Sign in to follow this  
gaviota

7200 rpm disk is slower than 5400rpm disk?

I have an old PC, motherboard is an MSI MS-6154VA, cpu a 933 Mhz Pentium III, and I just upgraded it to 512 MB of RAM and bought a 40 GB Samsung SP0411N 7200 rpm disk to substitute an older Samsung SV0411N 5400 rpm disk which died about a week ago.

The problem is that after the "upgrade", my HD benchmarks are now lower. With the 5400 rpm disk I used to get the following benchmarks using HD Tach 2.70:

Random Access Time: 15.7 ms

Read Burst Speed: 21.4 MB/sec

Read Speed Maximum: 20.6 MB/sec

Read Speed Minimum: 14.5 MB/sec

Read Speed Average: 17.4 MB/sec

CPU Utilization: 8.2 %

With the 7200 rpm disk I now get:

Random Access Time: 15.6 ms

Read Burst Speed: 16.0 MB/sec

Read Speed Maximum: 15.6 MB/sec

Read Speed Minimum: 13.3 MB/sec

Read Speed Average: 14.9 MB/sec

CPU Utilization: 3.7 %

Even though the motherboard only supports ATA 66, with a single disk this shouldn't be the problem. There should be an improvement with the 7200 rpm disk over the older 5400 rpm one.

During the upgrade, I made the mistake of loading BIOS defaults, which may have caused the problem. BIOS detects the HD as UDMA mode 4, but in the Windows XP Control Panel, the IDE channel properties show it as UDMA mode 3. Can this be the problem?

Another difference is that I now have SP2, which I don't know if this can be causing the problem.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Have you checked to see if you are using an 80 pin IDE cable?  That sounds like it might be your problem.

192260[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the cable is an 80 pin IDE cable. It's the same one I used with the previous disk, and just to be sure I tried with another brand new 80 pin cable and the speeds remain the same.

This may seem silly, but try making the motherboard BIOS fully re-detect the drive in BIOS setup. Some Dell systems make me do this whenever the ATA drives are reconfigured before UDMA functions correctly; otherwise I get 16.6MB/sec multi-word DMA at best.

This may seem silly, but try making the motherboard BIOS fully re-detect the drive in BIOS setup. Some Dell  systems make me do this whenever the ATA drives are reconfigured before UDMA functions correctly; otherwise I get 16.6MB/sec multi-word DMA at best.

192269[/snapback]

I tried redetecting the disk but the problem persists. I also tried removing the disk and the IDE channels from the Windows XP Device Manager so that the drivers would get reinstalled after a restart, but the problem persists, I can't get past 16 MB/sec read burst speed.

I think the bottleneck is in Windows XP because the BIOS detects the disk in UDMA mode 4, which is as fas as I know the 66 MB/sec maximum supported by the motherboard. But in the Windows Device Manager, the primary IDE disk is detected as a UDMA mode 3.

Edited by gaviota

Sound a bit funny to me.

Her is the spec of your new drive.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pr...=Specifications

Which isnt much slower on paper that the top of the range P80 series.

But I couldnt find your drive listed on the website, can you confirm the model number.

Anyway back to the point, the speed.

Did you have XP before.???

Also go to the "Control Panel", "System, "hardware", Device Manager" and look under "IDE/ ATAPI Controllers", is all well and good.???

Have you tried re-installing your Motherboard (chipset) drivers, downloaded and installed the latest version.???

Do you have any other drives/devices on the same ribbon cable.???

Did you take the cable out of the motherboard, is it the right way around.???

Andy

do you have the write caching on on both drives ???

btw why suths a small drive for a cople bucks more you got a bigger one

€1.05 per GB > Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8, 40GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 2MB, FDB) € 42,-

€0,61 per GB > Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 80GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 2MB) € 49,-

€0.54 per GB > Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 120GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 8MB) € 65,-

€0.47 per GB > Western Digital WD1600JB, 160GB (7200rpm, ATA100, 8MB) € 76,-

€0.46 per GB > DiamondMax 10, 200GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 8MB) € 93,49

I'd try installing the latest VIA 4in1 drivers, maybe that fixes it. The benchmark results obtained are far too low, even for the SV0411N. If nothing helps, stuff in an Ultra100TX2, that 686A ain't a speed demon anyway. (35 MB/s burst vs. >50 on other UDMA66 controllers.)

I'd try installing the latest VIA 4in1 drivers, maybe that fixes it. The benchmark results obtained are far too low, even for the SV0411N. If nothing helps, stuff in an Ultra100TX2, that 686A ain't a speed demon anyway. (35 MB/s burst vs. >50 on other UDMA66 controllers.)

192526[/snapback]

I tried with the latest VIA 4 in 1 (version 455 vp1) and the speeds were lower than with the default Microsoft drivers. VIA even posts a warning message in their webpage (www.viaarena.com) saying that the new drivers are optimized for the newest chipsets, and for older chipsets its better to use the Windows default driver.

Anyway, I was also considering buying a cheap PCI ATA100 or ATA133 controller, otherwise I wont be getting the full performance out of this 7200 rpm disk. However, I wonder if one of these cards will it work normally in this old motherboard (MSI MS-6154VA with VIA VT82C693A and VT82C596B chipsets), or does this chipset have a slower PCI interface than those of newer motherboards?

Well, it's no more than the Usual Sucky VIA PCI Performance Of Yore. Expect something like 70 MB/s burst untweaked (more with a few chipset register tweaks - those for the 694X should work), which is fine for this purpose. With that chipset I'd be more concerned about its Really Sucky memory performance (which does get noticeably better with interleaving enabled, but still is nothing to write home about).

BTW, the U100TX2 with current drivers has proven to be a solid choice (under Windows, at least) and can be had inexpensively (used if necessary, but then make sure it has a sufficiently recent BIOS like 2.00 build 14 or 15). The Sil0680 supposedly isn't much fun. One thing's for sure, you don't need more than UDMA100 for your disk (only the first UDMA133 disks from Maxtor actually benefit from faster transfers, and I guess the new models with 7200 rpm would also do).

Well, it's no more than the Usual Sucky VIA PCI Performance Of Yore. Expect something like 70 MB/s burst untweaked (more with a few chipset register tweaks - those for the 694X should work), which is fine for this purpose. With that chipset I'd be more concerned about its Really Sucky memory performance (which does get noticeably better with interleaving enabled, but still is nothing to write home about).

BTW, the U100TX2 with current drivers has proven to be a solid choice (under Windows, at least) and can be had inexpensively (used if necessary, but then make sure it has a sufficiently recent BIOS like 2.00 build 14 or 15). The Sil0680 supposedly isn't much fun. One thing's for sure, you don't need more than UDMA100 for your disk (only the first UDMA133 disks from Maxtor actually benefit from faster transfers, and I guess the new models with 7200 rpm would also do).

192576[/snapback]

Thanks for the interleaving tip, I tried it and it almost doubled the memory benchmarks.

I ordered a Promise U100TX2, I should get it delivered today or tomorrow. I hope this will solve the problem.

do you have the write caching on on both drives ???

btw why suths a small drive for a cople bucks more you got a bigger one

€1.05 per GB > Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8, 40GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 2MB, FDB)  € 42,-

€0,61 per GB > Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 80GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 2MB)  € 49,-

€0.54 per GB > Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 120GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 8MB)  € 65,-

€0.47 per GB > Western Digital WD1600JB, 160GB (7200rpm, ATA100, 8MB)  € 76,-

€0.46 per GB > DiamondMax 10, 200GB (7200rpm, ATA133, 8MB)  € 93,49

192442[/snapback]

Write cache is enabled.

As for the size, I didn't buy this disk, I got it as a replacement for the older 40 GB 5400rpm disk, which was still under warranty.

I just installed the disk in a Promies Ultra100TX2 controller I bought for $15.00 and the problem was solved. I now get 61 MB/sec burst speed and a 47 MB/sec average transfer.

The Sil0680 supposedly isn't much fun.

The 680 has excellent read speed but very lously write speed. Default Windows XP driver is best for this one as it makes the chip work at USMA100 instead of just UDMA66, and also has the best overall speed.

edit: oh, and the 680 was made back when they were known as CMD.

Edited by mockingbird