elec999

Computer a bad audiction

I just taught of something, a computer without the internet is pretty close to useless. And I am sure other people agree with me.

Thanks

I was addicted before the internet. I was hooked when the challenges pushed me to move beyond logic in order to solve them.

I just taught of something, a computer without the internet is pretty close to useless. And I am sure other people agree with me.

Yup. If you're an info junkie like me, a computer with no 'net connection is rather unexciting. No IC datasheets or other interesting stuff, not even ebay, pretty boring if you ask me.

WRT upgrades, the last but one I did to my duallie was getting another 256 meg stick (at least a 7 ns one is now a bit cheaper than a 7.5 ns two years ago :rolleyes:), replacing a 64 megger, for a total of 704 megs. The last one was a new used sound card for not too many question marks (Terratec DMX XFire 1024, very good value for <= 10 EUR). Maybe I'll get me a yet nicer one soon (there are some rather nice Envy24HT based cards with good-quality DACs out there, but the E-MU 0404 also looks or rather sounds nice). CPU or graphics cards upgrades? Nah, not any time soon. Dual 500Es and a Radeon 9000 are perfectly sufficient, and they get the job done as quiet as it gets.

My poor old notebook got downgraded to a useless pile of junk recently by a few amps flowing through it. Sucky Dell C series docking station connectors! :angry: I hope that at least the HDD survived. Sometimes I feel like a strange attractor for bad luck.

To take over the mail backup function from the notebook, I dug out my old main box (P3B-F/800EB/384 megs etc.) and proceeded to make it appropriately quiet. The old ST320430A and ST38420A drives were ripped out and replaced by a Cheetah 36ES (ST318406LW) in a foam decoupled drive cage, and the front fan which became very audible afterwards (Papst 8412L, a silent model of yore) had to go in favor of an Arctic Cooling Fan Pro TC (much quieter). The Cheetah just needs *some* airflow after all. The result turned out to be rather pleasing, both comps are at least in the same league noise wise now, and the drive decoupling works even better than that in the duallie. (The PSU fan had already been swapped earlier, and dampening had been applied to the case as well.) For the old secondary graphics card which had to go due to space constraints and general uselessness, the more compact old sound card from the duallie moved in (AudioPCI 64V), accompanying an AWE64 Value which doesn't sound too great to my ears.

I wouldn't say useless but for an IT person a PC without an internet connection is indeed like Christmas without Santa Claus. In fact the best upgrade I ever made was from dial-up wiht a dinky old 56k modem to - at the time - 750 kbps ADSL.

I have to add my Internet experience was a joke for quite awhile I could only connect at 31K :( needless to say this is not what I would call a pleasant Internet experience. I cursed and cursed now I have DSL what a difference. :D A computer nowadays without DSL isn't even worth buying just get a better TV. :lol:

I was addicted in 1982 - the year I bought my first single-board Ohio Scientific PC w/ 8K RAM, an Epson dot-matrix printer, and a Radio Shack acoustic coupled modem (300 baud). There was an internet, but it wasn't as all-pervasive (mostly academic) as it is now...bulletin board systems were the way people really connected.

In that respect, sites like SR are the modern equivalents of the old BBS systems - a number of regulars, a series of visitors, and evolving content. In fact, my current handle is the one that I used starting in 1983 for the Indianopolis PC User's Board...

Future Shock

So... you're an old fart  ;)

But I LOOK damned young... :lol:

FS

I taught I could fix this whole pc rapid addiction by buying a laptop which I cant really upgrade. But the damn thing is falling apart, I am scared to touch laptops, or is just Toshiba.

Thanks

Hm... I usually don't upgrade, I just build a near top of the line best bang for the buck computer and use it for the next two or three years. The only exception is my current PC which I was forced to build underpowered due to money constraints and current video card prices, so I gradually improved it over the past year as the parts got cheaper. I usually invest a little more into memory, 1Gb right now, not that I cross 512 mark that often, but I hate swapping, it slows your PC tenfold and simple things as .NET or Word + Photoshop push the memory limits to the 512Mb, so I would rather get a little overhead and feel safe. My last two upgrades were buying a new soundcard about a year ago (Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1) because I grew tired of crappy aureal and creative sound and a 3.0Ghz northwood a week ago because I got a good deal on a used CPU for $155 shipped and was able to sell my old Celeron2.4Ghz for $40 (not a bad deal I think). Current upgrades are a new Logitech UltraX keyboard which I want to upgrade because my old trustworthy Microsoft Natural Pro is just way too loud to use at 11pm (it still works, built like a tank and I really love it, had it for three years now, but it's just too darn loud, RIP, *sniff*) and a DVD burner, can you believe I still don't have one? And this one I really need because I'm always running out of disc space. Video card? Still using three year old ATI 8500LE, I'm tempted to upgrade it too, because that way my PC upgrade will finally be complete and I won't have to upgrade for another two-three years, but the only card that would match my CPU speed is 6800GT and it's waaaay too expensice right now, more than three times of what my current CPU cost me, ridiculous, isn't it? So I think I'll wait out on this one.

The only thing I regularly upgrade is hard drives. For example right now I'm running out of space again, less than 80Gb left spanned evenly over three hard drives, I want to buy a 400Gb Barracuda, but it's still hard to find at a reasonable price, currently waiting for buy.com to get it in stock.

If you think you can't control your upgrade urge, simple, get married and have kids.

Before I got married then kids, I can spend a couple thousand on computer stuff without blinking my eyes....like dual channel scsi card....500 bucks, cheetah 15K when it first came out, 800 bucks, mushkin rams, 600 bucks, etc. etc.

Trust me, now, I learn how much each diaper cost..children grow fast, forcing you to get bigger size diaper, clothing, then bottles, nipple, baby food...fun fun fun :)

in comparison, computer upgrades are cheap.

Don't forget a creche for the little one's (€350 a month for one kid) and a house (€1000 a month). Computers are dirt cheap.

[...snip...] At my girlfriends' work [...snip...]

How many girlfriends have you got? ;)

Ian

I didn't upgrade for quite awhile. Had a very stable Athlon 1000 that was happy running @ 1466MHz for 24 hours/day for months on end. Was hard to leave something so stable!

But photographic editing needs pushed me towards something faster. I thought about duals, but ended up getting a single AMD64 3500+ instead. After a few memory teething problems got worked out it is just as stable as the old 1GHz machine was. Very happy with the upgrade.

Ian

[...snip...] At my girlfriends' work [...snip...]

How many girlfriends have you got? ;)

Ian

grmbl

Read: "girlfriend's"

grmbl

Read: "girlfriend's"

Your English is excellent, I wasn't trying to say otherwise... Just thought the typo had interesting connotations. :)

Ian

Interesting??? Dangerous and expensive you mean!

Dangerous because they might find out. Either they kill you (horribly) or throw you out to have fun themselves. Best case scenario is you'll have them both but I don't believe in fairytales anymore.

Expensive because... well everyone who has a gf or wife knows about this.

;)

I'll be blunt about a P3 1ghz and 256meg RAM being sufiencent for desktop work ....

You can have my Athlon XP 2000+ and 1gig ram when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

I'll be blunt about a P3 1ghz and 256meg RAM being sufiencent for desktop work ....

You can have my Athlon XP 2000+ and 1gig ram when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

But it is sufficient. Doesn't mean that a faster machine is better.

Doesn't mean that a faster machine is better.

What do you mean? :blink:

Faster and stable is better otherwise I have wasted a lot of money. :D

Heck back in celery 300A/450 days, I built 3 of them, one of them is still happily running, being used by my mom for checking emails, doing tax returns, etc.

It's just very slow in my eyes, even with decent DSL connection speed, now days, websites have too much junk, require too much cpu power to process compare with the "good old" days.

For those of you who aren't married, consider the following anecdotal story on a couple fight..no, this did not happen on me, thank god.

A husband and wife got into an argument, both are mad....they pooled their asset, joint account, house is under wife's name...

Husband and wife both left their home, feeling angry, depressed, need an outlet..

Husband went for some golfing, drove around, visit friends...

Wife was much more efficient, grabbed all credit cards and shop..

Husband stayed in hotel and purposefully did not call home to check...

A few days later, husband dutifully went back home, admit defeat...because his credit card bounced...his wife shopped so much everyday, department store manager sent people to help her carry all the items home...

Multiple GF is hazardous to your health, having a wife then extra marital affair is asking for a slow suicide....health and financially...if you're lucky, it'll be a quick one :)

In that respect, sites like SR are the modern equivalents of the old BBS systems -  a number of regulars, a series of visitors, and evolving content.  In fact, my current handle is the one that I used starting in 1983 for the Indianopolis PC User's Board...

I run into very few people who even know what an old-style BBS is, let alone people that used them. I ran a very popular (for Idaho) BBS in 1995. The internet sort of killed the BBS world around 1996 though, but it was fun while it lasted.

In that respect, sites like SR are the modern equivalents of the old BBS systems -  a number of regulars, a series of visitors, and evolving content.  In fact, my current handle is the one that I used starting in 1983 for the Indianopolis PC User's Board...

I run into very few people who even know what an old-style BBS is, let alone people that used them. I ran a very popular (for Idaho) BBS in 1995. The internet sort of killed the BBS world around 1996 though, but it was fun while it lasted.

I started BBS back in 1983. By early 1990, most of the BBS are linked, those who aren't started to lose out and also by then, I discovered the joy of bitnet and of course, internet.

I administered a popular Diku MUD back in 1991-92 I think, it's been a while. We had some successful areas/mods that was incorporated into the later MERC Diku MUD.

I run into very few people who even know what an old-style BBS is, let alone people that used them.

My first BBS experience was on a Commodore64 with a borrowed 2400 baud modem! Connected to all the C64 BBS's in the Melbourne area (Australia), to see what cool stuff I could find, and have a chat with some of the other developers...

...Those were the days... not to forget all the ASCII pr0n one could look at...