlarm's TrueVector service constantly accessing the disk, timed at the same time I heard noise from the drive.

I've been watching the SMART attributes and so far nothing has been remapped or reallocated and there have been no seek errors, re-cals, or anything of that nature, although it says I've managed to have a power off retract 183,683 times, even though the drive has only been power cycled 63 times.... :blink:

I have a Toshiba MK4019GAX 40 GB 5400 rpm 2.5" drive that clicks and clunks all the time. And it has since the day I got it, some 3 years ago. No bad sectors, not a single bit has gone missing. It just annoys the hell out of me.

I have an HGST 7k60 sitting in an ESD bag in my drawer for the past 6 months ready to replace it, but I haven't yet for one reason or another. :)

I have the same 40GB WD Scorpio in my Passport. Mine does the same clunk but u can hardly hear it. I ran the extened test to verify the media and came away with no problems. Maybe its a maintenance task similar to the "meouw" in the Hitachi 7K250 series.

I have the WD800VE and can safely say it also makes the ticking noise, its as regular as clockwork and I also was thinking of returning it under warranty until I read your posts!

I am now going to try to mess around with the power saving functions to try to put this problem to bed.

Cheers

Checksum

Edited by checksum

Had forgotten this thread, but since you bring it up :)

This has been discussed at SPCR and can be fixed with a firmware update!

Download:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...=9033&devlib=26

Thread:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=21930

Western Digital Scorpio 40GB 5400rpm Mobile HDD, Scorpio 60GB 5400rpm Mobile HDD, Scorpio 80GB 5400rpm Mobile HDD, v.09.07D09, A00

Release Date: 05/11/2005

Description: Western Digital Utility patch corrects an intermittent clicking noise issue on the following models

You Sir, are a star! :)

Cheers

Checksum

Had forgotten this thread, but since you bring it up :)

This has been discussed at SPCR and can be fixed with a firmware update!

Download:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...=9033&devlib=26

Thread:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=21930

Western Digital Scorpio 40GB 5400rpm Mobile HDD, Scorpio 60GB 5400rpm Mobile HDD, Scorpio 80GB 5400rpm Mobile HDD, v.09.07D09, A00

Release Date: 05/11/2005

Description: Western Digital Utility patch corrects an intermittent clicking noise issue on the following models

208879[/snapback]