darthglabrezu

My U360 HD fall to SCSI-3 Help Please

Please Help me :(

I have an adaptec AHA-39160 with a Maxtor Atlas 10K IV , its the U360 SCA-2 version, as i said in another post, i have a poor performance, with the hd tach benchmark the performance downs to 44 m/ps, in sandra pro 2005, the scsi information modules marks the hd as a SCSI-3 ansi specificatio, but the SCSI card in the ctrl-A bios negotiate as a u160.

Now i have 2 kind of adapters, a SCA-2 to 68 ; SCA to 68, both certificated as u-160, the results are the same, with another disk i have the same problem, (fujitsu MAS3367NC)

What can be the problem?? im totally lost, all the setings are standar, i havent changed any command or pin...

What can i do? change the cable? the adapter? the pci slot?

Any help is wellcome, thank you all.

Please Help me  :(

I have an adaptec AHA-39160 with a Maxtor Atlas 10K IV , its the U360 SCA-2 version, as i said in another post, i have a poor performance, with the hd tach benchmark the performance downs to 44 m/ps, in sandra pro 2005, the scsi information modules marks the hd as a SCSI-3 ansi specificatio, but the SCSI card in the ctrl-A bios negotiate as a u160.

Now i have 2 kind of adapters, a SCA-2 to 68 ; SCA to 68, both certificated as u-160, the results are the same, with another disk i have the same problem, (fujitsu MAS3367NC)

What can be the problem?? im totally lost, all the setings are standar, i havent changed any command or pin...

What can i do? change the cable? the adapter? the pci slot?

Any help is wellcome, thank you all.

191978[/snapback]

Your 39160 HBA is an Ultra160 adapter, not an Ultra320. Even though the drive is U320 (not U360, sorry), the interface will only run as fast as the slowest element and that's the U160 Adaptec.

Although I'm not sure what your benchmark measures, the 44MB/S performance probably isn't too far off what you should expect. The average speed of the drive is much slower than the peak speed of the Interface, and benchmarks usually measure averages, not peaks.

thanks for the reply, but you are wrong, y have tryed the hd in another pc, an the benchmark give now the good performance i was searching for. Now i have 110 mbps in burst and 70 in average in the Maxtor Atlas, and 120 burst 85 average in the Fujitsu 15k rpm, i dont know why in my other pc i cant get the same high performance...

What motherboard/PCI slot are you using ?

Have you checked the manufacturer website for BIOS update ? (both SCSI board and Motherboard).

MEJV

the scsi information modules marks the hd as a SCSI-3 ansi specificatio, but the SCSI card in the ctrl-A bios negotiate as a u160.

SCSI-3 is a specification, which includes commands and various transfer modes, amongst other things. U160 is one of the transfer modes accepted in SCSI-3. So what you have stated here is the way things should be, and not a problem as you seem to have believed.

To help us, help you better, can you please provide the following:

Your exact setup (both slow and fast setups), including:

1. motherboard (what chipset),

2. CPU,

3. RAM,

4. all adapter cards plugged in, (modems, sound cards, LAN, etc)

5. all onboard devices active, (LAN, sound, etc)

6. What type of slot the 39160 is plugged into?

7. OS, and what updates? what drivers?

8. What else is running on the system, eg firewall, anti-virus, P2P apps, etc.

As others have said, since the controller is only a U160 controller, that is all the drive will work up to.

However we might be able to do something about the through-put performance. (44MB/s vs 70MB/s).

PS. In future please benchmark harddrives using HDTach, instead of Sandra.

I use both benchmark, sandra file system benchmark & hd-tach 8mb.

there are my rigs:

Fast pc

P4 3000 Thermalright sp-94+Enermax UC9-FAB |Gigabyte GA-8IK1100|1Gb Kingston HyperX |Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 80 Gb SATA x2|9600 Pro 128mb|Levicom Xalien 520W

Slow pc

P4 2.6+Spark7+|1Gb Kingston|Asus P4R800-V Deluxe|Adaptec 39160|Maxtor Atlas 10K IV 146 Gb U160|NEC 2510A|Yamaha CRW2100 SCSI

Verify that the Yamaha CRW2100 and the Atlas IV are on different channels on the 39160.

CRW2100 should be on channel A while the Atlas connect to channel B.

Note that channel A contains both 68 pin and 50 pin connectors.

In the past, my motherboards had a pci-burst setup in the bios.

Changing the value affected the sequential throughput by a wide margin.

I had it setup between 32 and 64 clk, (I read somewhere this was where the optimum setup is : compromise between random/sequential transfers)

Check it out on your BIOS... I think your problem lies within the PCI setup...

Good luck!

MEJV

Looking at the user manual for your motherboard online, I found that there were a parameter called PCI latency (I believe it is the same as what I called earlier PCI-burst). Value between 0 and 255...

I would suggest to modify the value and test the disk speed... to figure out the best setup you can have...

MEJV

i lost all hope... T_T

i have tryed various latenci timer, the only variation is, with 0, the performance downs 10mgps, with more or less than the default(64) results dont change...

wtf...

Thanks a lot...

You're not using the integrated graphics on the P4R800 by any chance? If you are, try throwing a graphics card into the machine... (I just want to eliminate the IGP as a possible cause).

Other than that, I would have to say it's something to do with either the chipset and/or chipset drivers. (Since that is all that appears to be the difference between the 2 setups).

Also is the HDTach graph flat, or does it slope downward?

At this point, I would say your choices are:

1. try a different SCSI card and if that doesn't work,

2. then swap the P4R800 for another board... (pref one with a 875 chipset, since you know there is no problem with the 875 chipset, used by the Gigabyte board).

PS. You are disabling Antivirus while running the benchmark?

What different SCSI card did you use? And were the results exactly the same?

The CPU usage, and access times all look right, just the transfer rate is capped at 45MB/s...

PS. You are using the drivers for the 39160 that came with Windows XP? Have you tried installing EZ-SCSI and having it display the SCSI info within Windows? (This should display the exact same results as displayed on the SCSI card BIOS, eg drive operating at U160).

I'm just trying to think what may be causing it to cap at 45MB/s.

Do you have another SCSI drive? Does it have the same results?

Hmm, have termination problems been ruled out? I don't see the type and placement of terminators discussed above; could you provide some details?

Hmm, have termination problems been ruled out? I don't see the type and placement of terminators discussed above; could you provide some details?

192210[/snapback]

The controller is seeing it as a U160 device, and Sandra is also backing this up.

well, another battle lost, with agp card, the result were the same...

i tryed with the same model scsi, im using the latest driver from adaptec...

but ez-scsi is not supported by xp ??

192214[/snapback]

Try using the drivers that came with XP, not the Adaptec ones.