Defiler

Terrible SCSI performance in Windows XP

leokor: If it's not installation support, it cost $$$, correct?

I've never had to call them before when I wasn't on a site-license support contract.

You also get two free support "incidents" if you've got a retail version.

Leo

no, I have not tried windows 2000 yet.

I got my video system working with the MSI k7t266a pro2 (non raid, non usb2.o) and have not messed with it since.

I am putting together 2 more sytems, One with the msi k7n 420d and one with my asus a7n266e, and I will put win2k pro on one, and win 98 on the other and see what happens. Unless anyone has something else they would like to suggest.

System is currently very stable and gets good performance with the MSI k7t 266a. The overall performance is not as fast as the nforce solutions. my read speed from raid with nforce always went as high as 100MB/s and was 80MB/s average for files in the 100-500MB range from the RAID0 Iwill card. The onboard gave me about 80MB/s max and 50MB/s average for the same test. The write speed to the onboard IDE single drive with the Nforce chipsets was always about 30MB/s. Now with the 266a I have 40MB/s write and 40MB/s read with the Raid 0 two D740X 40GB drives.

Since all hardware and software is the same in the 266a chipset system, I assume that the Write speed problem in the Nforce is due to some hardware issue or driver problem. XP drivers and sofware are still questionable to me.... sometimes it works, and sometimes it don't. All the software I have been using on win95/98 seemed to work most of the time, but I have so for found very little that functions 95% or better in XP.

I bought an HP DVD100i DVD burner for my system and bought it because a review said it came bundled with better software. Well, the bundled software won't even burn a DVD Video.

None of the XP drivers listed on the Highpoint web site will even boot up in my system... you get to the starting windows screen and it locks. The raid configurator software will not configure a raid from inside windows XP. The software actually gets the configuration to the Iwill card because you can reboot and it is there, but when you try it, you get an error stating configuration failed and the software locks... ctrl alt del and kill the process. So for now, I am stuck with the default windows driver.

The DVD Impression software that came with my pinnacle DV500+ Editing card would not burn a DVD. Now let me state that Pinnacle did fix this, and they have a version of impression out now 2.2 Beta that will burn DVD Video.

I have bad conflicts with all cd/dvd player recording apps.

I have PowerDVD,INCD, HP DLA, HP DVD Writer, FileCD2.0, Impression 2.2, Nero 5.5.7.8, MY DVD,Nero Media player, Quicktime Player, DV500+, and HP Record Now CD/DVD applications. And most of these applications cause problems if you try to run two of them at the same time. HP DLA is just pure hell it don't seem to run with anything. I have removed DLA.

I am not saying that all individual softwares are bad, just that things don't work together as stable yet as I am used to with 95/98. But then again editing Dual stream DV video in real time while running 24 other processes was most likely impossible in 95/98.

Went back to Win2K. Much better performance. I can't believe how much faster 2000 is compared to XP. Less overhead I guess. No more SCSI problems either...... I'll wait for XP's SP2.... :)

Bud

a Little off topic here, but can any of you out there with a raid setup. Try this?

I can start to defrag my raid drive, and then start performance monitor in XP pro and BAM I get an automatic reboot.

If some of you can try the same, maybe we can figure out if I have a problem, or if it is more than just my ignorance.

I get this in a lot of situations. I really can't run the performance monitor while doing anything or else I get the restart crash.

Just curious....

Thanks.

Might this be a fix?

From what I have read, there are windows 2000 users experiencing the same issues as windows XP.

this problem dissappears to users with Service Pack 2. (from what I've read)

I've found a possible fix with Adaptec 6.0.4000.200 drivers dated 21/02/2001.

I'll be testing when I get home from work. Figured I post here if someone wanted to try them out.

I didn't have a chance to call Microsoft support on Monday. But in the meantime, I have found another pecularity. My other, older system now exhibits a totally opposite behavior. Its writes are perfectly fine, thought the reads are deadly slow! How does an Intel platform differ from AMD, it's just too funny! :)

Leo

I got a reply from Microsoft on this today.  Tekram has released a new BIOS for XP that is supposed to address this problem.  I have not tried it yet.

Wow! Thanks for pointing that out. That should greatly help my X15-36LP that runs off Tekram. It even says "Changes: Fix problems with Seagate Cheetah drives." Now I only need the same kind of stuff from 3ware and Advansys, and I'm all set! :)

Leo

I'll flash this BIOS this evening, and get back with the results.

The file date on this BIOS is scary, though:

Version:

File:

BIOS419.ZIP

Date:

3/8/03

Size:

103KB

Changes:

Fix problems with Seagate Cheetah drives

Might this be a fix?

From what I have read,  there are windows 2000 users experiencing the same issues as windows XP.

this problem dissappears to users with Service Pack 2.  (from what I've read)

I've found a possible fix with Adaptec 6.0.4000.200 drivers dated 21/02/2001. 

I'll be testing when I get home from work.  Figured I post here if someone wanted to try them out.

I couldn't find the driver you mentioned above at adaptec website, could you show me where to get that driver??

thanks.

I ran the test again with this new BIOS, no improvement.

I'd post a screenshot, but it's identical to the last that I took with the Tekram card.

I have a Tekram DC-390U2W with one 9Gb Seagate Cheetah 18XL (ST39204LW), one older Cheetah 9LP (ST39102LW) and one Barracuda 18XL (ST318275LW).

This thread had me worried, so I tried the same ATTO tests. The interesting thing is that my results seem ok, i.e. write 5-10% less than reads, for all three drives.

Is this hardware is comparable with yours? If so, maybe we can work out what the difference is caused by?

Cheers

Keith

Greedy: You have Windows XP, I take it?

Could you post a screenshot of your ATTO results with that Cheetah 18XL?

Also, you've got the Ultra2 version of the Tekram board, I've got the Ultra160. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I ran the test again with this new BIOS, no improvement.

I'd post a screenshot, but it's identical to the last that I took with the Tekram card.

Same here. :(

Leo

Here are my results from a few weeks ago in windows XP Pro using a Tekram DC390U3W (BIOS 4.18B0) and a quantum atlas 10KIII 18 GB drive:

atto10KIII-1.jpg

Well, here are mine. Windows XP Professional, Asus A7N266-E. The first screenshot is for my X15-36LP on Tekram DC-390U3W, the second shot is for my Escalade 6400 RAID array. See and weep! :)

Leo

ATTO_Applications.gif

ATTO_Data.gif

I forgot to add this is on a MB using a VIA chipset.  See sig. below:

Well, my motherboard has the nForce chipset. No VIA connection whatsoever.

Leo

leokor, those are the results I got with both Nforce board I tried.... MSIK7n 420 d and ASUS a7n266e. I am seeing more people with problems running firewire through the PCI bus on the nforce boards too.... anything that requires more than 2.84MB/s or so in the write direction is in trouble.

Sorry, but I hope someone finds a solution.