HisMajestyTheKing

Working for a lawfirm

I've been looking for another job for several months now. The ones that were offered to me were usually less than interesting either financially or just plain stupid first line support functions. Now I can go to a British lawfirm in Brussels next week to present myself. It's for a combination support/network administration. Seems interesting at the surface. I would probably make €400 before taxes more than now but without a company car (which would be nice but I don't need it - I pay €185/month for my current company car).

I'll also have to travel occasionally to the London for training and backup.

Big problem is... They're LAWYERS. I must say I'm somewhat distrustful of lawyers, with their stuffy reputation and all. Anyone who has experience working for lawyers?

I've only talked to the girl from the recruiting firm (handsome young thing, yummy) and she says that occasionally I should be available outside office hours. Anyway, they would pay overtime. She said they pay for nearly everything extra and whatever I need will be supplied. Cell phone and laptop/desktop if I need to work at home for example.

I'll have to brush up my English though.

I'll have to brush up my English though.

In that case, the expression is "I'll have to brush up ON my English" :) I wouldn't worry about it though, I'm sure your English will suffice. From what I've seen you are quite capable of expressing yourself in English.

Damn... I wasn't sure about the "on". I deleted it after much deliberation... <_<

I know my written English isn't bad at all but it's been a long while since I've spoken it a lot.

Law firms are clueless regarding tech, but they can EASILY become very reliant upon a good, knowledgable tech that can help them. This is a very stable working situation if you can get it.

Remember the old saying "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Seems appropriate!

Future Shock

Most I know say lawers are some of the worst people to work for.

Law firms are clueless regarding tech, but they can EASILY become very reliant upon a good, knowledgable tech that can help them.

Lawer: Teach me how to do it so I don't have to bother you all the time. :blink:

Speaking in generalities:

Criminal defense attorney are pretty scummy. They give me the willies.

Civil lawyers are OK. They can be real helpful if you’re on their giving end. Compared to criminal defense attorneys they are pretty good foke. But if you’re on the receiving end of their trade they can really piss you off. This is where you will see your ambulance chasers and corporate attorneys. But this is also where you will find your union lawyers and workmen comp lawyers. Also, here you will find your private attorneys. Those that handle deeds, lands, right-of-way’s, property disputes, land lord/tenant disputes, inheritance, tax issues, equal opportunity employment, and civil rights to say only a few.

Criminal prosecutors are usually pretty good people, hard working foke that wont to see justice served.

I guess it all depends on what your firm does.

I work for a software consultantcy company that basically just works for law firms. We have some service organizations and a couple of banks as clients too. And from what I've seen of the inside of law firms, they are good places to work. In slow times in the economy a law firm job is stable. I would recommend you take this job unless you are morally opposed to working for/supporting lawyers.