HisMajestyTheKing

Trackpoint or touchpad?

What do you prefer? A friend of mine swears by the touchpad on his laptop while I can't stand the things and greatly prefer a trackpoint.

I wish they still put trackballs in laptops.

Out of the other two, it depends on what I'm doing and how I'm set up (ie. on a plane vs. on my desk). I kinda hate them both, and plug in a mouse whenever possible.

I get lost and confused when i use a track point :ph34r: I really like the touch pad, but my friend swears by the pointer stick.... :blink:

Buy two laptops and pick the one you like and return the one you dont... :D

What do you prefer?  A friend of mine swears by the touchpad on his laptop while I can't stand the things and greatly prefer a trackpoint.

Don't care for either one, but I like Alps touchpads better than the trackpoint on my IBM.

Neither touchpad nor trackpoint are accurate enough for me.

I do a lot of detailed graphics work, and though I'd love to go portable, I've yet to find a laptop with a built-in graphics tablet. Seems odd 'cos I'm sure you could squeeze a proper pressure-sensitive A6 tablet between the keyboard and front of most laptops.

On my PC I use a graphics tablet exclusively.

Tablet PCs may be heading in the right direction - but I need to have access to the keyboard at the same time as the screen, so this rotating the screen and folding back over the keyboard doesn't work for me. I also find no details or specs about the resolution and accuracy of the pen input on various makes of Tablet PC, so suspect they're not up to graphics work yet. In addition, for some reason Tablet PCs seem to be lower spec than their traditional notebook counterparts - and for graphics work high spec and high performance is highly desirable. Finally I worry about longevity - the surface of my graphics tablet is in a terrible state... if it was my screen too it would be unusable.

Touchpad, mostly, trackpoint if I'm in one of those desperately lazy moods whence I cannot be bothered to move my finger the 3cm it takes to utilize a touchpad.

But I also prefer trackballs overall... wish this laptop had one...

Having both on my Laptop I prefer the TouchPad and rearly use the trackpoint at all.

I also like to use the tapzones and scrolling parts of it enabled by the Syanptics software (Synaptics old black one used in Dell Inspiron 4100 and similar aged Dells)

It no so good for games or accurate work (neither are) but general Windows GUI/Office/Internet I find it far better and less work than a mouse :)

I disabled the touchpad on my ThinkPad in the BIOS the very first time I turned it on. If I'm portable, it's the TrackPoint for me.

My last laptop with a trackball was a 486, and it's amazing that they haven't been on laptops since--esp given that optical trackballs have been around for ten years.

But nothing beats a Touchscreen or a Tablet for playing Diablo.

They make a touchscreen attachment for my plasma television but it costs twice as much as the TV! Too bad, it would be like Minority Report...

My last laptop with a trackball was a 486, and it's amazing that they haven't been on laptops since--esp given that optical trackballs have been around for ten years.

I guess a certain minimum ball diameter is needed, which may be tricky to achieve in thin notebooks. Back in their day, they had the reputation of being more dreckballs than trackballs, needing cleaning pretty frequently - mechanical and not optical, obviously. Sure, optical trackballs have been around for quite a while, but since when are optical *mice* really mainstream? 4 or 5 years perhaps.

I can get along with an older Synaptics touchpad quite well (after adjusting sensitivity), though in the end the old-style rodent in an optical version (cheapo Logi OEM is enough, M-BJ69 here) still is best by a fair margin. Never had a trackstick (my first notebook had no built-in pointing device and used the old MS BallPoint Mouse, and the second and current one only features a touchpad [later models also had a trackstick]). I rather doubt a touchscreen would be ideal for all-day computing life (say, browsing the web) - I imagine it would be more straining for the hand affected in the long term.

One of my friends had the IBM with the tiny pantograph-like mouse that popped out of the right edge of the laptop on a little arm. Worked surprisingly well, certainly a lot finer control than a touchpad or trackpoint.

One of the few things that I like about my Dell Latitude D600 from work is that it has both trackpoint and touchpad. I have used a trackpoint for years on IBM laptops that I have had, and never liked the touchpad. But after a while, I have come to use the touchpad exclusively. One thing that I like is the side and bottom scroll areas, whereby I can reserve a the rightmost and bottommost areas for use as sliding scroll controllers. This is great, especially for web browsing and document review. There is just no way (that I know) to do that with a trackpoint.

I tried using both enabled at once to get the best of both worlds - but your palm will probably scrape the touchpad when you use the trackpoint, which will soon drive you crazy as the cursor moves unpredictably...

When all is said and done, I really like the Logitech Notebook Mouse that I bought recently over everthing else. Small, light, and the new one even allows you to store the USB reciever inside the mouse. Highly recommended - I prefer it even to my larger Logitech MX500 wireless mouse that I use at home. But then again, I have smaller hands...

Future Shock

I'm less than happy with the new Thinkpads which feature both trackpoint and touchpad. Even when disabled, something about the touchpad bugs me - I simply can't stand the sensation of my hand resting on it. When I have some room to spare though I use a real mouse. Especially when I'm going to work for a longer time on a laptop. Unless I'm lazy and lying in the couch, unable to decide whether I should watch TV, do some work or try again to find a new job.