Sign in to follow this  
hachigo

DVI-I vs DVI-D cable

What is the difference between a DVI-I cable and a DVI-D cable??

I just bought a LG 1710B LCD monitor with a DVI connection and I'm not sure which cable to use.

My Asus Radeon 9600XT has a DVI-I connector but I believe the monitor is able to use a DVI-D signal.

Right now I have a DVI-I dual link cable.

The only difference I have heard is that DVI-I is a "digital/analog" connector while the DVI-D is purely digital.

So say I'm using a DVI-I cable, how do I know whether it is in a purely digital mode?

Thanks for any help.

The vast majority of monitors have DVI-D (digital only) connectors. Therefore, if the monitor only has a DVI input, it is likely to be using digital.

Thanks, now how can I tell whether the digital connection is being used?

191844[/snapback]

RTFM ;)

The manual states that the OSD will allow you to adjust the image position or tracking only if an analog signal is being displayed.

If you think that the display is lying to you, then you'll need to acquire a DVI-D cable or start cutting the analog pins off of a DVI-I cable. :)

RTFM ;)

The manual states that the OSD will allow you to adjust the image position or tracking only if an analog signal is being displayed.

If you think that the display is lying to you, then you'll need to acquire a DVI-D cable or start cutting the analog pins off of a DVI-I cable. :)

191866[/snapback]

I'm a bit suspicious because the shape of the screen is a bit like it is using an analog connection. It is rotated counter-clockwise slightly and there is also a bit of pincushioning. And of course since the OSD says it is using a digital connection, I can't adjust any of it.

You should be able to adjust that on the card end - at least my FGLs can do that.

In the worst case scenario, you could always use an analog connection. But the answer is that yes, right now you are running a digital connection.

Well, I connected the D-sub cable also and switched back and forth between digital and analog connections and there is a HUGE difference in picture quality between the 2 modes on this monitor.

The D-sub is less bright and the text is blurry as well.

So I guess I'll just stick with the DVI-I cable and forget the DVI-D cable.

You should be able to adjust that on the card end - at least my FGLs can do that.

In the worst case scenario, you could always use an analog connection.  But the answer is that yes, right now you are running a digital connection.

191880[/snapback]

As far as I can tell, even on the card end, I can only adjust when in analog mode. In digital mode I get no options to do that.

I'm using a Asus Radeon 9600XT on Win2000 SP4 with Radeon Omega drivers.

Maybe I should call LG about the screen shape.