Defiler

Terrible SCSI performance in Windows XP

I got something for you guys to try.

Download Powerstrip and try increasing the latency of the controller. I have had great success helping others with both ide and scsi devices by doing this. I help setup raid on another website mostly.

Worth a shot. It has greatly helped the write scores and to a lesser extent the reads for many folks. I use on every system to squeeze out the last ouce of performance from my systems.

If you check it real fast and have a latency on the controller of say 32 or 64 you can probably greatly increase the scores on atto by bumping it up.

Good Luck

Tex

I got something for you guys to try.

Download Powerstrip and try increasing the latency of the controller.  I have had great success helping others with both ide and scsi devices by doing this.  I help setup raid on another website mostly.

Powerstrip is not really a good keyword to seach the net for. The only Powerstrip software I found was at:

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm.

Also mentioned at :http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_3139.html

And that as for graphics card accleration. Where is the one you are talking about?

Most folks think of it for use to tweak graphic cards but it can also be used to tweak the pci latency of every individual pci device.

Its on most graphic card sites. This isnt the latest version but it should work. It was just one that showed up quick on a search. The latest version id like 3.29 or something.

Or email me and I'll be glad to shoot ya a copy and walk ya thru it.

Tex

m-k-withers@attbi.com

http://www.downseek.com/download/21155.asp

Remember I never promised a miracle cure but if the latecy is set real low it should help.

Good Luck

Tex

The miracle will have to come from Microsuxs. This is just something to massage it a bit hopefully.

Tex

I just did a test and reinstalled win98 and sure enough running ATTO the scsi performance was stellar. No slow writes or reads. Just sweet fast performance. So what are our choices if we dont want slow performance? Run win98/nt40 ?

Been helping a buddy today in another forum. He was getting horrible scsi scores and by using powerstrip and maxing the pci latency he just hit almost 120,000 on his atto reads on a 3 disk softraid array and 80,000 on the writes. This is on winxp.

The first writes were 9,000 also so it looks tons better. Did anyone here try the powerstrip yet?

I asked him to come post his atto's here. Hopefully he will show up soon or email me the atto's so I can post them for him.

Could the problems be latency related all this time?

Cheers

Tex

Ooops quick correction. The scores above I quoted and thought it was a 3 disk softraid were only for a 2 disk softraid. (grin) Somebody else better get to testing this !

Tex

Im not sure what is goin on here but I have been working all day on this and I got some impressive scores. I thought it was a fluke so I ran ATTO again and got the same numbers. Tex and I have been doing this since 10am hahah... What a pain this is. If only MS would put this at the top of there list so we dont need 600+ posts to try and solve this on our own.

Well heres the pic anyhow. xp_wtf.gif All I did here was run 2 disks (Seagate SCSI Cheetah 15000rpm 18.4G) raid and powerstripe with the SCSI controller (Adaptec 29160) latency setting of 248.... Im not sure how it ended up this way but I can tell you I will try not to format until they have a fix for it :D

Thanks Tex!

Hey folks! It has probably been over a year and a half since I have posted anything, but it's good to be back. I first started following this website from its conception, but didn't start posting until '99 I believe. I have continued to come back from time to time, but my Ph.D. research has been so intense, that I had to limit my addiction to reading the SR messageboard. I stopped posting before the database went down, so I had to resubmit my profile. Anyway, I have been following this Windows XP SCSI thread, and I am quite disappointed that moving to Windows XP would cause a huge performance hit. I installed XP on my wife's computer (which has a Quantum Fireball Plus LM), and it runs beautifully. However, I have a Seagate Cheetah X15, and have been waiting for Microsoft to fix the issue before I decide to upgrade.

First, my question to all of you is this: Why do you want to upgrade to Windows XP? Is it the new features? Is it the new pretty layout? Is it the support for new technologies?

After toying around with XP for quite some time on my wife's computer, I have noticed that the main difference (IMHO) that XP offers over win2k is a cleaner, prettier, and non-eyestraining graphic user interface. I feel that other than those attributes, I cannot see any benefit of "upgrading" to Windows XP.

I truly LOVE the interface that XP offers, and that would be the ONLY reason I would upgrade to XP from 2k. So for those of you who want XP for the sole reason of the pretty interface, then read on (otherwise, ignore me altogether). An idea recently came to my mind. I had played around with a program in the past called Object Desktop. It includes a few programs called IconPackager, WebBlinds, WindowsFX, and ObjectBar. At the Object Desktop website, they allow users to upload their own GUI "mods". There are several XP mods that you can download, but only one that is really fully functional (meaning....one mod for each of the programs I just mentioned). It took me several weeks of trial and error to come up with the correct combination of mods that worked perfectly. These programs load at boot-up, and are not at all memory hogs. Again, I am running windows 2000, and my OS looks EXACTLY like Windows XP now. When placed next to my wife's computer running XP, you cannot tell the difference. The only difference you would notice is if you open My Computer or Control Panel......which does not give you XP's active menus on the left side of the window. The IconPackager installs all of XP's icons into win2k; WebBlinds installs XP's IE6 icons into 2k's IE6; WindowsFX gives shadow and cleartype support; and ObjectBar installs winXP's bar and startmenu. All I can say is that it looks beautiful! I get to have the clean look of XP, and keep the speed associated with having a 15k rpm SCSI drive with Win2k, without the memory hog of XP's bloatware. I have to admit, it took me several weeks to perfect the program to my liking.....and it can be somewhat of a headache to set it up properly. However, it gets really easy once you learn how to use the software. I doubt I will EVER move to Windows XP now. I think the company that makes Object Desktop offers demos on these programs, but I'm not sure. The website is www.stardock.com , and the site with the mods is www.wincustomize.com . DO NOT use the DesktopX program included in this software package, b/c I have never been able to get it to work properly. Just let me know if any of you want me to FTP my XP theme files to you (ie....the mod files for IconPackager, WebBlinds, and ObjectBar.....note: WindowsFX doesn't need a mod file since it's just for shadows and cleartype). I can't gaurantee that it will work for you, and I can't gaurantee that it won't mess things up (i doubt it would since you can save your old settings and revert back to them). Therefore, use it at your own risk. If someone has already posted something about these programs, then please disregard this whole post. I just thought it might be interesting for those of you who are running win2k with SCSI drives, and wanted XP b/c of it's cool look. Again, I am sorry if this is a little off topic......just tryin to help you guys out until Microsoft comes out with a SCSI fix for XP. Anyway, it's good to be back!

CC

Has there been any progress on this? This thread hasn't seen a new post in over 30 days which is some what strange. This is the place I look for info on the problem and I just want to make sure I'm not missing something...

Unfortunately (IMO) several people have decided that this thread was unmanageable and so have started separate threads, so there is no longer a single thread to follow on this topic.

However, nothing new has been posted in terms of a fix for this problem, so you haven't missed anything.

I've had the same problem..

Some specs:

WinXP Pro

Amd Athlon XP 1900+

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP

512 MB DDR PC2100

Adaptec 29160N

Seagate Cheetah X15 36LP ST318452LW

First I did was converting my disk to a dynamic disk, that helped.

Then I installed the pci latecy patch, that didnt help.

Then I installed RPP - Raid Performance Patch, it's for raid.. but i've read somewhere that it helps.. (dont know if it helped for me)

Then I installed Ultra160 Driver Release Candidate 1 for my Adaptec 29160N controller.

And offcourse I installed the Via4in1 drivers.

My write speeds are increased.. And I think my scores are normal now right? :/

atto.gif

Sorry for my bad english :)

I have tried Object Desktop / Window Blinds on win2k, and IMHO it completely screws the stability which I cherish.

Thanks for the tip Tex. I have an Adaptec 29160 and Quantum AtlasV 7200rpm. My sisoft score increased by 4000 points and my ATTO is getting around 27000 writes and 32000 reads in the middle of the test. It's alot better than it was just still not what I want in performance. But your right this will hold me over until Microshaft gets this problem fixed. I can actually see the improvement in load times and just basic operation.

Thanks

Tex: i've skimmed through the 7th page and read all the way through the 8th, i don't see where exactly to change latency using powerstrip.

i'm sure a walkthrough would be appreciated.

my quick guess is: options > adapter info

then i can start changing latency values?

i'm going to try reading this thread from beginning to end tomorrow.

First, right click on the icon in the task bar and select "options",

Then, "Adapter information",

Then, in the upper right you will see up and down arrows, scroll to your scsi adapter,

Look for a check box that says read only and remove the check from that box,

Now you can change the latency of anything on that page!

Good Luck,

Fred's Bro

i downloaded powerstrip and gave it a shot

first of all, is it normal to have 2 SCSI devices listed? they have different addresses, so it looks like i really do have 2 controllers, but i don't (2 show up in device manager too)

so i ran PS, and i thought you said LOWER the latency, so i put it from 248 to 32

my scores decreased about 10mb/s in write and read. i tried almost everything in between 32 and 248, and i think 248 still gave me the best

(i also poked around my AGP latency timing too, but i don't think my graphics card performance changed much)

my specs:

Athlon XP 1800

MSI KT7 turbo (2?)

LSI U160 single channel

cheetah x-15 36lp

winXP

as it stands, atto reports i get about 36mb/s writes, and 44 mb/s reads

i have the PCI latency patch installed (perhaps that's why my card was set at 248 already?)

i do have the latest 4in1's

i don't remember if i have the raid performance patch, i guess i'll try that next. and i check the LSI site for bios/drivers upgrade every week, but they just say to use winXP drivers

i still love the quick access times of the cheetah, but copying files to itself is strangely slow (14mb/s (7 reading, 7 writing) in the performance charts) and some other things involving sustained transfers is lower than what even ATTO shows

my latency is already as high as it could go, and i've got the pci latency patch installed as well.

maybe i should try the raid preformance patch. last time, it really messed with my r/w speeds.