Sign in to follow this  
Guest iliketopee

hot maxtor drive

Guest iliketopee

I bought a Maxtor 7200 RPM 160 GB hard disk a month ago. I had to pull off the front beezle of my case and I noticed when I touched the front of the maxtor drive it is hot!

Hot enough that if I leave my finger on it for more than 5 seconds it will burn.

I installed a program to view the temperatgure and it is about 42-45 C.

This probably is a bad thing for the drive and I worry about it failing with all of that data on there and only having a 1 year warranty.

any thoughts?

I bought a Maxtor 7200 RPM 160 GB hard disk a month ago.  I had to pull off the front beezle of my case and I noticed when I touched the front of the maxtor drive it is hot!

Hot enough that if I leave my finger on it for more than 5 seconds it will burn.

I installed a program to view the temperatgure and it is about 42-45 C.

This probably is a bad thing for the drive and I worry about it failing with all of that data on there and only having a 1 year warranty.

any thoughts?

193123[/snapback]

Several past threads have shown that average drive lifetime is inversely proportional to temperature. It's usually best to have modern hard drives in cases that provide some measure of airflow past the drive, or at least keep the drive in a fairly open area so they can dissipate their heat somewhere.

It's usually overkill, but you can get hard drive cooling devices from places like 1CoolPC. I have a few of the large ones for hot drives.

The small ones (which are sold elsewhere as well) are a unit I just recently got a chance to look at, and I concluded that whoever designed them was obviously not an engineer. They provide no path for airflow at all, so if you get any, get a larger unit, though it is usually sufficient to just add a case fan or two.

It is very important to have airflow over a drive! Unfortunately, most manufacturer's state that the operating temp of their drives can run normally at even 55 degrees Celcius. This is ridiculous! Drives should never exceed 45 degrees C. I have two maxtor d740x's that are in aluminium (note the spelling) 5 1/4 cases. They run a 40 degrees with cooling. I should have more cooling, yes, but it would increase noise. I would put a 120 mm slow moving fan over it. I have heard that they are more quiet than 80 mm, and move lots of air.

SCSA

Those low-profile Maxtors (if a regular 3.5" drive is half-height, what's this?) - I mean DM8s and FB3s - run really hot without active cooling. I've seen (and touched) drives that report near or even over 50°C. Interestingly, they seem to last more than 2 years, even though the temp is so high.

Cheers,

Jan

Without cooling my DM9 200GB runs at 27 deg C and my MaxLine Plus II 250GB runs at 31 deg C (idle). System temperature is 34 deg C. It's about 20 deg C here in the room.

I have a Western Digital Caviar 160 SE running in my system and the temperature was running about 37-38 Cent however I then added a Speeze hard drive cooler which brought the temperature down to 27 c which is very acceptable. Two negatives however: 1) the cooler is a little noisy and 2) it takes up a bit of the next drive bay. Given the temperature I am hoping for a long life for this drive but considering what I've read here about WD reliability we shall see. If you have the space try a hard drive cooler it might reassure you. Good Luck.

Weird. I have a 160GB Seagate ontop of an 80GB Maxtor and they both at around 32 degrees celcius. I do have an intake fan blowing cool air over them though which may explain why they run cool.

I have 2xmaxtor 200gig ata drives, 1x WD 200gig ata drive, 2x maxtor 250gig ata drives, 3x maxtor 300gig sata drives, and a 36gig sata raptor.

the 3x 300gig are cooled with two 120mm fans, which are very quiet, the other six are mounted in 2 groups of 3, each cooled by a 80mm fan.

all run in the low to mid 20's.

the noise isn't too unbearable.

phil.

Edited by philw