Sign in to follow this  
JoeSchmoe008

Installing 3-rd hard drive under the floppy drive

Anyone tried it and had any problems in the long term ? I just installed it successfully in the bay under the floppy drive in Dell Dimension 8400, but am a little bit concerned with heat dissipation. It seems that officially this system doesn't support 3 hard drives.

Maybe I should remove floppy drive to let this hard drive "breathe" easier ? I realize that floppy drive doesn't generate any heat by itself considering it's always off, this is just to increase an airflow. If I do remove it - should I leave the plastic cover with a slot for floppy or replace it with the cover without the opening ?

I know I can get USB floppy in case if I ever need one. Anyone knows if USB floppy is equivalent to the "regular" floppy for boot/OS setup purposes in this particular computer ?

Anyone tried it and had any problems in the long term ? I just installed it successfully in the bay under the floppy drive in Dell Dimension 8400, but am a little bit concerned with heat dissipation. It seems that officially this system doesn't support 3 hard drives.

Maybe I should remove floppy drive to let this hard drive "breathe" easier ? I realize that floppy drive doesn't generate any heat by itself considering it's always off, this is just to increase an airflow. If I do remove it - should I leave the plastic cover with a slot for floppy or replace it with the cover without the opening ?

I know I can get USB floppy in case if I ever need one. Anyone knows if USB floppy is equivalent to the "regular" floppy for boot/OS setup purposes in this particular computer ?

192654[/snapback]

I've never had a prob squeezing a hdd into a floppy bay. Just keep a close eye on temps at first. If you decide to go the USB route, your success will depend on your mainboard BIOS more than anything else if things like booting from floppy or "..press F6 to load driver" are important.

192654[/snapback]

I've never had a prob squeezing a hdd into a floppy bay. Just keep a close eye on temps at first. If you decide to go the USB route, your success will depend on your mainboard BIOS more than anything else if things like booting from floppy or "..press F6 to load driver" are important.

192664[/snapback]

I tried squeezing a drive in there, along with a floppy, in the pair of front-facing 3.5" bays on my Antec case. Those 2 3.5" bays are shorter than the others because the floppies are apparently standardized shorter than hard drives. I couldn't actually fit both drives with the normal orientation, so I ended up mounting the floppy upside-down, with the top of the floppy pushing against the bottom of the drive bay (the floppy mounting holes are not centered vertically on the drives). The pressure of it pushing against the drive bay causes lots of errors using the floppy. I ended up moving it to a 5.25" bay to get it to work more usably.

Edited by glug