Sign in to follow this  
HeroinBob

Hitachi vs Seagate?

I'm currently in the market for a new drive for use in my desktop. While I don't play many games or do anything too rough to my drives, my machine is almost never off and the drive would be accessed frequently. This drive would be used purely for storage therefore it would need a good amount of space and to be reliable. I've been looking into the Hitachi 7K250 and Seagate 7200.8.

I'm not too worried about noise and performance, reliability & price are most important. The 7200.8 seems better but much more expensive, so I'm leaning towards the Hitachi, but I'm not sure what to expect from this drive. I still have my 20G 60GXP from years ago, but my 75GXP died in less than a year... not sure if I can trust IBM/Hitachi.

The reliability db is inconclusive b/c this drive has only been available for about a year, so I wanted to know what people's experiences have been since Hitachi took over IBM's HD dept. Just wanna make sure I get a reliable drive that'll be able to handle running 24/7.

I'm currently in the market for a new drive for use in my desktop. While I don't play many games or do anything too rough to my drives, my machine is almost never off and the drive would be accessed frequently. This drive would be used purely for storage therefore it would need a good amount of space and to be reliable. I've been looking into the Hitachi 7K250 and Seagate 7200.8.

I'm not too worried about noise and performance, reliability & price are most important. The 7200.8 seems better but much more expensive, so I'm leaning towards the Hitachi, but I'm not sure what to expect from this drive. I still have my 20G 60GXP from years ago, but my 75GXP died in less than a year... not sure if I can trust IBM/Hitachi.

The reliability db is inconclusive b/c this drive has only been available for about a year, so I wanted to know what people's experiences have been since Hitachi took over IBM's HD dept. Just wanna make sure I get a reliable drive that'll be able to handle running 24/7.

193861[/snapback]

If I were you, I would choose neither and buy a Samsung Spinpoint instead, it beat out the Seagate in price, performance and noise !

Edited by EdT

Personally they are my 2 favourite (at the moment) HDD manufacturers.

I would go with Seagate just because of the warranty 5 years vs 3.

Of what I have used, they have been mostly (in the past) been Excelstor's (IBM/Hitachi design), I started using them a couple of years ago, as most manufacturers had dropped their warranty period from 3-1 years, Excelstor had 3 years, were quite cheap, reasonable performance, and we have had 1 faliure accross more than 40 drives.

If that (40GB drive) was under a 1 year warranty, I would have taken it apart for fun, I can send it back.

More recently (about 6 months), we have almost exclusivly been using Seagate, the other drives have been Maxtors, I would say 20% Maxtors accross the last 3 years, we have had more Maxtor drive faliures, and problems than Excelstor, or Seagate.

I fix peoples PC, and get to see a lot of drives, a lot of ages, a lot of models, IBM/Hitachis seem to do quite well, as do Seagate, Fujitsu are Dire, WD are not good, Samsung, we see too few to comment, Maxtor, we have seen a lot more faliures lately.

If you buy a high end drive, you run a bigger risk, the longer you have it the less its worth, but over 3 years you still have the option to send it back.

I hope this help.

Please tell me what country your is, and what drives you are comparing.

Andy

SEAGATE, SEAGATE, SEAGATE, or Western Digital.

Personally they are my 2 favourite (at the moment) HDD manufacturers.

I would go with Seagate just because of the warranty 5 years vs 3.

Of what I have used, they have been mostly (in the past) been Excelstor's (IBM/Hitachi design), I started using them a couple of years ago, as most manufacturers had dropped their warranty period from 3-1 years, Excelstor had 3 years, were quite cheap, reasonable performance, and we have had 1 faliure accross more than 40 drives.

If that (40GB drive) was under a 1 year warranty, I would have taken it apart for fun, I can send it back.

More recently (about 6 months), we have almost exclusivly been using Seagate, the other drives have been Maxtors, I would say 20% Maxtors accross the last 3 years, we have had more Maxtor drive faliures, and problems than Excelstor, or Seagate.

I fix peoples PC, and get to see a lot of drives, a lot of ages, a lot of models, IBM/Hitachis seem to do quite well, as do Seagate, Fujitsu are Dire, WD are not good, Samsung, we see too few to comment, Maxtor, we have seen a lot more faliures lately.

If you buy a high end drive, you run a bigger risk, the longer you have it the less its worth, but over 3 years you still have the option to send it back.

I hope this help.

Please tell me what country your is, and what drives you are comparing.

Andy

193868[/snapback]

Hitachi's new drives (the 7K250) are a completely different beasts to the old 60/75GXP's that people have had problems with.

My old 60GXP used to click like crazy and just sound wrong. My 7K250 drive has none of that, and is a lot faster.