Sign in to follow this  
jboswald

Hibernate with SATA Raid-1

I have a ASUS P4S800D-E system and I just added to Barracuda 7200.8 300 Gig drives - which I setup in a Raid-1 configuration. I used Seagate's utility to copy the system from my old drive to the new one (I copied it to one new drive first - made sure that it still booted - then setup the Raid-1 configuration in the BIOS.

Now that I have done that - and re-allocated the old drive I find that when I got to hibernate the system it now takes 1 min and 57 seconds to complete the hibernate. Before it took no more than perhaps 5 to 10 seconds. Any idea why? I thought I'd move the hibernate file from the Raid-1 configuration to one of the other non-raid disks - but don't know how to specify where I want the hibernate file to be located.

You sure that You used hibernate and not stand-by? That <10 secs sounds like stand-by.

How much RAM do You have?

Cheers,

Jan

192141[/snapback]

Yes - I'm sure it was hibernate and not standby. The machine has 1 Gig of memory, and as part of the Raid setup I added a third 180 gig drive (so the machine now has a 300 gig RAID configured C/G disk, a 120 Gig 'D' drive, and a 180 Gig 'H' drive. (Don't know if the additional drive with associated file tables adds to the hibernate time??). Does anyone know how to move the location of the hibernate file? - I'd like to see if that makes a difference.

Hiberfil is loaded by ntldr, which only has boot.ini for parameters. There is none documented for hiberfil.

I think storage drivers use a different code path for hiberfil and crash dumps. Try a different version.

So the computer didn't have RAID before?

I think that hibernation uses the boot-time drivers for the controller. Which in most cases have no fancy things like Ultra DMA support. Hence the long time. I'm basically just quessing here, as I'm not an expert when it comes to NT kernel drivers.

AFAIK the hibernation file cannot be moved, it's always on the Boot partition (partition with the Windows-dir).

Cheers,

Jan

So the computer didn't have RAID before?

I think that hibernation uses the boot-time drivers for the controller. Which in most cases have no fancy things like Ultra DMA support. Hence the long time. I'm basically just quessing here, as I'm not an expert when it comes to NT kernel drivers.

AFAIK the hibernation file cannot be moved, it's always on the Boot partition (partition with the Windows-dir).

Cheers,

Jan

194777[/snapback]

The RAID controller was disabled in the BIOS before and I had two PATA drives. I then added two SATA drives - activated the RAID controller in the BIOS and setup the RAID-1 (Mirror) configuration. After that Hibernation takes almost 10 times longer to go to sleep. (Coming out of hibernation seems normal).

I've quit using Hibernate and simply to the standby now..

Thanks for the info on the hibernate file location.