honold

$30 5-port smc gigabit switch w/jumbo frames

Wow, good find! I've only got two Gigabit-capable computers right now, and one of them is using WiFi instead of wired, but I plan on upgrading my server to Gigabit soon, and a Gigabit connection from server to PC would be good, as I could finally store and edit video from the server directly.

Is it true that if one PC on a jumbo frame switch doesn't support jumbo frames, then all ports will not use jumbo frames?

If this is true, without going for something like a Cisco managed switch is there anything that will let you mix sizes?

Kind of reminds me of the original 10/100BT hubs that grouped them all together. Now $5 switches support both at once.

Anybody have one of these (5 or 8 port)? Speaking from Australia, this is a good price even without the rebates - these just aren't available at discount prices here anywhere. I'm considering having one shipped over but I need to find out more about the supplied power adapter. Will it accept an input of 240v? The physical plug shouldn't matter, I can pick up an adapter cheap (if I don't already have one somewhere..)

Anybody have one of these (5 or 8 port)?  Speaking from Australia, this is a good price even without the rebates - these just aren't available at discount prices here anywhere.  I'm considering having one shipped over but I need to find out more about the supplied power adapter.  Will it accept an input of 240v?  The physical plug shouldn't matter, I can pick up an adapter cheap (if I don't already have one somewhere..)

Proabably not. It most likely has one of those power bricks for 110v only.

You probably do have to get one of those little power adapter thingies.

i've placed tons of orders with buy.com and i've never had a problem, which means i've never had to contact them. contacting them is probably the problem, but who cares? it's certainly not worth a 2.5x premium just because you MIGHT have to call service.

i've placed tons of orders with buy.com and i've never had a problem, which means i've never had to contact them.  contacting them is probably the problem, but who cares?  it's certainly not worth a 2.5x premium just because you MIGHT have to call service.

A lot of the complaints were about them not shipping things on time, not shipping the right thing, etc. A 1.8 rating on reseller ratings raises a flag in my book, but YMMV. It's good that you haven't had any trouble with them, but a $50 difference isn't worth the hassle if they goof up the order.