Clocker

Why there's no flu vaccine

Subject: Paul Harvey: Why there's no flu vaccine.

The major pharmaceutical companies in the US provided almost 90% of the

nations flu vaccine at one time. They did this despite a very low profit

margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor. In the late

80's a man from North Carolina who had received the vaccine got the flu.

The strain he caught was one of the strains in that years vaccine made by a

US company. What did he do? He sued and he won. He was awarded almost $5

million! After that case was appealed and lost, most US pharmaceutical

companies stopped making the vaccine.

The liability out weighed the profit margin. Since UK and Canadian laws

prohibit such frivolous law suits UK and Canadian companies began selling

the vaccine in the US.

By the way...the lawyer that represented the man in the flu shot law suit

was a young ambulance chaser by the name of John Edwards.

.......and now you know the rest of the story.

Isn't it a well known fact that a certain percentage of people who receive a flu vaccination get the strain that the vaccine protects against? How can someone possible sue for this, let along win? And I thought the McDonalds coffee cup lawsuit was ridiculous.

This is one of those American jokes we Europeans laugh at.

As well you should.You folks should get another good laugh next Tuesday. :unsure:

In case anyone doesn't read it, Honold's link basically says that the UK/Canada/John Edwards/lawsuit theory regarding the flu vaccine is incorrect on multiple levels.

On a side note, i must say i dont believe that getting Vaccines for something as "simple" as the flu, should even be applied.

The body becomes more resistant to far worse diseases, than the flu, by actually fighting it.

So all in all i dont think vaccines for simpler diseases should be applied, especially to smaller children.

And if you get sick, too bad, go drink some hot tea, and lie in your bed for a few days ;)

Darking

So all in all i dont think vaccines for simpler diseases should be applied, especially to smaller children.

And if you get sick, too bad, go drink some hot tea, and lie in your bed for a few days ;)

Darking

Darking didn't specify what he termed "simpler diseases", so I'll assume the worst, that he is on the anti-childhood innoculation scare campaign.

As the father of two, with a brother who is a doctor, and a potential father-in-law who is an M.D./Phd. that runs a major research facility - let me simply say this:

Get your children innoculated! Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 - do NOT pass on the basic childhood innoculations for Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) or Polio!!!

I won't go into all the detals here, but suffice to say that my ex-wife and I had a huge battle over this, which she taking the "oh, it isn't natural, and those vaccines have been proven to cause the actual diseases, and some children have bad reactions..."

This is bullpucky, and the result of a few non-medically authored scare articles has become the cause of MASSIVE measles outbreaks in developed countries around the world, particularly in England and other European countries that nearly had eliminated the diseases a few decades ago. My brother who is a doctor in London sees a huge upswing in childhood blindness, caused by parents not getting the MMR for their children because of this idiocy. So many parents have done this in some areas that we have lost "herd immunity" from these diseases, and a single case can spread like wildfire through a pre-school or childcare facility, causing multiple cases of measles. Childhood measles is the cause of permanent blindness and occasionally brain damage in a minority of cases - a minority, but a very real number. Don't let this happen to your child - you will never forgive yourself.

Please read a good reference to childhood innoculations and measels.

Sorry to go off, this is important, unlike most of the political dicussions in the B&G...

Future Shock

Oh no im not some rabiant anti-drug thing, dont worry.

Smallpox fx. i think is a good idea to get innoculated for. On the other hand, if you get it while your a child, you wont get some of the worse sideaffects it can have, if your infected as an adult, its a twoedge sword i guess. Measels can be very bad too. not just when your a child, and as far as i recall, the vacinations arent permanent, but last for 5-10 years.

Ive had all the "normal" childhood diseases when i was a kid, and i turned out perfectly okay! ;)

I know im sort of agumenting against myself here, but then again... i wont decide whats best for your child, its up to the parents... But believing that all the worlds problems go away with a magic vaccination, that i hope we never come to.

Penicillin(sp?) resistance is getting a bigger and bigger problem, to make even moderately harmful diseases deadly, because we are pumped full of it each and every day.

But something as common as the flu, should not be nessersary to vaccinate against.

Darking

They did this despite a very low profit margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor.

Business don't do people 'favors'. They're in for profit in any form.

Isn't it a well known fact that a certain percentage of people who receive a flu vaccination get the strain that the vaccine protects against? How can someone possible sue for this, let along win? And I thought the McDonalds coffee cup lawsuit was ridiculous.

The chimp's bad aura turned our courts into a zoo.

Let's fix the nation!

Vote Kerry '04!

They did this despite a very low profit margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor.

Let's fix the nation!

Vote Kerry '04!

You can blame bush for events that occured 20 years before he was president?

Wow, is it too late to blame pearl harbour on President Clinton?

'the chimp' crap, was old a year ago, and has become more borish since.

Let's fix the nation!

Vote Kerry '04!

You can blame bush for events that occured 20 years before he was president?

Wow, is it too late to blame pearl harbour on President Clinton?

'the chimp' crap, was old a year ago, and has become more borish since.

It got worse after the chimp took the helm. I've never seen a worse leader in the USA since well.... just think back.

Kerry/Edwards '04!

I've personally always blamed Clinton for the crucifixion...

Other people just blame him for a bj. ;)

This was old news but about two weeks or so ago, I was watching ABC news. They reported members of congress were getting flu shots as well as their staff while there is a shortage.

I did not take flu shot this year, instead, I went for flumist. There is not as bad of a shortage as flu shot. It doesn't hurt and is effective. The only downside to flumist is cost and age limitation. Flu shot covers a wider range of age, not flu mist.

Those members of congress and staff, who are over 6 years old but less than 50, and healthy, really have no reason to take flu shots, but should take flu mist....

I want to write more on this but no time, gotta go change some diapers. I don't believe John Edwards really caused this shortage, it's more complicated, mostly due to profit in my opinion and lack of oversight....

I want to write more on this but no time, gotta go change some diapers.  I don't believe John Edwards really caused this shortage, it's more complicated, mostly due to profit in my opinion and lack of oversight....

That's good, cause the main post of this thread is a total work of fiction.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo