Prof.Wizard

LCD Monitors @ 12ms response time?

Last time I checked response times were too high, 20-25ms. Seems Sony has given the solution again.

But what's the trick? Not even EIZO offers something similar... :huh:

Sony SDM-HS94P

im_hs94ps_logo.jpg

Can someone explain these measurement differences?

(I knew it would have been something like that damnit...)

But what's the trick?

192128[/snapback]

TN panel, 18 bits dithered. Like the 16 ms ones a while back, just faster. Color rendition is still better on MVA/PVA panels (followed by IPS/S-IPS, which is faster at the same black-white-black response time), which have indeed not become significantly faster. Eizo apparently doesn't use TN panels then.

Apparently that (color rendition) explains EIZO's commitment in the professional segment.

If you did not read those articles (and you should read all of them) the cut of the jib is that the ISO standard states that the lowest response time attained throughout the entire color spectrum, can be used as the printed response time. In essence, it's absolutely meaningless. That is unless everything you do uses that one color! :D

The fastest 16.7million colored-LCDs are still the discontinued HyDis models. Basically anything else claiming sub-20ms response times is only using 256 thousand colors.

So if you want true color reproduction and fast game times, you have to wait for 1. The ISO standard to start using the average response time 2. PVA/MVA monitors to mature. It's a long ways off.

Well, I have that monitor you picture on my desk now. I'm torn between the Dell 2005FPW (20" Widescreen) that I really wish didn't have that backlight problem, and this HS94P (19" standard resolution). Here is my internal debate. :) I've had the Dell for about two weeks now and the Sony just came in on backorder today.

They both have their advantages. The Dell has a much better viewing angle range. If you get below the monitor on this Sony, it fades out quick. The Dell I got at $640, with a 1-year warranty. The Dell advertises a 12ms refresh, but in reality it's 12ms black to black, with 16ms black to white.

The Sony also advertises a 12ms refresh, but I think this one is real. (Black to black). Games aren't as blocky on the Sony, but the Dell was acceptable. The warranty on the Sony is 3 years. Gotta love those long warranties.

Text on the Sony is larger (native res 1280x1024) while the Dell is getting small (1680x1050). Other scaling modes like 1024x768 look better on the Sony, but that's only because the Sony is not widescreen. My Sony was ~$500 after rebate.

DVDs don't waste screen space on the Dell like they do on the Sony. But, I have three bright corners which is annoying. Depending on what angle you look at the Sony, there is a greenish-blue haze near the bottom that disappears the more on-axis you get when the screen is blank. There is just a hint of backlight bleed, but it is proportional accross the entire monitor.

So, I'm kind of torn between the two. Widescreen is the wave of the future, but is it for computers? 16:9 TVs are made for movies, and I would rather watch a move on the HDTV. Neither had any dead pixels.

What would you do?

The Sony also advertises a 12ms refresh, but I think this one is real. (Black to black). Games aren't as blocky on the Sony, but the Dell was acceptable. The warranty on the Sony is 3 years. Gotta love those long warranties.

Duh, black to black is 0ms. :lol: I meant black to white.

No real input on which to keep but you should be able to get $40-$50 back from Dell, should you decide to go that route:

30% off, with coupon code K8DT8B0WQLBDT5

Dell 2005FPW 20in widescreen Digital LCD Flat Panel 600:1 contrast ratio, 12ms response, DVI, Svideo, Composite Video $799 - 30% = $559.30, $14 shipping

Well, I have that monitor you picture on my desk now.  I'm torn between the Dell 2005FPW (20" Widescreen) that I really wish didn't have that backlight problem, and this HS94P (19" standard resolution).  Here is my internal debate.  :)  I've had the Dell for about two weeks now and the Sony just came in on backorder today.

They both have their advantages.  The Dell has a much better viewing angle range.  If you get below the monitor on this Sony, it fades out quick.  The Dell I got at $640, with a 1-year warranty.  The Dell advertises a 12ms refresh, but in reality it's 12ms black to black, with 16ms black to white.

The Sony also advertises a 12ms refresh, but I think this one is real.  (Black to black).  Games aren't as blocky on the Sony, but the Dell was acceptable.  The warranty on the Sony is 3 years.  Gotta love those long warranties.

Text on the Sony is larger (native res 1280x1024) while the Dell is getting small (1680x1050).  Other scaling modes like 1024x768 look better on the Sony, but that's only because the Sony is not widescreen.  My Sony was ~$500 after rebate.

DVDs don't waste screen space on the Dell like they do on the Sony.  But, I have three bright corners which is annoying.  Depending on what angle you look at the Sony, there is a greenish-blue haze near the bottom that disappears the more on-axis you get when the screen is blank.  There is just a hint of backlight bleed, but it is proportional accross the entire monitor.

So, I'm kind of torn between the two.  Widescreen is the wave of the future, but is it for computers?  16:9 TVs are made for movies, and I would rather watch a move on the HDTV.  Neither had any dead pixels.

What would you do?

192251[/snapback]

I'd buy a Samsung.

The Sony is also stylish. A real gem! :)

I called to return the Dell today. They were really nice about it and said they would pick up the monitor with no shipping either way. We shall see. Maybe in 6 months or so the 2005FPW will be the one to get.

Nothing beats the Samsung 193p yet

Stylish and a great performer!

192496[/snapback]

That does look like a nice monitor too, although the specs SAY 20ms response time, which is slow by today's standards.