chefwong

Bottlenecks - IDE vs. SATA/FW for DVD Dupes

Hi All -

After slaving away on working at my friends workplace to do some DVD authoring, I'm finally taking the plunge.

My workstation currently is a dual proc, Xeon setup which runs just fine. My HD config is WD JB series. I currently have 2 Plextor CDR drive - 1 CDR and one CDRW burner.

I'm planning to swap these puppies out. With that in mind, I have my eyes on new Plextors. Plextor makes a SATA DVDR drive , but unfortunately it's not dual layer.

They do offer an internal Dual Layer DVD drive, IDE bus or an External FW/USB 2.0.

My prefereed setup is the IDE DVDR drives due to space constraints . However, will I NOTICE that much of a difference when burning DVDR at 4X as far as IO bottlenecking ? I'm currently burning on IDE which is fine however, with DVDR , there is 7 to 14 Times the amount of data being burned.

I would definetly have went with the SATA drive had it not offered Dual Layer DVD burning.

Um, you can record DVD at 4x over an ISA bus, so nothing will be 'noticeable'.

Assuming you have a PC-DL, it would be best to have the devices with the most i/o attached to the native ICH5R SATA ports and not the Promise ones that are on the PCI bus.

Plextor has PX-712 in SATA model, as you know.

However, most don't know that it is just the IDE/ATA version with a PATA->SATA converter.

You can buy a generic PATA->SATA converter and it will work with the Plextor.

Now, Plextor just came out with a DL burner PX-716.

Unfortunately, the only shipment (in USA and Japan) is of horrible quality.

So, Plextor EU has decided not to release it in EU untill the problems are fixed (later in November or December, that's my guess).

Also, as for the speeds:

If you have a ATA drive as a master on it's own (alone) in an IDE-channel, you can burn up-to 16x DVD speeds with no problems (your SATA HDs can take it easily).

Only if you are burning using the same ATA channel from a HD (master or slave) to a dvd burner (slave or master) you are going to have trouble in terms of maximum write speeds and cpu utilisation rates.

regards,

halcyon

PS I run 9 opticals in my own system, 6 of them in ATA/IDE format. No problems whatsoever in max reading / max burning.

My prefereed setup is the IDE DVDR drives due to space constraints . However, will I NOTICE that much of a difference when burning DVDR at 4X as far as IO bottlenecking ? I'm currently burning on IDE which is fine however, with DVDR , there is 7 to 14 Times the amount of data being burned.

I would definetly have went with the SATA drive had it not offered Dual Layer DVD burning.

According to kprobe2, my LiteOn SOHW-1633S burst data rate is only 26.76 MB/sec. So there is plenty of bandwidth in the ATA-100 interface for your DVD writer!

Are there even any DVD drives that utilize a UDMA mdoe higher than UDMA mode 2 (33MB/sec)?

If there are, I haven't seen one.

Plextor has PX-712 in SATA model, as you know.

However, most don't know that it is just the IDE/ATA version with a PATA->SATA converter.

You can buy a generic PATA->SATA converter and it will work with the Plextor.

Now, Plextor just came out with a DL burner PX-716.

Unfortunately, the only shipment (in USA and Japan) is of horrible quality.

So, Plextor EU has decided not to release it in EU untill the problems are fixed (later in November or December, that's my guess).

Also, as for the speeds:

If you have a ATA drive as a master on it's own (alone) in an IDE-channel, you can burn up-to 16x DVD speeds with no problems (your SATA HDs can take it easily).

Only if you are burning using the same ATA channel from a HD (master or slave) to a dvd burner (slave or master) you are going to have trouble in terms of maximum write speeds and cpu utilisation rates.

regards,

halcyon

PS I run 9 opticals in my own system, 6 of them in ATA/IDE format. No problems whatsoever in max reading / max burning.

Congratulations on your Optical Burning Tower success, unfortunately, the one I built sucks. Care to give me some suggestions???

I built a 6 Drive CD Burning tower here at work using 6 * Lite-on PATA 52* Burners on an Intel 865 motherboard and a PROMISE U100TX2 2Channel Ultra ATA100 PCI IDE HDD Controller, 2.8Ghz P4, 1G of Dual channel RAM. (Windows 2000 SP4).

A Western Digital 72G Raptor sits on one of the SATA ports, and if I'm burning from an image on the drive to 4 drives it works a treat.

Unfortunately if I attempt to burn from the image to 6 drives (where drives 5 and 6 are on the masters on the 2 channels of the Promis controller it all goes to hell). Burn time goes up from around 4 minutes to 15 minutes and the drives burn in turn 4, then 2, then 4 like some mad Christmas tree.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Currently I only burn to 4 drives at a time to avoid the problem entirely.

I'm using Nero as the burning software.

I await your sagely advice... <grin>

Thanks in advance.