hubris

The 7200.8 thread

Guest Eugene

Hi guys,

I've decided to reconstruct Testbed3 to pump out reviews of the 7200.8, WD3200JD, and a few other drives since I'm still wrestling with a few issues with TB4.

The curious may find advance figures for the 'cuda in the SR database... expect the review this weekend.

Regards,

Eugene

Hi guys,

I've decided to reconstruct Testbed3 to pump out reviews of the 7200.8, WD3200JD, and a few other drives since I'm still wrestling with a few issues with TB4.

The curious may find advance figures for the 'cuda in the SR database... expect the review this weekend.

Regards,

Eugene

202428[/snapback]

Can u also let us know in advance whether this drive is suitable for video-editing? :D In advance ;)

finally took 7+ hrs to build raid 5 array from 3x 250GB 7200.8 NCQ SATA + 1x 250GB 7200.8 NCQ SATA dedicated spare on Raidcore BC4852 controller hehe

1GB file transfer from 250GB maxtor maxline plus 2 PATA single drive to Raid5 array = 60MB/s still :cool:

But benchies show slower speeds but still >60MB/s.

drivebench_128MB_tn.jpg

hdtach3_32MB_tn.jpg

atto_32MB.jpg

filesystem_64MB.jpg

Edited by eva2000

These Seagate drives are very quiet because of an advanced "Air Bearing" design. I would hope Seagate has perfected it by now because we used to see a lot see a lot of these Barracuda ATA and SCSI drives with "seized spindle motors". In fact we've even done a recovery for Seagate a while back and guess what the failure was? In fact it was for Seagate's spindle motor division! When we told the head engineer responsible for the spindle motor design he didn't believe us when we told him we saw the problem all the time. Sure enough he called Tulsa, Oklahoma and their repair technicians said they saw it all the time however for some reason no one took the time to notify their spindle motor engineers. We use a lot of Barracuda ATA 80GB and 160GB drives to archive data for customers to for one of our clients in Asia. They're often usually shipped back and fourth and seem to have held up pretty well thus far. I'd say they are pretty good drives and would definately take one over a Maxtor, IBM or Fujitsu any day.

Edited by hellyh72

We use a lot of Barracuda ATA 80GB and 160GB drives to archive data for customers to for one of our clients in Asia. They're often usually shipped back and fourth and seem to have held up pretty well thus far. I'd say they are pretty good drives and would definately take one over a Maxtor, IBM or Fujitsu any day.

I'm using about 5 of those Seagate 7200.7 160GBs and 3 80GBs. Been running reliably on 24/7 operations. Haven't moved to using 7200.8s.. maybe will wait till they solve the "seized motor" problem.. Can you inform us when they solve it? ;)

I've had my 250 GB 7200.8 (SATA) drive for a couple of days now. So far I'm pretty happy with it: I need the space to clear all the data off two WD1200JB drives that are exhibiting poor performance and with a warranty expiration date closing in fast!

Model: ST3250823AS

Firmware: 3.02

Date code: 05365

Buffer cache RAM chip is Samsung brand.

Performance: sequential read and write performance are excellent, as one would expect from a high platter density drive, and burst rates are plenty fast (SATA). According to HDTach:

Seq. read min: 36 MB/s

Seq. read avg: 57 MB/s

Seq. read max: 72 MB/s

Burst read: 130 MB/s

However, access times on my drive are benchmarking consistently lower than the advertised specification: HDTach, h2benchw, HD Tune, and HDSpeed32 all agree that the average access time is ~15.5 ms, some 3 ms off the advertised spec. To me, 15 ms seems respectable for such a big drive, but I can't help wondering if AAM is enabled. I don't really have any way to check or turn it off: the Hitachi Feature Tool reports AAM as unsupported (==unimplemented?) on the drive.

Environmental stuff: the drive seems pretty quiet: no appreciable noise above the noise of the cooling fans in my system, unless you put your head right next to the drive. Net drive temperature is about 8 degC (above 16 degC ambient) with a low-speed 120 mm Cooler Master fan in front of the drive. Not supercool - I'd probably be reluctant to run the drive without some form of active cooling. The ICs run just slightly warm to the touch (including the "SMOOTH" drive motor controller that is apparently implicated in some of the drive failures in the larger capacity drives due to overheating).

Ow, and I just sliced my thumb by accidentally sticking it into the cooling fan!

OK, that's all for now!

--

screwtop

I'm using about 5 of those Seagate 7200.7 160GBs and 3 80GBs. Been running reliably on 24/7 operations. Haven't moved to using 7200.8s.. maybe will wait till they solve the "seized motor" problem.. Can you inform us when they solve it? ;)

You know for all I know they may have solved it, can't say for sure yet, I mean their head spindle motor engineer was informed by us about the problem. I honestly can't say we've had any in lately for that issue, at least for about 2 months, could be a coincidence though, I'll have to wait and see if we end up getting a steady flow again. I'll keep you guys informed on that . . . .

Anandtech has weighed in with their 7200.8/400GB review: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2396

Strangely the tests show it to beat the Raptor in game load times. Of course it performs poorly as usual in most other benchmarks, but the Tech Report review had found the 7200.8 to be well behind the Raptor in game loads: http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2005q1/....8/index.x?pg=1

What is really strange about Anand's test unit is it delivered 70MB/sec over the whole disk. Tom's started near 70 but decayed to less than 40 at the end: http://www20.tomshardware.com/storage/2005...3400832a_400_gb

As did SR: http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2005...400832AS_1.html

Edited by bfg9000

I got 300gb PATA version. So far so good, installation was smooth, only Norton Ghost 9 was giving me crap because I was trying to convert FAT32 partition to a NTFS. The only thing that worries me a lot is that this drive is running really, really hot. In relatively cool conditions - room temp at 70-75F, it's was running up to 55C during intensive use (formatting, copying files etc). Compared to my old IBM DPTA drive, 34gb, which it replaced, it runs very hot, I couldn't even hold my finger on it, so hot it was - after I shut down the computer... :(

I dunno what's the deal with that, but it's too hot for my taste. My mobo is IC7 and it's rumored to report higher temp than normal, but does it affect HD temp reading? This seagate is the only drive I can get the reading off and it worries me how high it gets. My ambient temp in the case hovers around 30-32C, and this 300gb drive is running 46-47C right now (in use, defraggin), after I opened up a hole in the case close to it. I guess I have to cool it with a fan or something to make sure it doesn't cook itself :( Forget about putting a drive on top or below it in the same cage, it'll surely fry, and might take the neghbor with it :(

The three-platter models are supposed to be hot as Raptors. I have one of my 400GB sandwiched between two 15k.3s because it is the coolest disk--only 1/8" apart too. A single Panaflo L at 5v is plenty to cool all three 10 watt disks because there is plenty of surface area.

The three-platter models are supposed to be hot as Raptors.  I have one of my 400GB sandwiched between two 15k.3s because it is the coolest disk--only 1/8" apart too. A single Panaflo L at 5v is plenty to cool all three 10 watt disks because there is plenty of surface area.

203002[/snapback]

Thanks for reply. DOes that diminish the life of the HD tho? I mean running it a little hot? It does have 5 year warranty but I am worried about data :P

They aren't running hot, and since all 3 run at less than 43 degrees under extended use, I'd say there isn't a problem. I was just pointing out that any drive can stay cool even with extremely low airflow cooling; active cooling is a good idea but you don't need a lot of it.

I've purchased two Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA 250GB (ST3250823AS) something that has been bothering me is whenever I shut down the system right before it powers down I get like a click noise from the hard drives, I wanted to know if anyone else was getting this, if not I can carry out an RMA.

I never use to get this on my previous Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 160GB (ST3160023AS) and Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 200GB (ST3200822AS) drives which made only noise when reading or writing which is not the case with the new hard drives.

That's a feature I am familiar with from my 15k.3 scsi seagates. They also do that when shutting down, never heard that on any of my 7200.7's and when I get my new 7200.8's I will see whether they show this behaviour or not...

I recently bought myself a PATA 300GB 7200.8, and in my case, it runs significantly cooler than my existing WD 1600JB's, Hitachi 7K250's, and Maxtor DM10's.

Performance wise, the STR seems lower than SR's review, possibly because of lower platter density and/or being bottlenecked by my pathetic PCI bus. One peculiar thing I noticed in benchmarks is that in HD Tach, there was a 1/2 second or so "lag" on the first seek before the drive would do anything, this caused the average seek time to rise. If i ran two tests in quick succession (not allowing the drive to idle down between) then the seek time would be 1.5ms lower, due to the initial "lag" not being there. Now I've turned off APM and it seems more normal.

You know for all I know they may have solved it, can't say for sure yet, I mean their head spindle motor engineer was informed by us about the problem. I honestly can't say we've had any in lately for that issue, at least for about 2 months, could be a coincidence though, I'll have to wait and see if we end up getting a steady flow again. I'll keep you guys informed on that . . . .

hellyh72,

Any word on the 7200.8 drives and the seizing issue? We've got 2 250GB st3250823as drives that havent had any problems yet but are used as backup drives.