Dollar

RAID5 on "old" WD2000JB-drives

I few years ago I ran 8 WD1200JB’s in RAID5, at first software, later on a RocketRAID 404, and over a period of a year, year and a half I saw 5 drives go bust. A buddy of mine ran much the same setup, and also had a lot for hassle. About 2 years ago I swapped all the disks for WD2000JBs of which I now have about two dozen (only one have failed thus far)… but I’ve never been running them in RAID.

I’ve decided not to swap them for new ones, but I'm not realy comfy about storing all my data on such old disks. I'm considering RAID5 but I don’t care to have to dismantle my server and RMA a drive a month due to RAID5 killing old drives.

Is RAID5 (a lot) more likely to kill my disks that “normal†usage? The server is running 24/7, but with only a 10mbit internet connection and local clients using wlan load/performance requirements are almost none existent.

While a RAID 5 does make drives do more work (as each write involves at least one read and one additional write), it's not any more than the drives should have been able to do on their own.

I'd say that either there is something funny with your setup, or this is just more poor quality control from Western Digital.

While a RAID 5 does make drives do more work (as each write involves at least one read and one additional write), it's not any more than the drives should have been able to do on their own.

I'd say that either there is something funny with your setup, or this is just more poor quality control from Western Digital.

I know, the difference (from non-RAID) is the the constant high load, instead of 1/8 drives working til store/access data 8 drives need to work (harder), this adds up to a lot of load. My experience hasn't been very good, thus far but what is you guys take on this, is RAID more likely to give me trouble?

Controllers I'll use this time will be a RocketRAID 404 (flashed for RAID5) and a 3ware 7500-8. I'll be running two arrays with 8 drives.

As I said, this is not any more work that they should be able to otherwise do; i.e., the load alone cannot be at fault unless the drives were bad in the first place.

You also need to examine the packaging of the drives - a lot of RAID setups do not ensure adequate cooling of the drives, which can cause failures if too extreme. Was the RAID box shoved in a closet without adequate ventilation? Then you have to examine the power supply - was it flakey from being overloaded by the large demands of that many drives?

In short, a frequent issue with RAID is the environmental factors, not just the drives themselves...even good drives can be mishandled.

Future Shock

Seems to me you guys think I should give RAID another go, on my ancient hardware ;)

The PSU is an Enermax 550w, which is rocksolid at 4.95/11.98v.

However, working temp is a bit high in my opinion, mobo, CPU and drives all report 95-105f and drives/heatsinks feels about that as well. Room temp is 70-80f. Unfortunately there is nothing to do about this, it's located in the only room in the house there the noise isn't an issue, and with Delta fans noise is a concern :)