Guest Eugene

Maxtor Atlas 15K II

Guest Eugene

Nearly two years ago, Maxtor's Atlas 15K struggled with Fujitsu's MAS3735 in a battle to claim the title of "world's fastest drive." Fujitsu's next-generation unit, the MAU3147, has left the door slightly ajar- can the Atlas 15K II capitalize on the opening? Join StorageReview as we put Maxtor's latest titan to the test!

Maxtor Atlas 15K II Review

Thanks for the good review !

Nice drive, but it offers only half capacities than it's current generation competitors.

By keeping TPI same and improving everything around it, one can expect the reported results.

I think Seagate and Fujitsu are struggeling with keeping the heads as quiet over the much smaller bits compared to former generation drives.

Thanks for the good review !

Nice drive, but it offers only half capacities than it's current generation competitors.

By keeping TPI same and improving everything around it, one can expect the reported results.

I think Seagate and Fujitsu are struggeling with keeping the heads as quiet over the much smaller bits compared to former generation drives.

just noted I wrote big BS above! Sorry!! Mixed something up....

No award given for being the fastest drive released in two years? What does a harddrive manufacturer have to DO to deserve one of the coveted SR medals? :blink:

:)

Hi all, i just bought an Adaptec 2100s U160 raid controller card and a Maxtor Atlas 15k II 36Gb U320 Hard Disk Drive. And there i was all happy about having top performance in my workstation when i decided to measure the systems disk performance with hdtune 2.10 software....

I have to say i was amazed that instead of an expected 98MB/s i am only getting about 37,5MB/s tops. I did upgrade the 2100s firmware to the latest versions available and activated all possible caching to speed up the process, i even installed winXP and win2k3 to check for alterations... and nothing....

I am a bit frustrated at the moment, i know i am only using a simple PCI bus, but such bus is limited to 132MB/s... not 37,5MB/s....

Any ideia why this is happening? what may be preventing the system from acheiving the expected 98MB/s?

Thank you kindly!

Hugo

There's no obvious reason (assuming you're referring to read speed, and that that benchmark is configured correctly and reporting accurately). I suggest you start a new thread in the Computing forum here, where your question will recieve more attention from the SR troubleshooting community.

Most likely, it's something to do with the benchmark or your setup, rather than the drive itself, but I'm not sure what exactly.

There's no obvious reason (assuming you're referring to read speed, and that that benchmark is configured correctly and reporting accurately). I suggest you start a new thread in the Computing forum here, where your question will recieve more attention from the SR troubleshooting community.

Most likely, it's something to do with the benchmark or your setup, rather than the drive itself, but I'm not sure what exactly.

197345[/snapback]

you bought a terible controller and its in a 32bit slot. A simple lsi non raid controller would solve your probelms. Try a lsi 21320.

Tex

197345[/snapback]

you bought a terible controller and its in a 32bit slot. A simple lsi non raid controller would solve your probelms. Try a lsi 21320.

Tex

197357[/snapback]

Thanks guys, but unfortunately changing the entire system is not a practical solution for what must be a simple problem... At this moment all i have is a p4 board with a 32bits/33mhz very simple PCI slot that is able to do 132MB/s. i have a controler that specs 160MB/s and a HDD that specs 98MB/s... even if this is a terrible controller, i cant see a reason for it not to perform as specified... there must be something wrong, but even though i've been working with computers for 20years now, this is my very first encounter with scsi technology and i beleive that i must be doing something wrong somehow... this specific 2100s card had a memory dimm with 128MB, and when HDTune checks its burst rate it also sticks it to about 37,5MB/s... i would expect at least 132MB/s since its all between ram -> PCI -> ram....

This is all very frustrating... specially the fact that i am rather clueless about the reasons...

But thanks once again for the effort...

Hugo

Thanks guys, but unfortunately changing the entire system is not a practical solution for what must be a simple problem... At this moment all i have is a p4 board with a 32bits/33mhz very simple PCI slot that is able to do 132MB/s. i have a controler that specs 160MB/s and a HDD that specs 98MB/s... even if this is a terrible controller, i cant see a reason for it not to perform as specified... there must be something wrong, but even though i've been working with computers for 20years now, this is my very first encounter with scsi technology and i beleive that i must be doing something wrong somehow... this specific 2100s card had a memory dimm with 128MB, and when HDTune checks its burst rate it also sticks it to about 37,5MB/s... i would expect at least 132MB/s since its all between ram -> PCI -> ram....

This is all very frustrating... specially the fact that i am rather clueless about the reasons...

But thanks once again for the effort...

Hugo

197378[/snapback]

Well, i also own a 36gb Maxtor Atlas 15k II.

I get an accesstime of 5.4ms (which is higher then the 5.1ms which are in the spec for the 36gb drive) and i also can't get 98mb/s out of my drive. However, it tops somewhere between 94 - 96mb/s which i like.

I have it togheter with two Fuijtsu MAP drives on 1 u160 channel.

I am, however, alltogheter very pleased with the drive. The first thing i noticed was that it was very quiet. It actually is more quiet then my (old) WD1200JB drives. Very strange. That's only when it's idle. I love it seeks :).

Try another controller. I have tested this drive also on a Tekram DC390-u2w drive. The result was that i didn't get above about 67-72mb/s. But hey, it was a limit of the controller, not the disk. I think this is the case in your case.

GL with it :)

I received my 36GB 15K II a few days ago, and what can i say, i love it.

BTW, HD-Tach 3.0.1.0 result:

15K%20II%20Bench%208MB.jpg

Best regards,

Swen

PS: Controller is an Adaptec 39160.

Hi all, i just bought an Adaptec 2100s U160 raid controller card and a Maxtor Atlas 15k II 36Gb U320 Hard Disk Drive. And there i was all happy about having top performance in my workstation when i decided to measure the systems disk performance with hdtune 2.10 software....

I have to say i was amazed that instead of an expected 98MB/s i am only getting about 37,5MB/s tops. I did upgrade the 2100s firmware to the latest versions available and activated all possible caching to speed up the process, i even installed winXP and win2k3 to check for alterations... and nothing....

I am a bit frustrated at the moment, i know i am only using a simple PCI bus, but such bus is limited to 132MB/s... not 37,5MB/s....

Any ideia why this is happening? what may be preventing the system from acheiving the expected 98MB/s?

Thank you kindly!

Hugo

197299[/snapback]

Hello everybody!

I found this 3d using google, and I decided to post since I'm experiencing the same problem.

I have a MSI 875P Mobo with an Adaptec 2100S RAID card on pci32 and 2 cheetah 10K.6 in raid 0.

I have the same problem, the average transfer rate is around 35MB/sec with HDTune, and around 50MB/sec with HDTach.

I've updated the Bios, FirmWare, NVRAM and SMOR to the latest version, and installed the latest win2000/Xp driver for winXP.

I've updated the mobo bios but no go, there's no way to make the ctrl speed up his transfer rate or burst rate.

Forthemore I found this:

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/4.html

that is an article where it seems that this problem is well known with VIA chipset mobo, and the solution seems to be a patch released by VIA:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

[click WinXP-->IDE RAID & SATA-->3rd Party CTRLs]

or an UN-ufficial patch called vlatency_v019 that you can find on the net.

The problem is that the intel-based mobo are not mentioned, while I've the same problem.

I'm looking everywhere in the adaptec and Intel websites, but I can't find anything.

Hoping that someone could help us, I would suggest to start a new thread with this problem, and please make me know in some ways.

Thanks a lot a sorry for my English, I'm Italian... :P

- CRL -

CRL, your best bet is probably to replace the controller. It's gained a bit of a reputation for slowness around here.

yuggy just a quick one are you using sca adaptors, i had problems with my drives and i was getting around 40mbs and i traced it down to my sca adaptors, they were old and didnt allow the drive to work at rated speed.

I am using a Adaptec 29160 and i have 2 10k seagates running at their full rated speed of a 32 bit pci slot.