Twistacatz

7500-8 v.s. 7506-8

Well, how much it can help depends on a number of factors. The most obvious is the array itself: you need ot have a pretty decent set of drives to eat up the 266 MB/s that the 7500 offers, but it can be done, especially with RAID 0.

Beyond that, however, if you have a PCI-66 64 bit bus then using the 7500 will slow it, and every other device on the bus, to 33 MHz. On an AMD MPX system, since the 66 MHz 64 bit bus also hosts the southbridge and hence the PCI-33 32 bit bus, this may lead to a reduction in the performance of perhipherals on that PCI bus if the PCI-66 64 bit bus is otherwise saturated with I/O from another PCI-66 device and/or something on the southbridge (for instance the ATA channels).

I'm glad I asked that question. Well then let me ask you this, is there a chipset that keeps the two bus's separate? And if not, if I used a board that had the MPX chipset, would a raid consisting of 8 (7200 8meg) drives in raid 5 using the 7500-8 and a gigabit card in the 32 bit slot ever bottle neck? On paper it seems like that's the case. Really I'm trying to find out which socket-a MB would match best with 7500-8 or 7506-8, for the lowest price. And if I should look at the 7506-8 or just roll with the 7500-8. Thanks for your help.

The 7506 will be a few percent faster, but uses the same firmware/drivers and offers the same features.