davidedney123

Teach spammers a lesson!

Hi

Here is a story describing a program from Lycos that runs as a screensaver, and continually requests small amounts of data from webservers used by known spammers to sell products. Not DDoS, it just aims to cost them a fortune in bandwidth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4051553.stm

You can get it here

http://makelovenotspam.com/intl/

From the US I guess you'd say "international english". The only way we can even hope to wipe out spam is to make it non profitable, and this is one way to do that.

Dave

Of course you can have routers just block those requests.

Not possible as long as the requests mimic the requests that a spam email would generate...

Another way, would be never ever buy any product advertised by spam.

I am sure that most of us here have never bought anything from spam. The problem is that lots of newbies *do* buy stuff from spam, and there are even people who *enjoy* getting spam and buying products advertised there. That's why it's so profitable.

I am not sure if I agree with Lycos' idea or not... Certainly it will cost the spammers $$$, and it could make it harder for their customers aka victims to get through. An eye for an eye... Hmmmm.

Well, it is food for thought if nothing else.

Ian

Its interesting. I wonder if the spammers can sue lycos for launching a DOS attack.

Technically a DDOS attack... ;)

The answer to any lawsuit of course is to have a cross-platform, freeware version of it be built and distributed by notice on Slashdot and other rabidly socially-oriented sites...

Future Shock