dextroz

Stolen Laptop

Hi guys,

My laptop got stolen sometime in July. I recently discovered that I had the MAC addresses for its wireless and LAN card. Is there a way that I can trace it? Even if with the help of the cops or so?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

If you know the model and serial number you can try calling to the manufacturer to see someone brought it in for repairs. This is hoping some really stupid character stole it though.

You didn't perhaps have any remote control software loaded on it and by default enabled did you?

Do you any? It could be of use for MY notebook... :ph34r:

You didn't perhaps have any remote control software loaded on it and by default enabled did you?

I had a program installed, but I am guessing they have formatted the machine by now.

Is there any other program that I can install/setup on a hidden partition in my computer or even in windows which will access the internet and post me the current details such as IP address, hostname, ISP, location - if the dumbass whose stolen it has updated it, etc?

This is amazing - I have the friking MAC Id which is unique to that machine and every happy fellowing ISP can read it but still the cops (or whoever) can't recover it!

I am sure its not that hard to track a MAC address on the Internet - unless you are using proxy/NAT or something.

the only people that are going to see a mac address are those who were directly contacting it (e.g. a node on a lan pinging a node on a lan with no crap in-between)

If you know the model and serial number you can try calling to the manufacturer to see someone brought it in for repairs.  This is hoping some really stupid character stole it though.

Could use this information and the MAC address to check ebay listings...maybe thief(s) is(are) really stupid.

Many manufacturers have DB's of stolen equipment. With Dell, you can call them up and give them the serial number. You will be contacted if anyone tries to register the laptop, get support on it, etc.

Last time I bought a load of Dells at a fire sale, I had to get "Transfer of Ownership" forms.

Frank

Godd point.

Yes I have been browsing e-bay every other week for Acer latops but non of them match my machine :-/

Oh well...