CADMonkey

Hot Laptop HDD

I keep a Dell Inspiron 8100 as a backup computer and for my wife to email/surf. I may turn it on once a quarter. Recently I downloaded DTEMP just to check the HDD temperature and it idles @ 59c and after a virus scan or defrag it goes up to 69c. Also there is a Smartdrive red flag for load/unload landing cycle. I don't notice any problems, but then again I never use it. Am I in the market for a new HDD?

I think those temps are normal for a laptops hdd. If you dont move the laptop around, try to get yourself one of those laptop coolers, just put it underneath the laptop.

Thanks

My IBM T40 has 2 HDDs, one 4,200rpm 30GB and one 40GB 5,400rpm - they do not go over 45C with dtemp.

No idea whats the CPU in a Dell 8100, maybe that guy heats up the system too much.

69C? That's way too much..

Thanks for the replies. The processor is a PIII-M 1.13GHz with an Hitachi - DK23CA20. The system fan is coming on. The temps I posted are with air circulating below, unfortunately. I've never owned another laptop for comparison, but the idle noise is much louder than my Raptor WD740GD. I wouldn't mind replacing the HDD if that is the only problem. Do failing drives produce elevated temps?

My HP laptop has a hot hard drive as well. It was around 60C as well. It's normal, don't worry. The drive is a year and a half old (30 gb) and it has been fine. Only one bad sector. They're designed to withstand higher heat. :)

My HP laptop has a hot hard drive as well.  It was around 60C as well.  It's normal, don't worry.  The drive is a year and a half old (30 gb) and it has been fine.  Only one bad sector.  They're designed to withstand higher heat. :)

2.5" drives can withstand more shock than 3.5" drives, but none of the datasheets i've seen have indicated that they can withstand higher heat than 3.5" drives.

You might not be happy to hear this either:

We have a fleet of 30 Dell Optiplex C610 Laptops (purchased March - May 2002). They also run very hot, especially the Hard drives. So far we have had 15 hard drives fail. A couple of laptops are on their third drive now. Most hard drives went around the 2-2.5 year mark. Record so far is 4 weeks (original drive in laptop), followed by 8 weeks for a replacement brand new 40G Hitachi Dell shipped me in September.

Make sure you have a good backup (see thread on Ghost Vs TrueImage) if you have any data on a laptop drive you need to keep (or you don't look forward to setting up your Operation System and software again from scratch).

Regards,

Michael.

Bummer. Now I'm wondering if it worth replacing the hard drive, and if so, with what?

If it's a laptop design issue that causes the HD to run so hot, then it probably won't do much good to replace the hard drive unless it has failed.

If you were to replace it though, you would want to get the coolest-running HD possible. Which means a 60GB 7200rpm speedster would be out of the question.