Big Buck Hunter

Partition Magic Sucks

While this post may be absent of profanity, my state of mind certainly is not.

So I have a 120BB that I want to resize a partition on (120 GB to 80GB. 60Gb is used space). So I pop in my copy of PQMagic, installl it, change the partition size, make a recovery disk, and click apply. It tell me that it has to reboot XP, so I agree to it. XP reboots and the partition starts to resize. Then I get all of these "/Invalid Parameter" messages and it aborts (any key to reboot).

Now the partition is absolutely screwed. Can't get into XP, can't recover vi PQM or the XP recovery CD. Can't mount the disk from linux (bad superblock). All of the data is abso-fricking-lutely gone. Find NTFS and a bunch of other data recovery tools find jack squat.

Moral of the story. Never.... Absolutely NEVER recommend PQMagic to anyone, for anything. I hope powerquest goes bankrupt.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine. I gave up on Partition magic long ago. Seems like it would never recognize my larger HDs that I've usually had. On other times when it would, it would give me errors. I switched to Acronis, seems like a much better program.

That seems a bit severe - it truly sucks that it messed up your system, but I have used it hundreds of times without problems.

There have been times when it couldn't help me, but it never did any damage.

However, Symantec bought Powerquest about a year ago, so it will not be a product I would use in the long term.

Thank you for reinforcing my belief that partition-resizing software is dangerous.  No backup, either, Frank?

191856[/snapback]

I have most of the important stuff (my morrowind savegames) on other drives. I did lose a couple of dreamcast games that I had ripped to test chankast. I only have a serial connection to my DC so that ripping takes forever.

Frank

Frank, sorry to hear you caught the Yellow Box Fever flu. I'm glad you didn't lose too much data.

191868[/snapback]

Thanx for the empathy. I'm less worried about the data loss as I am the fact that a company can release a product that destroys data with the click of a button, and still be in business. While I have used the product a number of times, it blows my mind that this was not caught in testing.

Frank

PMPro is why I don’t trust anything other then Fdisk. I’m slowly, VERY slowly, warming up to the software that comes with retail disks, but that’s about it. If I have nothing to loose (literally) I will use PMPro. Most of the time I will use it to mount a newly added disk, but that’s it.

I’ve found that primary boot partitions made with PM hardly ever work properly.

I just with Fdisk could recognize NTFS. I will wait the extra hour to install a disk, at least I will know its done right.

My rant is a bid different from yours but yes; I’ve had the same trouble with PM. I only use it when I can afford to junk my hard drive.

Hi,

I'm another all time user of PMagic, and also found that latest releases are not as trustable as they were some years ago (specially with sizes > 32GB). Fortunately and thanks to how cheap is hardware these days, I always do a full image backup of the partition into an external USB drive before messing with partitioning proggies... glad you dind not lose all your data anyways.

While this post may be absent of profanity, my state of mind certainly is not.

So I have a 120BB that I want to resize a partition on (120 GB to 80GB.  60Gb is used space).  So I pop in my copy of PQMagic, installl it, change the partition size, make a recovery disk, and click apply.  It tell me that it has to reboot XP, so I agree to it.  XP reboots and the partition starts to resize.  Then I get all of these "/Invalid Parameter" messages and it aborts (any key to reboot).

Now the partition is absolutely screwed.  Can't get into XP, can't recover vi PQM or the XP recovery CD.  Can't mount the disk from linux (bad superblock).  All of the data is abso-fricking-lutely gone.  Find NTFS and a bunch of other data recovery tools find jack squat.

Moral of the story.  Never....  Absolutely NEVER recommend PQMagic to anyone, for anything.  I hope powerquest goes bankrupt.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

191854[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about that, Frank. Like many other people, I have also used Partition Magic for years without problems (upgraded to PM 8.0, never used PM Pro) although maybe the latest versions are not up to scratch. As an aside, I've just had VMware 4.5.2 crash on me (running under Linux, with Win2K as a guest OS, on a real hard disc). It wiped it's partition table completely, even PM couldn't rescue it. Had to install Windows XP from fresh.

I'm sorry for your trouble.

I used PM8 many times and have not have any problems at all.

I installed the PM8 program only (no the other junk that comes with it) and my biggest hard drives are 80GB WD. I'd like to try with a >300gb hard drive to see if the problem is related to hard drive size.

That was a bad one, Frank. My sympathies.

In my limited experience with PM I've never encountered trouble. But I still prefer to repartition a drive by first ghosting it to a spare followed by CRC-check, and individually resize the target partitions upon restoration of the image.

This procedure hasn't failed in years of use, but even if it did it already incorporates a verified image backup to a separate drive, for peace of mind.

I have had a couple problems with PM also, but in my cases I already knew something was wrong with the disk partition and was trying it as a long shot. Most of those times it just wound up with a cryptic error message after doing nothing too.

Another long time PM user. Sorry to hear of your experience.

But I typically boot to DOS myself before running it; or if I have to

run from Windows, I do so from a separate Windows install than the

partition I plan to work on.

I don't recall ever having a problem I could directly attribute to Partition

Magic, but I go thru a paranoia check of chkdsk and defrag before using

it just in case, along with copying data to a free partition or archive when

I can.

Coincidentally, I was just talking to an old friend who lost a partition to Partition Magic. In his case, PQmagic said that the resize had succeeded, but upon reboot, was told that the HAL DLL and ntldr were missing.

In my own experience, Partition Magic crashed after a few minutes because BIOS was set to disable writes to the MBR. This is an extremely common BIOS option, and it was just amazing that PowerQuest hasn't considered testing to see if it was enabled after 7 version releases.

Considering how important it is that software like this not screw up, the QA at Powerquest has always been surprisingly awful. Now they are owned by another company with similarly horrible QA, Symantec. One can only imagine the horrors that their combined talent will come up with now.

Fortunately and thanks to how cheap is hardware these days, I always do a full image backup of the partition into an external USB drive before messing with partitioning proggies...

Would it not then be just as easy to ghost to the backup drive and then ghost it back, changing the partitions to the desired new sizes in the process? And you'd always end up with contiguous partitions, too.

Symantec products started getting really bad after the DOS days. Windows versions of Norton ant anti-virus seem to get even more bloated and run slower every year. I remember when people used to swear by norton utilities but modern operating systems and other better programs made them obselete for the most part.

Please....

Just because you had a bad experience doesnt mean the software suck.

It's a risky thing to do, managing partitions with data on them.

Thats why Powerquest recommends you to backup tyour stuff before you do anything.

Also... iv'e used this proggie the last 7 years. No problems.

And yeah... you need later versions to support large disks.

Sorry it went wrong for you though.

I have most of the important stuff (my morrowind savegames) on other drives.  I did lose a couple of dreamcast games that I had ripped to test chankast.  I only have a serial connection to my DC so that ripping takes forever.

LOL... :lol::rolleyes:

And I thought you lost important PhD work...

Would it not then be just as easy to ghost to the backup drive and then ghost it back, changing the partitions to the desired new sizes in the process?  And you'd always end up with contiguous partitions, too.

191944[/snapback]

That's exactly my advice, and you may be right that Ghost would do a better job of ordering and writing the partition data.

I don't know what makes you think PowerQuest are still in business. Have you tried going to their website lately? http://www.powerquest.com

I've had good and bad luck with PMPro 7. You just have to be careful about what you're doing, if you're going to do it. I like PMPro 7 better than Ghost 2002 (which I also have), but I do want to try Acronis TrueImage - I read good things about it.

I have also lost data because of partition magic, but in my case it was "just" the boot/windows-partition and quite easy (although not fun) to reinstall...

But, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't Partition Magic write in _BIG BOLD LETTERS_: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP BEFORE... bla bla bla

(although this kind of defeats at least half the purpose of being able to resize partions... If you make a backup you might as well repartion the drives and write back the data yourself)

(although this kind of defeats at least half the purpose of being able to resize partions... If you make a backup you might as well repartion the drives and write back the data yourself)

192741[/snapback]

Restoring the data and reinstalling OS and apps takes a lot longer than just making a backup of your data.

@Frank

Sorry to hear of your loss..

PM8 saves me a lot of time. Even considering I use the Floppy-version (I do not really trust the Windows-version, too many potential problems and interferences -Hey! It's Windows! ;) -)

Also, I made a partition on a backup drive with Win2K fully installed with SP4, hotfixes, drivers etc. Done multiple resizes, changing clustersize and the lot, without any problems. It never failed me and it's more versatile than what I've seen of Ghost.

Now I'm experimenting with DOS, booting from a SATA drive. Thanks to PM, I have the abillity to set active and/or hidden partitions very easily.

As for data recovery: I would recommend R-Studio. Helped me get my data back from a compromised 60GXP. Make sure to use the right version (NTFS or FAT)!

I have to say I use the floppy version of PM almost exclusively, it just makes more sense when working with the OS partition. I only use the windows version for working with USB drives on the fly.