DigitalFreak

Seagate 300GB IDE @ Best Buy

Don't know if this is old news, but I saw a retail boxed Seagate 300GB hard drive @ Best Buy today. It was an Ultra ATA model with an 8MB buffer. Don't recall the model number, and they only had 1. 200GB drives were on clearance.

Don't know if this is old news, but I saw a retail boxed Seagate 300GB hard drive @ Best Buy today.  It was an Ultra ATA model with an 8MB buffer.  Don't recall the model number, and they only had 1.  200GB drives were on clearance.

is that the 7200.8?

Other users reported this response from Seagate:

-------

>When will the Barracuda 7200.8 be available in the retail channel? Last I

>heard was Q4/2004.

Greetings Jason,

Seagate is working hard to release this model as soon as possible. The

ETA date changes constantly from distributor to distributor but we are

tentatively looking forward to see this drive in around December - January

time frame.

Regards,

Ahiezer B.

Disc Presales

Don't know if this is old news, but I saw a retail boxed Seagate 300GB hard drive @ Best Buy today.  It was an Ultra ATA model with an 8MB buffer.  Don't recall the model number, and they only had 1.  200GB drives were on clearance.

Really, are you sure? I went to the BB website and couldn't find it. What's the price?

Yes, they're 300GB. I saw them at the local Best Buy here as well. $249.99. Not a bad price, especially when the 300GB Maxtor right next to it was $370 or something like that. I assume they are 7200.8 drives, but the box made no mention of any features at all so I couldn't tell you for sure. I don't remember the model #, but it doesn't matter because retail products have different model #'s than the OEM drives and there is no 300GB retail drive listed on Seagate's site anyway.

Purchased the 300GB Seagate drive from Best Buy yesterday - the label says it is a Barracuda 7200.8 and the model # is ST3300831A (which I can't find on the Seagate website). The system this drive is going to be installed in does not have any HDD benchmarking software but I can try and set up if anyone would be interested. The drive retails for $249, quite a bit less than the $369 for the other 300GB they have on the shelf.

@ejk87:

Is there anyway to know how many platters it is composed of?

Almost sure it has 3 platters, but just to make sure...

I think Seagate is using 100GB platters in these drives. This is bad news.

This would be old technology.

Many platters: more noise, more heat, and less lifetime.

arga,

The easiest way to find what kind of drive you have would be to test the maximum sequential transfer rate: a 7200.7 (100GB/p) gets you almost 65MB/s where the 7200.8 (133 GB/p) should get you 68MB/s or more. Average transfer rates or burst values would not tell you much.

If you only get 65 MB/s, you probably have hit a three platter 100GB/p drive which is the equivalent of the latest Maxtor Maxline whatever, albeit with a smaller cache.

Keep us in the know!

This looks great, Seagate is moving ahead in the Gigabyte/platter race.

Yéti

@yeti:

This looks great, Seagate is moving ahead in the Gigabyte/platter race.

I am not so sure...

anyway, lets see if someone with the disc can do the sequential reads...

or hell, just tear the damn drive apart, and count the platters, that would be far more reliable, heh!

Seagate gave me these retail prices for them:

300GB $199 USD

400GB $299 USD

Wonder why it was so expensive at BB. Unless that is CDN $

It would be great if those were real prices, this also could mean that we could get them for less from online retailers...

As for BB charging over MSRP, it's not that unusual, a week ago they were selling Plextor's new burner 716A for $30 above MSRP too. Scumbags, but what can you do?

@ejk87:

Is there anyway to know how many platters it is composed of?

Almost sure it has 3 platters, but just to make sure...

I think Seagate is using 100GB platters in these drives. This is bad news.

This would be old technology.

Many platters: more noise, more heat, and less lifetime.

The question is, what do they prefer manufacturing? 3 platters versus 133 GB platters? I guess the 133 GB platter is more expensive, thus only using it for the 400 GB version.

2.5x100 = 250

3x100 = 300

2x133 = 266

2.5X133 = 332.5

3x133 = 399

The red numbers are the possible ones, which means that they're all 3 platter versions.

okay, from the pointed articles at google news:

The company also launched higher capacity products like GB Barracuda 7200.8 of 250GB, 300GB and 400GB capacities for high end PCs and 200GB, 300GB and 400GB DB35 Series drives for digital video recorders.

I would say, the 250GB and 300GB models are clearly using old 100GB platters.

And what about the 400GB model?

Most probably, the same platters. 100GB. :(