test123

LT Winmodem 56K & W2K Help!

I need some help trying to get this internal LT Winmodem to work in W2K. This is a very common modem so maybe someone can help.

I had no problems at all in W98SE. Last August I built another system with W2K pro the modem worked initially. Then in Sept. I got DSL and now the modem does not seem to work. I just need the fax capability since I am using DSL now. I know several people that use both on one system.

I have tried many drivers from 6 to 8.22. However none seem to work. From my research any 8.xx driver causes havoc in W2K so it was suggested to use 6.0 instead. I tried 8.22 and the my system took forever to boot so I got rid of that right away. I downloaded 6.0 from driverguide and ran it. I added a new modem on COM1 and w2k said it was SUCCESSFUL. However, when I query the modem it said modem not found. I checked device manager and the device was working correctly with NO errors. I have also read that the 56K Standard with v.90 will also work. It was also successful on install but no modem detected.

This is very frustrating, what am I doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated!

What are the correct steps to install the modem?

I need some help trying to get this internal LT Winmodem to work in W2K.  This is a very common modem so maybe someone can help.

I had no problems at all in W98SE.  Last August I built another system with W2K pro the modem worked initially.  Then in Sept. I got DSL and now the modem does not seem to work.  I just need the fax capability since I am using DSL now.  I know several people that use both on one system. 

I have tried many drivers from 6 to 8.22.  However none seem to work.  From my research any 8.xx driver causes havoc in W2K so it was suggested to use 6.0 instead.  I tried 8.22 and the my system took forever to boot so I got rid of that right away.  I downloaded 6.0 from driverguide and ran it.  I added a new modem on COM1 and w2k said it was SUCCESSFUL.  However, when I query the modem it said modem not found.  I checked device manager and the device was working correctly with NO errors.  I have also read that the 56K Standard with v.90 will also work.  It was also successful on install but no modem detected.

This is very frustrating, what am I doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated!

What are the correct steps to install the modem?

Uninstall the drivers,

remove the modem,

reinstall the drivers,

install the modem.

Doing it any other way will produce symptoms like you refer to.

greg

If you have to rely on a modem get a good hardware based modem, winmodems only exist so that OEM's can throw them in for as little $ as possible. 3Com/US Robotics or Zoom are pretty much what i'd stick to.

Have you tried the 8.30s? http://modemsite.com/56k/ltwin77.asp

Winmodems are only as good as their drivers! There are advantages to a winmodem--if you bought before the v.90 standard you can "upgrade" to even the latest v.92 today, and I know they do work flawlessly now in 9x and XP--while my hardware-based Diamond modems will disconnect frequently (though USR/Hayes ones are fine).

Good thing I rarely have to resort to dial-up now.

Have you tried the 8.30s? http://modemsite.com/56k/ltwin77.asp

Winmodems are only as good as their drivers!  There are advantages to a winmodem--if you bought before the v.90 standard you can "upgrade" to even the latest v.92 today, and I know they do work flawlessly now in 9x and XP--while my hardware-based Diamond modems will disconnect frequently (though USR/Hayes ones are fine).

Good thing I rarely have to resort to dial-up now.

Or even pre v.90 modems can be upgraded to v.90 and then v.92 as is the case with some LTwinmodems.

First you have to determine whether your Lucent modem has a DSP or not. There are different drivers for the different families. Look at the modem and list the numbers you find on the chips and any and all model numbers on the card. Once we determine which modem you have, I can send you the latest drivers.

LTWinmodems I had great fun with these (not the not working but the altering drivers to get better facilities v.92 etc)

V.92 is not available on all LTModems (most pre Agere cannot unless you modify the drivers, I forget how now since I've been using BBand for over 2 years)

Also most of the are half Winmodem half hardmodem so you do get the benefits of both and also the downsides ;)

Get the driver from the people that make them not from some driverguide site ;)

http://www.agere.com/entnet/modem_driver2.html